cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you think developers are thinking enough about gaming fatigue?

NoRestarts
Protege
In my opinion, developers are making some great experiences, but haven't put a lot of thought into long term gameplay using the touch controllers. Standing experiences are great, but after a certain amount of time you just want to sit down. The amount of time varies, but it's certainly not in the same ballpark as some of the marathon sessions I've had on my PC monitor.

I've been able to play a lot of standing games just fine while sitting in a chair. Some games, like The Unspoken, all the action takes place in front of you, so there is no need to turn around. In other games, like Robo Recall and Arizona Sunshine, you can teleport to change direction and look behind you. Once I mastered that mechanic, I was able to play the games moving only my head and arms. Turning my body became a pointless exercise, and I was able to play the game for much longer periods.

Is it just me, or has anybody else been having a fun time in the rift and had to put it down because of fatigue, wishing you could still play, and then went back to playing 2D games on a monitor or console?
23 REPLIES 23

SadGamerDad
Heroic Explorer
maybe devs should put a checkbox to enable intermissions complete with dancing pop corn and walking hot dogs such as in old drive in theatre days.. 🙂

danknugz
Superstar
it varies, but i usually need a break from the combination of pressure of the hmd against my face and eyestrain, after 40-50 minutes

usually taking a 5 or 10 minutes is good enough
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?

SadGamerDad
Heroic Explorer

danknugz said:

it varies, but i usually need a break from the combination of pressure of the hmd against my face and eyestrain, after 40-50 minutes

usually taking a 5 or 10 minutes is good enough

Right on, Those are my beer intermissions, especially when playing horror games , ha ha

NoRestarts
Protege

Bwahahaha, @TwoHedWlf, that's too funny, love it 😄

Data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey shows that more than 2 out 3 adults in the US are considered to be overweight or obese. And I'm not disputing that exercise is good for you, and the rift can be a great workout. All I'm saying is that they need to SLOWLY introduce physical activity into games, or they risk alienating a lot of people. Just like if the difficulty in a game is too high, if the physical activity is too demanding, it will frustrate players, and they will stop playing. In a similar fashion to the way developers have started adding colorblind modes into games, maybe they could add a "low physical intensity" mode (need a better name for that), so that gamers who are not as physically fit can still play their game.