cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ozelon sketckbook

ozelon
Protege

Hi guys, I’m slowly learning medium. Had it for a week but
didn’t get a long enough stretch of time to complete anything. Here are my first
test sculpts. Upload unfortunately won’t work as I’m not in the US.

As a long term zbrush user I have to say that I’m blown away
by the possibilities VR and in specific medium opens up for sculpting.

Even this first version of medium has significant advantages
over Zbrush or mudbox.

Anyway, feedback and comments are very welcome.

Cheers.n2s1cayel9yn.pngbas5oy98jxsk.png0gcg8p3s7o1u.png

19 REPLIES 19

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant

ozelon said:

I mean all of these issues are minor if you consider that this is the first version of the software. Let's just hope that the Medium team has as much fun continuing development as we have using the software.

Totally this! Anyone complaining cos Medium hasn't got all the stuff Zbrush has would do well to remember that 20 years and a couple of million man hours ago neither did Zbrush. Also Medium didn't kill Sculptris so they'll always have that over Pixologic in my book.

ozelon
Protege
@P3nT4gR4m: Very true. I just hope that the Medium team adds essentials for professional artists before Zbrush goes VR. I fear that they won't be able to compete with Pixologic as the biggest digital sculpting player in the industry. 

Anyway after many memory and complexity related issues I finally managed to use the Medium camera to take a few shots without crashing. The upload fails every time and I'm asked to try again later I assume the file is just to big?
Here is what the for now final looks like straight out of Medium:
0cd27ouz7afa.pngbqev9wq78u95.png

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
That sculpt is ludicrous. I am in awe! What's the deal with clothing? I guess you have to study that, just like with anatomy? So much to learn here. Hope I'm alive long enough to pull it off.

ozelon
Protege
Ha, thanks!

Yes clothing is quite a learning curve. Different fabrics follow different rules.
These days a lot of CG productions simulate highres clothing in Marvelous Designer. You have to think like a tailor rather than a sculptor and it's no fun imo, slow and tedious. It's one way to learn about cloth behavior and structure though.

Oh and by the way I uploaded that scene to my gallery in case anyone wants to see it in Medium.
https://www.oculus.com/medium/artists/ozelon/

ozelon
Protege
After a week off on vacation I got back to sculpting. Here it is, feedback is very welcome.

One mistake I made which I realized after compositing is that all the glow is too bright moves too much into focus.
Also the orange glow and orange robot pieces are too close in color I guess...

xaq5no3ll5p5.jpg 

Some medium things I have to add to my wishlist
- when turning the sun all the way down the tools aren't lit... that is somewhat hard to work with.
- hiding everything but current layer would be amazing
- tool trigger curve is still really hard to work with when painting. I wish I could more easily paint with different opacity. 

ozelon
Protege
I rendered the last thing in Keyshot and put a little extra work in compositing.
The only thing that does't seem to work as well in Keyshot is the glow, had to do that in Photoshop.

9usmaejop6nb.jpg

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
Mate, that's proper sick! 

Scout1138
Expert Protege
That is fantastic!!
https://www.artstation.com/artist/scoutwindsor
https://www.instagram.com/scoutwindsor/
My PC build: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/nWnnTW

cybereality
Grand Champion
Must have missed this when it was posted. That's great.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Monstaah
Heroic Explorer
This is some seriously insane stuff!!!
PC Specs:

Black Box, with wires & some kind of electronicy stuff inside..
oooh it even has lights!! 😃