cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Risking my Rift

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
I've just dropped my Rift off at the UPS collection point, off for replacement.

However, I nearly didn't. Why have these transport services suddenly adopted the policy of not providing any evidence that a package has been collected or dropped off? I've noticed it with three different carriers this year - not one will give any kind of receipt, they all say - oh, it will come onto the system when it's scanned (either by the driver or at the depot).

This is just wrong. I've just left £500 worth of Rift at a shop that I have visited for the first time, with no proof whatsoever that I have done so. To say I feel uneasy about it would be a gross understatement. The worst thing is that the people you leave it with or pick it up behave all insulted when you enquire about a receipt or some form of acknowledgement of taking it from you.

They should be legally bound to do so - and they should feel obliged to give you something by way of a receipt, I know I would definitely have no qualms about doing so if someone was entrusting me with their valuable stuff.

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2
49 REPLIES 49

DarkTenka
Trustee

Brixmis said:

I've just dropped my Rift off at the UPS collection point, off for replacement.

However, I nearly didn't. Why have these transport services suddenly adopted the policy of not providing any evidence that a package has been collected or dropped off? I've noticed it with three different carriers this year - not one will give any kind of receipt, they all say - oh, it will come onto the system when it's scanned (either by the driver or at the depot).

This is just wrong. I've just left £500 worth of Rift at a shop that I have visited for the first time, with no proof whatsoever that I have done so. To say I feel uneasy about it would be a gross understatement. The worst thing is that the people you leave it with or pick it up behave all insulted when you enquire about a receipt or some form of acknowledgement of taking it from you.

They should be legally bound to do so - and they should feel obliged to give you something by way of a receipt, I know I would definitely have no qualms about doing so if someone was entrusting me with their valuable stuff.

Yea, I went through this with FedEx myself when I had to RMA. Totally understand where you're coming from ...

I had never posted anything of this size in my entire life up to that point and when the lady just put it into the back of her van and drove off without even labeling it in front of me, I started to worry that it was going to go unlabled to the drop off point and then what? What do they do with an unlabeled/mislabled package? There was no reciept, no name of the driver .. what if it was some kind of scam artist who just takes all of the packages and runs off with it! (yea, crazy thoughts happen when you start to get anxious).

Gladly that wasn't the case, whatever they do to properly label the package was done later behind closed doors, but that was a shitload of anxiety that we shouldn't have to experience especially when posting something so expensive. They really should have better protocol with pickups than they do, that peace of mind will go a long way.

stackers
Explorer
UPS didn't provide evidence for my RMA either, however you can track the progress of the return and replacement delivery using the tracking info.

What I found bizarre about UPS is when you sign-up for an account they send you a PIN by snail mail.....which is great if you still live in the 90's!

DarkTenka
Trustee

stackers said:

UPS didn't provide evidence for my RMA either, however you can track the progress of the return and replacement delivery using the tracking info.

Yea, I got the tracking info and everything but it takes them about a day to update the Tracker for when it even says it was picked up. Something that makes it even more stressful because you think .. "it was just picked up now, why isnt it updated now".

Don't get me wrong, everything goes smoothly .. it's just that the customer isn't informed enough that things are going smoothly. It's really stressful when this really expensive item has to go away and if it somehow went "poof" in the process you would have nothing to show for it.

They just need to be better at informing the customer about the process and give some kind of proof/receipt so that the customer will have some kind of power to protect themselves in the unlikely event that something really did go wrong.

blanes
Rising Star
I know how you feel, my Rift was replaced couple of weeks back,  the process was smooth and the FedEx picked up from my home earlier than expected which was good for me.  But I had the same strange response when he picked it up and I asked for some form of receipt, he looked at me with a grimace like I was asking something really strange and told me not to worry it would be on the system in couple of minutes.  It actually took over an hour and I started to wonder what if it never got scanned in, I had no proof I had actually sent it.  There definitely needs to be a standard receipt given to you when you hand over such an expensive piece of kit, for protection of sender & receiver. After all they require you to sign for it upon delivery so it should work both ways.

falken76
Expert Consultant
All you need is the tracking number.  They issue what are called RS tags.  Return service tags.  Those can only be obtained by the shipper setting up the pick up.  The first 6 digits on the tracking number following the "1z" on UPS tracking is the UPS account number that belongs to oculus.  I'm sure the other couriers are similar.  If no tracking ever appears, so long as you wrote down the tracking number, you have the number that proves that Oculus created the tracking number that informed UPS/FedEx to come pick up from your house in the first place.  Nobody but Oculus could issue that tracking number, nobody.

The tracking number IS your receipt.

BrockKane
Expert Protege
You can ask for a receipt also, I do believe.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee

falken76 said:

All you need is the tracking number.  They issue what are called RS tags.  Return service tags.  Those can only be obtained by the shipper setting up the pick up.  The first 6 digits on the tracking number following the "1z" on UPS tracking is the UPS account number that belongs to oculus.  I'm sure the other couriers are similar.  If no tracking ever appears, so long as you wrote down the tracking number, you have the number that proves that Oculus created the tracking number that informed UPS/FedEx to come pick up from your house in the first place.  Nobody but Oculus could issue that tracking number, nobody.

The tracking number IS your receipt.

As I said, I was required to drop it off at a local shop (an "Access Point") and they don't give out receipts - same as the UPS driver who collected from me once didn't, but I know him well enough by now to trust him a little.

Point being, if it had gone AWOL from the shop ( or thereafter if it hadn't been scanned), I would have zero proof that I had dropped it off.
Legally, I wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

As it is, the tracking info has just come up - and is a perfect example of why I'm sceptical. It says I dropped it off at 12:35 and it is still at the AP. The items are collected at 11:00am each day - which is why I made sure I dropped it off there in plenty of time - at 08:45 to be precise.

So it wasn't picked up at 11:00 and now will not go until Tuesday, due to the holidays. So no, it hasn't gone missing - but I can't say I am happy with how things have gone thus far. Good job I have accepted the Rift being away for around 3 weeks (should be about 2, but I added on a week for the usual hold-ups). I could have had another few days use of it before sending it, though 😕

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

elboffor
Consultant
When i rma'd my touch controllers, i dropped it iff and they colied the details and made sure i had a drop off receipt.

If in doubt tho, take a picture of the box before hand. And a picture of the box with the person you are dropping it iff with. Might not be instantly legally binding but its better than nothing.
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

reddeath360
Expert Protege
usps always gives you something and is the only shipping I use