Your Magic VR Moment

cybereality
Grand Champion

If you’ve had that “wow”
moment in VR, we want to hear from you! We’d like to collect the best Oculus
stories from around the world. Help us capture exactly what makes VR so
special, by telling us about the key event that first made you a believer in
VR. Your insights will help us as we think through the next phase of where to
take Oculus products. What was your magic VR moment?

AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
113 REPLIES 113

HomerNarr
Explorer
Uhm, i saw Elite Dangerous as Kickstarter, did NOT Kickstart it. After ED was out a while, i got it. Then i needed at HOTAS., Got one. Then i saw someone playing ED with a Rift. Wanted that, finally got it.
So my KillerApp for the Rift is Elite Dangerous.
Got Touch on impulse, saw BulletTrain. I liked it. When they mentioned RoboRecall, i knew i had to buy it. Only to get it for free since i already hat the touch controllers. Awesome.
EagleFlight. Different Approuch, play as an Eagle. Controlls are interesting too!
RecRoom, since its Multiplayer for the whole family! Yes, lots of kids playing it, cause its very kid-friendly.
Oculus InMedium, playing with Dough.
VorpX, cause it lets me play GTA5(!!) and RocketLeague in VR!
Wirligig Mediaplayer to watch 3D Movies.
Final Approach control Airtraffic, standing in the game area.
Luckys Tale, because its a cute Platformer.

On certain situations, Vertigo kicks me hard! Serious Sams start on the Saratoga, RipCoil and RoboRecall, if i jump close to a ledge.

matskatsaba
Adventurer
My first WHOA moment was when trying quake2 on the devkit. Miku entertainment stage sphere was the second. It was hawken that sold me the rift, still pretty sad that kinda failed. Other than hawken, GTA5 was a great expectation - too bad it doesn't usually work with my g27. The only title I actually play nowadays is project cars, couldn't really care less about the touch titles.
I'm in VR for giant mecha sims and waifus, driving is just an extra addon since i love driving in the first place.

BadDanME
Expert Protege
Elite Dangerous is fantastic. Together with the VoiceAttack tool it´s brilliant. 

But the greatest moment so far I had with EVE Valkyrie in that singleplayermission, where you are inside an enemy fleet with the stolen transpondercodes and approaching that enemy base. It was such an overwhelming feeling to fly between those giant ships and through those small gaps outside the station. 

Edge of nowhere is fantastic too, and shows the potential for the mainstream market in VR.

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
I was very impressed with Raw Data when that first released. I felt proper immersion and right in the game world with those robots.

I think many will agree, the ending of Call of the Starseed Episode 1 is just epic before your eyes. 

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Anonymous
Not applicable

HomerNarr said:

Uhm, i saw Elite Dangerous as Kickstarter, did NOT Kickstart it. After ED was out a while, i got it. Then i needed at HOTAS., Got one. Then i saw someone playing ED with a Rift. Wanted that, finally got it.
So my KillerApp for the Rift is Elite Dangerous.
Got Touch on impulse, saw BulletTrain. I liked it. When they mentioned RoboRecall, i knew i had to buy it. Only to get it for free since i already hat the touch controllers. Awesome.
EagleFlight. Different Approuch, play as an Eagle. Controlls are interesting too!
RecRoom, since its Multiplayer for the whole family! Yes, lots of kids playing it, cause its very kid-friendly.
Oculus InMedium, playing with Dough.
VorpX, cause it lets me play GTA5(!!) and RocketLeague in VR!
Wirligig Mediaplayer to watch 3D Movies.
Final Approach control Airtraffic, standing in the game area.
Luckys Tale, because its a cute Platformer.

On certain situations, Vertigo kicks me hard! Serious Sams start on the Saratoga, RipCoil and RoboRecall, if i jump close to a ledge.

Can you tell me more about how GTA5 looks in VR? I mean,if it works....its what I have always dreamed of...to walk around in an open world and man GTA5 looks amazing...so I do have some questions.does GTA5 in VR using this vorpx dumb down the graphics somehow as technically GTA5 wasn't created initially as VR?  and...is there that much tweaking in menu settings to get it to look and play good? I saw some online article that was talking about decreased  field of view because of how the vorpx works to modify the game to view in 3d. geez, if it looks good qute frankly I don't think I would be as excited to get any newer VR games...I would just want to port the games that I love already into VR....such as "Dying light"...oh man that must be terrifying in VR if its avaliable!

TickTock
Heroic Explorer
My "Wow" moment was simply that first moment when I was still a VR virgin.  I just got my DK2 and the first app I tried was some simple swim with fishes demo.  Very basic, but that first moment is what hooked me.  I though "Wow,  NOW I understand the name"  It really is like opening a rift into another universe and peering in.  The games and demos continued to get better and better but that first moment was the most profound.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
 -Groucho Marx

Imeleon
Expert Protege
Delta Draconis back on dk1. And Titans of space obviously. 
And the 3D model scan of the girl. Actually felt like I was standing next to a person. 
Felt like I was invading her space. Not enough to stop though

danknugz
Superstar
In general, situations which mimick real life and not fantasy tend to grasp me more and make it easier to suspend disbelief, such as onward and how it uses no HUD or any kind of hovering names over enemies, VR golf (as a concept) is another good one for me because it is also laid back. Racing games were the first to really give me a true sense of presence,

in particular when i first experienced the low persistence of DK2 while sitting in a car in LFS, I could not believe what my eyes were seeing, because i always had an issue with how much graphics blurred when rotating the camera in flat games, and with low persistence, its practically like a painting, amazing

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?

kzintzi
Trustee
Elite Dangerous the first time I came in on a small industrial station and had to remind myself that I wasn't going to fall out of the cockpit.
Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Dead & Buried gave me some truly crazy moments of presence in a way no other game has. The need to physically move & use all your space in that game just ups the presence factor somehow. So much leaning around cover, on walls, trying to lean on tables etc. It's still one of my favourites.
Farlands was the best for this when Rift first released, because the texture details are so amazing in that game and because again it encourages physical movement and interaction with your environment (walking up to creatures /bending  down to say hello to them /doing the movement mini - games). And the mini map mode gave me an amazing feeling the first few times I tried it. I would absolutely love it if Oculus made an expansion or full version of the game for Touch. It was so cool to find out that there was an actual story that happened as you progressed! 

Onward has been the single most mind-blowing experience though. Again needs physical movement to use cover but also the level of realism with the weapons and so on means that the immersion is just crazy. It's a really exhilarating experience. If you guys can support that dev please do. There's a reason it's the most popular multiplayer in VR (alongside Rec Room I think).

Special mention: the tricks in Chronos with the (SPOILERSPOILERSPOILER) monsters that only move when you're not looking at them, and the bit where your character goes miniature. That game is still one of my best vr experiences. Also Vanishing Realms' sword fighting which is the best of the right now, though still feels only 'almost there' due to somewhat simplistic AI.