Your Magic VR Moment

cybereality
Grand Champion

If you’ve had that “wow”
moment in VR, we want to hear from you! We’d like to collect the best Oculus
stories from around the world. Help us capture exactly what makes VR so
special, by telling us about the key event that first made you a believer in
VR. Your insights will help us as we think through the next phase of where to
take Oculus products. What was your magic VR moment?

AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
113 REPLIES 113

ntwigbels
Expert Protege
I have had so many WOW moments that I could make a top 100, but a number one magical moment I had in Obduction I guess.

The first time I came to the edge of the apparantly transparent Sphere, where through you could see the purple Alien world. The fluid dome made a sound and ripples when touched, that experience was so mind blowing and really made me feel I was in another world!

ParadiseDecay
Rising Star
The first game I tried after the initial Oculus set-up demo was 'Eve Valkyrie' and I remember sitting in the cockpit, looking around and thinking to myself "Wow, I now have my own arcade machine"

Recently I look at the Oculus as having my own Star Trek Holo-deck!
☆ YouTube 'Content Creator' and 'Steam Curator' ( https://www.youtube.com/user/ParadiseDecay ) ☆ Devs! I'm always on the look out for new and interesting VR experiences! ☆ Oculus Rift CV1 ☆ Windows 10, 64 bit ☆ Intel Core i7-3770 ☆ 16.0GB Ram ☆ GeForce GTX 1060

Domitjen
Adventurer

If you’ve had that “wow”

https://youtu.be/RWNBVyNhhvs

in 6:13 I say what the lifechanging moment was for me, how VR changed the entire social aspect of things.

LordQuake
Adventurer
So lots of WoW moments then. I think what the OP was intending is that moment where, only for a second, you are completely convinced that the VR world is real. I've tried most things on Oculus Home, had lots of "this really is great" in awe moments but only ONE title has transcended reality for me ... And if you look through these forums you'll see for many who play it, its Onward. The game stands apart to anything else - maybe its the atmospherics that are cleverley done, maybe its the tension and focus as you move through the map, cover to cover or the realistic weapons and pack management. But whatever it is, that title is the ONLY title to completely absorb me into VR, Matrix style. You are simply uploaded, consumed by a new world and the "elsewhere" ceases to exist. It's the only title where upon taking the headset off I have no idea where I am, it takes a few seconds to re-acquire the real world. In all other games there is always a residual sense of reality, I know where I am in 3d space of the room, but not Onward. Probably one of the reasons why it is the top selling multiplayer VR title. I urge anyone that has not got it yet to pick it up, you'll be glad you did.

bigmike20vt
Visionary

If you’ve had that “wow”

i have been a believer in VR since virtuality in the early 90s

but for this generation... my 1st "jaw on the flloor" moment was when undocking from a space station in elite when using my DK2 and flying out, seeing an earthlike world on my left, and looking behind me and seeing the massive size of the station.

what i want in VR are games (other media is great and all but for me, my meat and potatoes of VR are games) but i want games that i can play at my own pace, with stuff to "explore". 

elite is great as i get to explore space. 

something underwater would be just as good as well.... (subnautica is excellent)
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

I've got 3 - a couple of them i've mentioned several times on here.  First was with the DK1 and a small helicopter demo where you fly near an island and there's a ship nearby - i lost control and was heading to towards the ship - i was honestly terrified that i was about to cream in and die a horrible death.

Second was with the Gear VR and my first time in Netflix.  I sat on the settee at home as i always do, Gear VR on, looked down (in VR) and there was the remote, reached for it and realised "what the hell", of course it isn't there, but that's exactly how it would have looked in real life.

Final one, the Rift in Oculus Dreamdeck the first time - that was a wow moment, oh my god - i was just so happy with the clarity and i think i remember seeing particles floating around?  "God damn you Oculus, you've done it!"
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

LZoltowski
Champion
It might sound a bit naff but my first VR wow moment was playing Radial G. http://radial-g.com/

It is a super simple 3d Racing Game, but the feeling of speed is superb. You feel like you are in the pod racing at ridiculous speeds on a 360 degree track. 

My heart started pounding and my eyes opened up wider than ever before. I spent 3 hours in that game the first time. 

When I took the headset off, I thought to myself while smiling, "Wow, I lived long enough to experience this at home on my chair, by my desk."

The feeling of scale transported me instantly into that world, and I did not want to leave.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

jumbli
Heroic Explorer
My first "wow" moment was actually the Oculus Kickstarter. I was an instant convert, just based on the potential of the technology, and joined in as early as I could afford. I bought in at the DK2 stage, and changed my career to learn how to develop games full time. 

My next "wow" moment came after getting my DK2 and setting up the camera to allow me to take a couple of steps across the Oculus Tuscany balcony and look over the edge. The sense of presence was multiplied so much that I knew I had to develop standing experiences that made people physically move.

As great as the current experiences and games are, I long for interactive movie-like experiences where you feel like you're engaging with real characters and joining them on epic adventures. I want to be inside a Matrix film, created in-engine rather than 360 degree video. I'm looking forward to new genres rather than VR games inspired by traditional computer games. I think great things will come as we gradually move away from novelty experiences. I could bore you for hours on the topic so I'll stop now 🙂
Developer of Dimensional, The Relentless, Breath Tech, Jigsaw 360 View my dev blog at JumbliVR.com

god_alom
Adventurer
To be fair I read about everything that involves vr, so that I don't have any expectations. But seeing the space outside of the desktop in virtual desktop on dk2 was spectacular.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think like everyone else i've had multiple 'wow' moments in VR.

My first exposure to VR was the kickstarter back when i was still a poor student so couldnt afford to back it but ended up working for a company that did. I tried the DK1 and it blew my mind, cant even remember what i tried first but i remember thinking 'this is the future'.

Then came along the DK2 with positional tracking and that was a game changer, i will always remember leaning towards the desk in the calibration scene. I used to borrow the DK2 a lot for 'research' purposes over the weekend 😛 

Then i finally got my own hardware with the CV1 and going through Dreamdeck i was in shock at how much it improved over the DK2 and how amazing the sense of scale was! It finally felt consumer ready. Farlands was the first game i felt truely immersed and got lost in there forgetting which way i was facing when taking off the HMD.
Then Chronos showed me how powerful story telling is in VR.

My first experience with hand controllers were with the Vive wands when i tried the 'vive pre' and it was so much fun but i didnt get on well with the controllers, the button layout didnt feel natural to me.

When touch arrived everything just 'clicked' and felt like this is the way VR is meant to be but i was left feeling the need for more space I didnt have 😛

Medium for me is one of the main reasons i got Touch and i can easily say Rift+Touch is wourth every penny for me with Medium. It revived my love for 3D modelling and took away all the frustrations and massive amount of time investment i started to hate about 3D. It finally makes 3D feel natural, creative and fun again.

Im still constantly having 'wow' moments in VR with games like Superhot, Roborecall etc. We are living in a really interesting time 🙂

I'm really looking forward to Wilsons Heart as ive wanted a story driven Touch game for awhile now 🙂