cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Earth VR finally available on the Oculus store

Ernimus_Prime
Heroic Explorer
It took a while but we finally got Google VR free on the Oculus Store.  Yippee 
ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI), Ryzen 7 3700x, 16 gigs ram DDR-4 3600 MHZ. SSD XPG 8200 pro 1 TB. WD Black 4 TB. Windows 10 PRO 64-bit. MSI VENTUS 3 RTX 3080 OC, Primary: MSI MAG274QRF-QD 2nd monitor: Acer Predator XG270HU 1440p@144 hz, Phanteks Enthoo Pro case. Corsair rm750x PSU. Rift S.
45 REPLIES 45

Alec_Turner
Protege
It's absolutely brilliant! As I'd hoped and prayed the controls are SO much better than with the FakeVive interface to the SteamVR/Vive version.
Two pretty minor niggles:
1) no compass (although I have spotted that the head on the little blue "current location" pin in the globe that's attached to your left controller points in the direction you're facing and thus can be used to orient yourself)
2) unlike with the Vive version, it doesn't seem possible to rotate the globe on the left controller - given how easy this ought to be to implement (e.g. via a left/right push on one of the thumbsticks) I wonder if this omission is a simple oversight - anyone here from Oculus/Google able to comment?
<<<<< Elite: Dangerous >>>>>

Master | Entrepreneur | Pioneer | Buckyballer | Fuel Rat

cybernettr
Superstar
I wish it gave you the option of which controller you want to use. I know Touch is "hot" right now, but I think it's overkill for this particular app.  Not only do you see the controllers in your view all the time, but you can get spun around sometimes so you're not facing the sensors and then the controllers don't want to work. I don't think the Xbox controller would have this problem. 

bobd14
Protege
Thought about buying Touch, but realized it's not for me at this point.  I love poking around google earth, but NOT going to spend $100 just to see GE in VR.  I wish the app could run without Touch!  This clearly is a ploy to buy Touch! :#

bobd14 said:

Thought about buying Touch, but realized it's for me at this point.  I love poking around google earth, but NOT going to spend $100 just to see GE in VR.  I wish the app could run without Touch!  This clearly is a ploy to buy Touch! :#

So many more reasons to buy Touch.  There are so many great apps (non-gaming) out there buddy, and Touch works so well with them.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Ernimus_Prime
Heroic Explorer
Suit yourself.  The touch expands so much the VR experience 
ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI), Ryzen 7 3700x, 16 gigs ram DDR-4 3600 MHZ. SSD XPG 8200 pro 1 TB. WD Black 4 TB. Windows 10 PRO 64-bit. MSI VENTUS 3 RTX 3080 OC, Primary: MSI MAG274QRF-QD 2nd monitor: Acer Predator XG270HU 1440p@144 hz, Phanteks Enthoo Pro case. Corsair rm750x PSU. Rift S.

DTH
Heroic Explorer
I had to buy a new computer Just for Rift and Touch.  I'm a non-gamer but Rift + Touch are a lot better than my Gear VR. 

GenetixStudio
Superstar

This is awesome!!! I was justanding on the 50 yard line at Lambeau Field!!!

I have to do that myself, great idea - Go Pack!

Bilbosmeggins
Heroic Explorer
Think I need to download this myself, if only to stand at Amen Corner 🙂

kojack
MVP
MVP

bobd14 said:

Thought about buying Touch, but realized it's not for me at this point.  I love poking around google earth, but NOT going to spend $100 just to see GE in VR.  I wish the app could run without Touch!  This clearly is a ploy to buy Touch! :#

The desktop Google Earth has moved to Chrome and dropped support for any controllers besides keyboard/mouse. So I now have $400+ worth of 3D Connexion camera controllers that can't work with Earth anymore. So their controller support in general is limited (both VR and non VR versions).
(Luckily I use them with other software, but my favourite use was Google Earth)

I wish the VR version of Earth supported strafing.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Yoong3d
Honored Guest
Anyone knows if it is possible to use human scale even flying, or just standing on the ground?