cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

non-Clarity

HARE333
Honored Guest
So I purchased the CV1, without demo'ing it.

SDE
I fly Aces High 3, only game I play. RIFT was gonna bring new dimension to the game, which is does in spades. I mean WOW! However the SDE is killing me. I was quite surprised, this is a no brainer, why would anyone settle for such a poor display quality in an HMD.
 Now I understand the whys, I understand the limitations, I understand even why someone might convince themselves for the trade offs that were made. Been reading a lot, too much maybe.

But I cannot see into the distance in the flight game. The pixelation is exponential with distance.
You must look directly at something, up close, for any kind of clarity.
The overall FOV is fine, but the focusable area is so small that over 50% is out of focus, add the SDE  and your eyes cannot focus on much, they want to focus on something and get tired trying to and failing.
Then add in the refresh rate, 90Hz flicker OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!
Now again, a flight game, even fields, light sky colors, it all blends to a piece of screening ocsillating rapidly......

Now I have read many things about mods and yada, I have even done my first. I made a faceplate extender cushion tonight. 
1- it will add some better comfort I hope
2- It will push the entire HMD out from my face, equidistantly, about 1/4 or 3/8". My manually pulling it out seemed to help moi.

The other thing that comes to mind is this.
Add a layer of rear projection screen material, 1 cm on top of OLED display or whatever distance your testing deems best. This material is designed to pass the light, it would provide a slight polarizing effect, theres multiple kinds. This way the fresnel lens would not see the pixel boundries, the brilliance could be increased without as much god ray issues. It can be worked into the eyecups where the displays attach, just a spacer and.......................

OCCULUS, this is a simple cheap fix, why a silly client has to point it out is just dumb. You are at the forefront of a revolution and stumbling over a very basic, untill the display tech gets to a point that sde do not matter, cheat damit!
PS: I was thinking this way and then found all the mods for this, so I am not really crazy. But the right projection material is the way to go.

Hi quality rear projection materials, plastics is waiting.............
 >:) 
30 REPLIES 30

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@HARE333 - I've played PVP games since 1999 and believe me the resolution was pretty bad on a 2D monitor back then. That didn't stop people playing these games and enjoying them though. The Rift isn't capable of running 4K screens yet. What hardware do you reckon it would take to run two 4k screens right now? The Geforce 1080ti has just come out and only manages to run one 4k screen, so I don't know how you think the Rift could manage to run two 4k screens. 

Personally, I'm not seeing what you're seeing though. I know in flight-sims it does look blurry in the distance, but I don't see this screen door you're talking about. I saw it in the DK2, but I don't see it in the CV1. I play games like Onward in the Rift which is a PVP and I don't have a problem.

Anonymous
Not applicable
You can see the SDE but it really isn't that bad and after a while you fail to notice it unless you look for it.

And with regards to 4K screens, it's not just 2 x 4K screens but 2 x 4K screens at at least 90fps too. Even with foveated rendering that's going to be impossible for a 1080Ti.

For the CV2 we'll end up seeing a slight increase in resolution (maybe 2K), an increase in FOV, foveated rendering and an increase to the recommended spec to a 980Ti or 1070. And we won't see that until late 2018 or early 2019.

For 4K screens you'll be looking at the CV3 around late 2021 or early 2022 imo.

Paddy234
Protege

snowdog said:

You can see the SDE but it really isn't that bad and after a while you fail to notice it unless you look for it.

And with regards to 4K screens, it's not just 2 x 4K screens but 2 x 4K screens at at least 90fps too. Even with foveated rendering that's going to be impossible for a 1080Ti.

For the CV2 we'll end up seeing a slight increase in resolution (maybe 2K), an increase in FOV, foveated rendering and an increase to the recommended spec to a 980Ti or 1070. And we won't see that until late 2018 or early 2019.

For 4K screens you'll be looking at the CV3 around late 2021 or early 2022 imo.

Not necessarily, games in VR don't have near the same graphics as non VR PC games so they won't have to process much graphically and we must not forget that one of the reasons such expensive pc hardware is needed at times is because the games aren't optimized as well as they could be. Toning down the graphics a bit and optimizing it to the max means that a 1080 could play many games at 90fps at 4k. 2021 is 4 years away and 4k headets will be well out before then.  CV2 will most certainly include 4k otherwise it wouldn't be worth buying in my opinion 

elboffor
Consultant
What i don't understand is why they never used 4k displays but outputted lower than that. Therefore the sde would have been massively reduced and still only used the same horsepower to run.
But i supppse using better uardware would have cut into the profits too much.

The sde almost ruins racing games for me, as for the godrays, what pisses me off most about them is we cant have true blacks because of the dithering now used to reduce them 😞
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I have to admit I never ever want to see Godrays again after CV1. If there's a hint of a Godrays in CV2 or any other device before it then I won't be buying it. Godrays are worse then any SDE to me, I nearly stuck with the DK2 until I realised touch controllers wouldn't work with it. I hate the light shine making you think you have a smudge your lenses or that they've fogged up. 

kojack
MVP
MVP

elboffor said:

What i don't understand is why they never used 4k displays but outputted lower than that.

Were there 4k oled low persistence 90Hz panels in sub mobile phone form factor available for mass production back when the CV1 was being designed?

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

HARE333
Honored Guest

I am surprised that my Gigabyte GTX1070G1 with a 4.5GHz cpu behind it can barely drive the CV1. I cannot SS past 1.3 without losing to much performance headroom. Dropped frames in a combat arena means dead.

Godrays can be dealt with by adjusting the ports brilliance and hue in Nvidia panel. I run brilliance at 59%.

The thing is that a mixing medium will fix this. get a quality material that will not distort and give the photons something to reflect off of. The medium will block us from direct view of the oled substrate, it will also stop the reflection of the Fresnel lens bouncing reflected oled light off the oled surface and back into the lens as focused relected concentric circles. It will create a pixelless image foundation that the lens then, focus's on.

Yes its another part, yes it will cut light but its what we have now that will work. Increase the display intensity. Add a blublock if necessary and done. You work with what you got, not try and force something that fails at its base core.

I 'll believe an interface can be provided that will work with current arrangement, inserting it between oled and lens tube. An HD mixing medium would help and its not a difficult fix.

The PSVR HMD has an entirely different LED construction substrate, supposedly no SDE. Read a lot of stuff yesterday. I wonder why Oculus made the choice they made?

kzintzi
Trustee

Paddy234 said:

Not necessarily, games in VR don't have near the same graphics as non VR PC games so they won't have to process much graphically and we must not forget that one of the reasons such expensive pc hardware is needed at times is because the games aren't optimized as well as they could be. Toning down the graphics a bit and optimizing it to the max means that a 1080 could play many games at 90fps at 4k. 2021 is 4 years away and 4k headets will be well out before then.  CV2 will most certainly include 4k otherwise it wouldn't be worth buying in my opinion 

I agree with you that a 1080 could play games at 4k at 90fps if it was optimised up the wazoo, but it'd be 8k @ 90fps (2 screens not one)

that's a little hard to do with the current hardware - hell the 970's were right on the edge of being able to support the CV1/Vive as it was.

Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee
It wouldn't be 8k, it's 2X4k  8k would be about equivalent to 4X4k.

Also, I'm not sure HDMI can handle the data rate required for 2X4K@90hz?

kzintzi
Trustee
correct - my bad; maths fail :smile:

still, much too much for existing hardware.

personally I'd be happy with the existing quality in a smaller form factor. not that I don't like it now -  I'm just greedy
Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.