cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VR treadmill experiences

zboson
Superstar
I would like to hear about peoples experience with omni directional treadmills for VR.

The two "low" cost solutions I am aware of are the
The Wizdish looks less appealing to me because it looks like you just shuffle your feet back and forth but you don't lift you feet off the ground. Is this correct? With the Virtuix it appears (from videos) you lift your feet when you walk.  Is this correct? What about jumping?  How natural does the movement with Virtuix feel? Do you feel like you are freely walking or do you have to get used to some restrictions to use the Virtuix? Would a harness attached to a ceiling help with the Virtuix?

What about other more expensive solutions or other low cost solutions I am not aware of?  What is available now to purchase and/or what will be available soon? There are a lot of youtube videos about other options but it's not clear to me what is available to purchase and what is only a prototype.

Please share any experiences you have with VR treadmills.
22 REPLIES 22

zboson
Superstar
Here are some videos I found interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYsvB2y2Ero

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBEfOcNTaVA

and especially this one!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PSFCnrk0GI

I want a virtusphere!

MariusPolonius
Heroic Explorer
Virtu sphere = CONGRATULATIONS YOU'VE JUST BECOME HUMAN HAMSTER!

HiThere_
Superstar
Here's my Nintendo Wii Fit experience : I'm not fit.

It might not qualify as a VR treadmill experience, but it's certainly relevant.

As for a VR experience, there was what I would call a VVRTS (Virtual VR Treadmill Simulator), where instead of tracking your foot movement in a VR treadmill, the software would simply track the CV1's vertical head bobbing as if running on the spot in 360° mode, which worked surprisingly well, and kind of makes you wonder why you would want to track your feet with a cumbersome and expensive VR Treadmill, instead of just tracking your head bobbing...

And here's the resulting experience : I'm not fit.

At which point my conclusion is that a VR Treadmill experience comes down to how many hours you usually run per day.

As a side note : Head bobbing seemed both extremely immersive and totally VR motion sick free to me, and worked really great for covering a (very) short distance. I wish every teleportation mechanic based game had head bobbing added to it, so you could travel long distances with teleporting, and take a step forward with head bobbing.

Sax-a-boom
Rising Star
I've heard there are many VR experiences that involve a lot of head bobbing!

zboson
Superstar
My interest in a treadmill is not primarily about getting in shape. It's about being able to walk/run/jump in place.

So this could be used for
  1. exploration gaming
  2. aerobic training - because VR could make it more entertaining
  3. rehabilitation e.g. for an amputee with a prosthetic leg that want to improve his/her gait.
I would plan on adding additional sensors to measure e.g. stress levels for example from heart rate and respiration.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The Wizdish looks less appealing to me because it looks like you just shuffle your feet back and forth but you don't lift you feet off the ground. Is this correct? 

Yes, I've tried the first Wizdish (quite a few times) and the best way to describe it is like skiing. You also have to wear shoes with some frictionless pads on the bottom that they provide. It is pretty fun and seems like a arcade kinda thing but i'd much rather be grounded and teleporting around since you really need to hold onto the side bars so you don't fall over, which means no hand controllers.

You can't walk/run on this but you can jump if you hold on the sides. The dish is really slippery though so I wouldn't call it safe 😛

zboson
Superstar
Here is another treadmill solution. I think it's limited to walking and no strafing but does allow turning.

https://www.roadtovr.com/strider-vr-intriguing-new-omnidirectional-treadmill-solution/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK41x5kenO4

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
This technology looks great, I would like to try all these one day, they should demo them all in Game or somewhere. 

The thing is though, as cool as they're if they cost a lot of money I don't think I'd get one unless there was a killer FPS type game to play with it. So for example, if in the future you could play battlefield type games in VR using one of these treadmills and it all worked perfectly together then I'd probably consider it. But it still seems like that's a long way off.
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

kernow
Heroic Explorer
I'd much prefer a dumb version (no electronic controls) of the Virtuix Omni and use a motion tracker (such as Perception Neuron) for control instead, or just use the hand controller to move if I'm feeling too lazy to suit up in a motion tracker.