cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arguing on the internet

Zoomie
Expert Trustee
Scott Adams (the guy who writes and draws Dilbert) has a blog.  
In that blog he has written all sorts of things that are controversial.  Hell, he predicted Trump's election months and months (a year?) before it happened.  He's also a  published writer and trained hypnotist, among other things.  

His latest post was pretty interesting because it echoes one of my long-held axioms of forum arguments - ad hominem is the last resort of someone who is fresh out of logical responses.  Here it is for those of you who might enjoy reading it.

Scott Adams lists three other ways to tell you've "won" a political argument, but I think these apply equally to the discussions we have here on the board.  I know I've been guilty of a few of these over the years, so I'm going to try to avoid them if possible.
I guess this is fair warning that I'm going to judge others based on a few of his criteria as well.  If you commit any of these four internet argument sins, I'm going to smile and move on to another subject.

I know this may fall on deaf ears so I've prepared a quote from Arnold in his breakout role: 
"And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!"
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C Clarke
115 REPLIES 115

Wildt
Consultant
When reading the thread title I was sure I was gonna see the ole politically incorrect meme.

Color me surprised :smile:

PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

Calmfixup
Heroic Explorer
HE'S WRONG ABOUT ALL THOSE AND HERE'S WHY 

Firstly, he's saying all the arguments on the internet fall into one of those categories.

B, it's like trying to open a bottle of jelly with a pair of dirty underwear, no matter how it turns out, everything will be sweet and disgusting.

3rd, he's a peace of shit and Dilebert sucks.

And fifth, he's obviously mentally unstable. He's a self-aggrandizing sociopath who thinks that the world is his oyster because he's had some success in a dying industry.

Gimme a break!

Techy111
MVP
MVP
You missed D  😘
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Zoomie
Expert Trustee
I see what you did there.  One like for you, sir.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C Clarke

Calmfixup
Heroic Explorer

Techy111 said:

You missed D  😘

I never miss the D

LZoltowski
Champion
I gave up political debate online, some people are just unable to see a different perspective than their own.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Wildt
Consultant
Is this the thread where we can all just argue like toddlers with an extended vocabulary without acutally going off topic or being inappropriate?
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Wildt said:

Is this the thread where we can all just argue like toddlers with an extended vocabulary without acutally going off topic or being inappropriate?

Yes.

Thanks to Zoomie... there is no bottom to worse.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Isn't there a worserer? That's a Tenacious D then ?  😉
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Techy111 said:

That's a Tenacious D then ?  😉

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjEewVQaJ9Y