cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Now the Oculus Rift won't even download the software

SaintBoom
Honored Guest
at first my Oculus Rift said it couldn't find the runtime service so i tried to repair it using the reinstall from the oculus webpage.  When i did that it took away my oculus icon all together and now I'm simply trying to just install the software again and it says "it encountered an error and to restart my computer (which i've done several times) and if the problem persists to contact support."  I even turned off all of my firewall and security and tried to download it and it is saying the same thing.  should i completely uninstall everything and try that?  if so how?  i've looked everywhere for an uninstall.exe and can't find it.
8 REPLIES 8

cybereality
Grand Champion
You should be able to uninstall from the Windows menu. Click the Windows button and type "Uninstall a Program" and then sort by name and scroll down to Oculus. After uninstalling, manually delete these folders:

C:\Users\your_name\AppData\Roaming\Oculus
C:\Users\your_name\AppData\Local\Temp\Oculus

Then restart your computer and try to install again.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

SaintBoom
Honored Guest
couldn't find oculus even in my programs.  deleted the other folders though and restarted my computer and still it won't download the software.  am i going to have to delete everything oculus and try?

cybereality
Grand Champion
Sorry about that. Please submit a support ticket. Thanks.
https://support.oculus.com
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

SaintBoom
Honored Guest
been working with support.  we've gone all the way to checking firewalls, making sure i'm not on a proxy server, and even rebooting in safe mode and manually deleting all the oculus files (after backing up my software for games) and trying to reinstall and still nothing.  I'm thinking it has more to do with my windows than it does the software because my rift was working great until one day it just wasn't.  it said it couldn't find the oculus runtime service and when i went to repair it, it took away my oculus icon to even turn it on.  so then i started to reinstall and now i get the same error everytime.  Am i the only one having this issue?

YoLolo69
Trustee
You don't talk about AntiVirus on your posts, do you have one and if yes can you try to turn it off? They are not tons of programs which have rights to remove other programs (runtime) or icons on the fly...

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 10700K,  RTX 3070, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, Oculus Rift CV1

cybereality
Grand Champion
Some anti-virus must be uninstalled. Even disabling can sometimes not resolve the issue.

jeremypetreman
Honored Guest
Old thread here, but I though that I would share my solution.  I had this same problem in Windows 10, trying to install Lone Echo after I purchased it. Clicking install would do nothing.

In the end, what it was was that my Windows System clock was wrong.  I turned off the feature which sets my clock automatically, then turned it on again (forcing windows to check the time again) which set my clock correctly. Then suddenly, everything installed fine.  Hope that helps someone out there.

ThatTechGuy
Protege

Old thread here, but I though that I would share my solution.  I had this same problem in Windows 10, trying to install Lone Echo after I purchased it. Clicking install would do nothing.

In the end, what it was was that my Windows System clock was wrong.  I turned off the feature which sets my clock automatically, then turned it on again (forcing windows to check the time again) which set my clock correctly. Then suddenly, everything installed fine.  Hope that helps someone out there.

I remember having that same issue. haha, for some trial versions of applications, the application looks at your system clock. so I just set the clock back 1 year and the trial works again. just have to remember to set my clock back to the correct date. lol
AMD Ryzen 1800X | GYGABYTE GA-AB350M-Gaming 3 | G.SKILL F4-3200C14D-16GFX | Corsair H110i GTX | EVGA GTX980 FTW |120GB SanDisk SSD | Seagate 2TB HDD | EVGA 850 GQ Power supply | Fractal Design Define S