cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sensor connected to USB 3.0 says it's connected to USB 2.0 in Rift set-up

soopytwist
Protege
I've got two sensors connected to USB 3.0 ports. One of them says it's in a USB 3.0 port which is correct but the other says it's in USB 2.0 which is a lie. No matter what port I put it in it says USB 2.0 whereas the headset and other sensore all say USB 3.0 no matter what port I put them in (all USB 3.0). I've also got USB 3.1 ports but haven't tried them. What's going on?

I also constantly get a pop up alert in Windows bottom corner to say a USB 3.0 device would run better if it were connected to USB 3.0... no shit.
28 REPLIES 28

soopytwist
Protege
Interesting...http://imgur.com/WzcCSTb, from the Asus X99 Deluxe II manual.
My CPU has 40 lanes. My GPU is on PCI-E 1 and a soundcard is on PCI-E 4. However this configuration doesn't suggest any of the USB ports would be downgraded to USB 2.0 speeds. Interesting though.

The soundcard would have gone in PCI-E 5 but then I wouldn't be able to see the Q-Code on the motherboard.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Did you try the driver I suggested?
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

soopytwist
Protege

That's for MSI motherboard. Mine is Asus.

YoLolo69
Trustee
I cannot really help about the current state, but saying you probably break something when you installed the Intel Drivers, and they probably continue to reinstall even if you uninstall them. I can't remember where, but Windows keep a directory with all previous drivers installed, and you will probably be fine if you find it and clear it. Or if you have an image of your system before trying to sole the problem I suggest to reload it (restore), as the first part of your story is IMHO the best one to keep.

The first state you describe have an explanation for the sensor using the extended cable delivered with the extra sensor : this cable is USB 2.0 from factory, so if you plug this cable in USB 3.x port any device at the end will land to USB2.0, this is expected.

For the sensor using what you described by a short cable coming with the HMD I'm kind of puzzled as mine didn't come with any extension cable (only when I bought the third sensor came the USB2.0 5M cable). I could imagine it's also an USB 2.0 extension cable, and that could explain the first state before you messed up with drivers? If that's the case you didn't have any problem at the origin... My headset and my rear sensor are plugged USB2.0 and the 2 front sensors are plugged on USB3.0, work fine for me.

As said, I suggest to try to retrieve first state where HMD and rear sensors was showing USB2.0. I agree the screenshot is messy as same port appear USB2.0 on the left and USB3.0 on top right, but that's look like a display bug in Oculus tool...

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 10700K,  RTX 3070, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, Oculus Rift CV1

cybereality
Grand Champion

It's for the Asmedia USB controller, which is used on Asus motherboards. I think it should work, at least it has for other people with Asus mobos.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

soopytwist
Protege

It's for the Asmedia USB controller, which is used on Asus motherboards. I think it should work, at least it has for other people with Asus mobos.

Ok I'll give it a go. Will have to be tomorrow now though. Thanks.

soopytwist
Protege
One other thing. Do I have these settings in the BIOS right? http://imgur.com/hk7z7hH
Don't know why it says 3 keyboard and 2 mice.

danknugz
Superstar

There is no problem with having some on USB 3.0 and USB 2.0. In fact, there are more problems if you have everything on USB 3.0. You should make sure at least one sensor is connected via USB 2.0.

this is the first ive heard about this, care to elaborate? 
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?

cybereality
Grand Champion
https://www.oculus.com/blog/oculus-roomscale-balancing-bandwidth-on-usb/

danknugz
Superstar
ah yes i rememebr this article. but what about the hmd usb which requires 3.0 as well? does that barely use any bandwidth so as to regard it as negliible?

i currently have 3 separate usb controllers (intel, asmedia and an add-in card with a direct power to the PSU), the HMD usb goes to intel 3.0, one sensor on the asmedia 3.1, and 3 sensors on the add-in card. i guess i could try and move one of the theee sensors off the card and onto the intel, but works fine.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?