cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sensor connected to USB 3.0 says it's connected to USB 2.0 in Rift set-up

soopytwist
Protege
I've got two sensors connected to USB 3.0 ports. One of them says it's in a USB 3.0 port which is correct but the other says it's in USB 2.0 which is a lie. No matter what port I put it in it says USB 2.0 whereas the headset and other sensore all say USB 3.0 no matter what port I put them in (all USB 3.0). I've also got USB 3.1 ports but haven't tried them. What's going on?

I also constantly get a pop up alert in Windows bottom corner to say a USB 3.0 device would run better if it were connected to USB 3.0... no shit.
28 REPLIES 28

cybereality
Grand Champion
The sensors are more key because they are high bandwidth. The headset can work on USB 2.0 as well and as far as I know it shouldn't make much of a difference.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

danknugz
Superstar
cool, guess ill try that and free up the intel controller for that 4th sensor. probably also explains why i never needed to switch to an active extension cable for the hmd.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?

flexy123
Superstar

One other thing. Do I have these settings in the BIOS right? http://imgur.com/hk7z7hH
Don't know why it says 3 keyboard and 2 mice.

No. I have LEGACY off and xHCI at enabled, not on Auto. I have a Z87 board but same settings there.
Also...don't do any testing with the extension cables. The included extension cable may be USB2.0 only.

Also..RIFT on USB2.0 (or seen as connected to USB2.0) is totally ok, as long as sensors are recognized as USB3.0. (Exception: If you have THREE sensors, one should be on 2.0 according to Oculus)

danknugz
Superstar

The sensors are more key because they are high bandwidth. The headset can work on USB 2.0 as well and as far as I know it shouldn't make much of a difference.

FYI cybereality, i tried using usb 2.0 for just the hmd over the weekend and experienced lots of audio crackling/popping; it only went away when i went back to usb 3.0.

afaik, the usb of the hmd is used for audio. 

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?

zork2001
Heroic Explorer
if you plug it into a usb3.0 port without the extension cable does it show as 3.0?

soopytwist
Protege
Yep. Plugging the sensors in without extension says they're USB 3.0 - though still telling me that A: a USB driver update is recommended even though Asus don't have one and the Intel one's just about f'ked by PC, and B: They've got poor tracking quality (wireless synch timed out). Or maybe that's because I'm not currently using Rift and everything is in my desk draw.

zork2001
Heroic Explorer
might be using a 2.0 extension cable, USB 3.0 use a thicker cable

flexy123
Superstar
>>
poor tracking quality (wireless synch timed out). Or maybe that's
because I'm not currently using Rift and everything is in my desk draw.
>>

yes, this is why.

Vader2019
Honored Guest

flexy123 said:

One other thing. Do I have these settings in the BIOS right? http://imgur.com/hk7z7hH
Don't know why it says 3 keyboard and 2 mice.

No. I have LEGACY off and xHCI at enabled, not on Auto. I have a Z87 board but same settings there.
Also...don't do any testing with the extension cables. The included extension cable may be USB2.0 only.

Also..RIFT on USB2.0 (or seen as connected to USB2.0) is totally ok, as long as sensors are recognized as USB3.0. (Exception: If you have THREE sensors, one should be on 2.0 according to Oculus)

I have a 3 sensor setup. I have 2 as 3.0 and one as 2.0 as recommended, however sometimes it will show one as 3.0 and 2 as 2.0...also why am I still getting the rift setup notice in blue?