cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So far the worst $500 I've ever spent.

Eibon76
Explorer
MSI laptop, Windows 10 64 bit, GTX 1050Ti graphics, 16GB memory

Downloaded the software and started to install.  Was told that even though the HDMI cable was connected, to use a different port for best results.   My laptop has 1 HDMI port, no more.

Continued to install.  XBox controller would not sync no matter how many times I tried, put in new batteries, etc.  Hopeless.  Finally decided to skip the damn controller and continue.

Finished installing and connecting everything.  And guess what?  Audio, but no video at all in the glasses.

Sending this back tomorrow.   Can't understand why they sell a "consumer" version if it doesn't work so frequently.  For $500 I expect a hassle-free fun experience, not the headache I have now.

104 REPLIES 104

Expediter
Expert Protege
Your laptop is plugged into the wall when your setting this up correct ? The power output of everything goes to crap if not plugged in. 

Also so you might need to look into the nvidea control panel and make sure the hdmi port it set to your nvida card for all applications. 

Eibon76
Explorer
Yes, it has DisplayPort.  Ordered an adapter from Amazon to see if that works.

Yes, it is plugged into the wall. 

I have accessed the NVIDIA control panel and see nothing at all regarding HDMI.

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
It will work thats how I use VR with my MSI laptop.
They dont mention that little tidbit about their laptops.
Its even how they had rifts plugged in at a tradeshow to show that their laptops could do VR.
WAAAGH!

peetezaah
Explorer

Morgrum said:

It will work thats how I use VR with my MSI laptop.
They dont mention that little tidbit about their laptops.
Its even how they had rifts plugged in at a tradeshow to show that their laptops could do VR.

What do you mean? Are you referring to using a DP adapter to connect to the Rift ?
HP Omen 17-w103np: i7 6700HQ, GTX 1070  16GB DDR4, 3 x 3.1 Gen 1 USB, 1TB SSD + 1TB HDD 

kojack
MVP
MVP
What is the exact model of laptop?

The xbox controller definitely has issues with wireless connections. That's not the rift's fault though, that's a microsoft controller with a microsoft adapter on a microsoft OS with microsoft drivers that fails to connect. It's MS that made things difficult there.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

bigmike20vt
Visionary
Obviously i am wrong if your laptop passes all tests however i thought gtx 1060 was the minimum gpu? 
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

zboson
Superstar

Obviously i am wrong if your laptop passes all tests however i thought gtx 1060 was the minimum gpu? 

GTX 1050 Ti or 960 are the minimum for NVIDIA.

https://support.oculus.com/help/oculus/170128916778795/

zboson
Superstar
I have always used Oculus products with gaming laptops. MSI, ASUS, and Alienware and I got the CV1 and DK2 working on all of them.  The MSI and ASUS laptops  had a GTX980M that did not meet the "recommended" minimum specs but I ignored the warning and they worked well enough for me.

The only one that gave me a problem was ASUS. I ended up having to use the DisplayPort. I had to get a good HDMI to DisplayPort converter. The first two I had which were laying around did not work. I bought a new high quality one and that did the trick.

elboffor
Consultant
The real issue here is not an oculus problem, its clearly a laptop issue.
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

Zoomie
Expert Trustee
@Eibon76

I understand your frustration but as you can see people here were more than happy to try to help you solve the issues.  This is still pretty cutting-edge technology so it's inevitable you'll run into a few hiccups with the vast array of hardware out there.

Hopefully members here (and Cyber) were able to help you get it running.
I know it's tough when you're frustrated after trying to troubleshoot, but saying things like "How can they sell this to the public when nothing works?" is more likely to get you flamed than it is to get you the help you need.
Luckily the members here were helpful despite the initial tone of your cry for help.  
Zenbane must be asleep or something.  🙂
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C Clarke