cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So far the worst $500 I've ever spent.

Eibon76
Explorer
MSI laptop, Windows 10 64 bit, GTX 1050Ti graphics, 16GB memory

Downloaded the software and started to install.  Was told that even though the HDMI cable was connected, to use a different port for best results.   My laptop has 1 HDMI port, no more.

Continued to install.  XBox controller would not sync no matter how many times I tried, put in new batteries, etc.  Hopeless.  Finally decided to skip the damn controller and continue.

Finished installing and connecting everything.  And guess what?  Audio, but no video at all in the glasses.

Sending this back tomorrow.   Can't understand why they sell a "consumer" version if it doesn't work so frequently.  For $500 I expect a hassle-free fun experience, not the headache I have now.

104 REPLIES 104

Choronzon
Adventurer
Copy/paste job of one of my earlier posts:

Typically, incompetent Microsoft mention nothing about the requirement
for a driver in the bit of paper taken as an 'instruction manual' that
comes with Xbox One Controller, thinking that everyone has an Xbox One
driver nicely tucked away deep in the bowels of Windows.

Here is a direct link to the driver (taken from reddit) for anyone else still scratching their heads wondering why it doesn't work. Once installed, works fine.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/spyrhkhd4waxydy/AMD64-en-20770008_a4e687fb93fcb19c1bc067d8a51f1c1c32d2c574...

BoxDroppingManA
Expert Protege

Eibon76 said:

How can they sell this to the public when nothing works?

I know, right? It's so unacceptable that thousands of consumers literally just you have had this problem.

"PEBKAC" comes to mind.

Morgrum
Expert Trustee

dRumMzZ said:

Morgrum said:

It will work thats how I use VR with my MSI laptop.
They dont mention that little tidbit about their laptops.
Its even how they had rifts plugged in at a tradeshow to show that their laptops could do VR.

What do you mean? Are you referring to using a DP adapter to connect to the Rift ?

Yes a mini display port adapter
WAAAGH!

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Zoomie said:
Luckily the members here were helpful despite the initial tone of your cry for help.  
Zenbane must be asleep or something.  🙂

I purposely try to stay away from the Support forum. It is threads like this that remind me why I became a software developer...

Zoomie
Expert Trustee
There he is.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C Clarke

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Zen is like your nose, always there 
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Calmfixup
Heroic Explorer
...so has he not come back because he's busy having his mind blown?

Techy111
MVP
MVP
No silly, nose blown !!!
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Calmfixup said:

...so has he not come back because he's busy having his mind blown?

He's probably juggling posts between the Microsoft, NVIDIA, and MSI forums:
  • Microsoft for providing a controller that doesn't even connect to their OS
  • MSI for falsely advertising a VR-ready laptop
  • NVIDIA cause, "I have accessed the NVIDIA control panel and see nothing at all regarding HDMI"

I predict that upon his return, he'll remind the community that this is Oculus' fault (since Oculus should obviously test against all current and future computer configurations prior to release). But then his Rift will work and a week later this will be "the best $500 I've ever spent."

❤️

cybereality
Grand Champion
I've also had the XB1 driver issue on 2 of my machines, completely unrelated to anything Oculus.
http://mattpilz.com/fix-for-xbox-one-wireless-adapter-not-working-in-windows-10-xbox-acc-driver/
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV