cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the Real Reason Behind the Oculus Summer Promotion Price Cut?

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
The Oculus Summer promotion came as a surprise for many, but reading between the lines what is a real  reason for this action right now? Is there something else going on behind the scenes? Speculation and conspiracy theories welcome.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
130 REPLIES 130

FlakMagnet
Adventurer
To sell all of their stock of Rift and Touch before ZeniMax wins their court case and Oculus can't sell the Rift anymore 😉

bigmike20vt
Visionary

To sell all of their stock of Rift and Touch before ZeniMax wins their court case and Oculus can't sell the Rift anymore 😉

if that turned out to be true... i got that prediction in at least 24 hrs before you 😛 😉
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

FlakMagnet
Adventurer

if that turned out to be true... i got that prediction in at least 24 hrs before you 😛 😉

Damn! :blush:

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

that acer HMD looks pretty tidy imo

Just had a chance to handle the Acer system - still some issues, but it gives the Rift a good run for "its money"! That AR capability and insideout tracking is going to be a important aspect of its design.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Anonymous
Not applicable
Other. Both the Rift (after its previous price cut earlier this year) and the Vive must both be pretty close to selling 1m units. This is a push from Oculus to get there first.

bigmike20vt
Visionary

kevinw729 said:

that acer HMD looks pretty tidy imo

Just had a chance to handle the Acer system - still some issues, but it gives the Rift a good run for "its money"! That AR capability and insideout tracking is going to be a important aspect of its design.

how were the motion controllers? my understanding is the HMD needs to be able to "see" the controllers at all times to track. was this an issue?

thanks
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Sharpfish
Heroic Explorer
Got some misgivings about the upcoming (low tier) MS HMDs. Higher res yes, but LCD.. meh. And inside out tracking that may or may not have issues (esp with controllers which are vital to me and always were)? we'll see. Nice ergonomics and pricing though (better than rift or vive on ergo - sold my vive mainly due to bad ergonomics but not only that but pricing too). Also not sure on who they are pushing it to, it seems very 'middle ground' focussed, not gamer focussed. I'm sure the next wave of MS stuff will be great though (GEN 2) but cost more.

Been out in the wilderness waiting for GEN 2, sold my PSVR too (pretty cool but far from vive or rift tracking + can't dev on it).

Which leads me back to my first VR Love.. Oculus. Oh what have you done? $400? I'll have me some of that, it's almost devkit price for proper input + a decent HMD, if/when GEN 2 vive or LG pop up, depending on spec and price, I can always sell the rift on (as I have with Vive, PSVR and DK2). 

Good move for VR, HTC being very complacent and Valve not urgent enough in pushing = stagnating VR market. This price cut has lit a fire under nay-sayer's asses, people seem to be going crazy for it all over the net now. For the good of all decent (PC) VR I'll take that as a win for VR regardless of if it's valve, ms, facebook... 

EX DK2/VIVE/PSVR/CV1/Q2/PSVR2 | Currently Quest Pro (PCVR) | VR developer
RTX 3080 FE / 12900k / Windows 11 Pro

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think I have it.

The real reason for this Oculus Sale:
To sell more units.

Dayum that lightbulb just went off.

DarkTenka
Trustee
@Zenbane is really Mark Zuckerberg.

He saw this forum poll and stole the idea: https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/54430/vr-is-just-too-expensive-were-doomed-unless-there-is-a-serious-price-cut-how-much/p1

vannagirl
Consultant
has anyone seen Zenbane and Zuckerberg on this forum at the same time?

gets you thinking yes
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are.