cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Medium 1.2 Update and Release Notes!

naycorn
Heroic Explorer

Welcome to the “Summer of
Move”
Oculus Medium update!

You’ve asked and we’ve listened! This release brings the most requested feature
from professional artists: the Move tool, which gives you the ability to
reproportion and repose your sculpt.  Studio Share lets you sculpt
live together in VR with a friend. Manipulators let you precisely
position and adjust objects in your scene, and Reference Meshes let you
import your own 3D models into Medium. 

Happy sculpting! bdywqwuti0du.png

74 REPLIES 74

Anonymous
Not applicable
Now I've calmed down a bit I have a few question about Studio Share  😛 

How much bandwidth does it actually use roughly?

Does it load in the full model/layers etc of the other person or is there some magic happening here?

If you are both working on large sculpts will you notice a big impact on performance and the RAM usage? 🙂

MattHickman
Rising Star

FrozenPea said:

Now I've calmed down a bit I have a few question about Studio Share  😛 

How much bandwidth does it actually use roughly?

Does it load in the full model/layers etc of the other person or is there some magic happening here?

If you are both working on large sculpts will you notice a big impact on performance and the RAM usage? 🙂

Best way to think of it is live streaming a recording. So any affect working while having a recording playing would have, will be similar, just over your network.

Sterling77
Rising Star
Legit !!! 
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/52965/sterlings-sketchbook

Sterling77
Rising Star
GAME CHANGER - OF GAME CHANGERS !!! 
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/52965/sterlings-sketchbook

Anonymous
Not applicable
Does this mean we can have medium sculpting battles?! Next challenge?  😛

nalex66
MVP
MVP

FrozenPea said:

That would be pretty damn cool, actually!

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

MattHickman
Rising Star

FrozenPea said:

As long as you guys set up a detached video pane and record it! 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just tried it out, wow, this is way more than I expected in a single update! Thanks you, medium team.
The move tool is impressive and looks like it was not a small feat to implement (seems as if the view deformation is on the polygons first, and that the volume gets updated at the end), but the other things are fantastic as well. A few points and of early feedback:

- the new way to set tool size with thumbstick press is a life saver: it was infuriating before, it's perfect now
- surface constrains on separate layers allow cool effects and might help for detail work and adding features (hair, scales, etc). From what I remember it's not possible to set constrain to other layers only though which could make this even more useful.
- palettes import is very useful, especially since I have a hard time with the picker, and maybe I will be able to make anatomy progress with the polygon models!
- advance move tools are great for accuracy, but are definitely not easy to use. There are a lot of successive choices and options for the layer settings now, and some stuff is not the most intuitive (moving the layer vs its origin for example). A kind of combined gizmo (translation, rotation, scale) could maybe help and keep amount of sub menus down. Oh and no non-uniform scaling :'( 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Totally gonna do this, Medium Quick Draw Challenge!

I'll start a new thread

nalex66
MVP
MVP
So I tried some of the new features, very nice! Love the Move tool and using surface constraints across layers.

I noticed something about the Studio Share menu, though--it seems to be limited to 25 friend slots. I have over 100 people on my Oculus friends list, so I can only see people up to the mid F's. How do I send an invitation to FrozenPea or P3nT4gR4m?

It sorts the friends who are online to the top of the list, which is nice, although it doesn't show any indication of online status--I can just tell because of the discontinuity of the alphabetical sorting.

It would be great if the list could be unlimited in length, and a clear online status indicator like the Home friends list shows would be helpful too.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo