cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus' Secret New Game Revealed: Marvel Powers United VR

CrashFu
Consultant
https://www.oculus.com/marvel-powers-united-vr/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=oa...

Holy @#$% you guys, I don't think they possibly could have made something more relevant to my interests.  :grin:

It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
59 REPLIES 59

CrashFu
Consultant

YoLolo69 said:

I'm impressed for now by the trailer itself which is amazing, they know how to create such thing!

Yeah. It can't be understated how important trailer design is when talking VR apps.  You can't just show people raw footage alone or they won't be able to tell how its different from a regular 2D game.  Oculus trailers often do a good job of capturing that feel of "stepping into another world", and having the sights and sounds of a game surround you.

They also try pretty hard to emphasize that VR users aren't just friendless shut-ins .... although I'm just now realizing that all these people in the ad had to text each other on their phones just to organize their VR gaming session.  Painfully accurate. :tired_face:
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Looks like the usual franchise emboldened stab at the swollen mainstream cash sack. Reminds me of the first time I saw perfect dark zero on the Xbox 360, impressive at a glance but for some reason I feel it's going to be horribly uninspired.

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
Well im not going to lie I will pre order this game as soon as its avalible.
Getting Disney on board tells me that the Rift will not be going away anytime soon.
WAAAGH!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yea that is a good point. Although I do worry there is way too much of this "first time using VR" appeal going around. I'm looking forward to when a large developer makes the plunge and commits to a project with significant longevity. But again, I suppose we're yet to see what Powers United has in the way of progression and replayability.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Average game development time for a big title with longevity is 3-5 years. We barely passed the 1 year mark. We're gonna keep seeing more instant-gratification type games in the meantime. Unless someone invents a time machine soon lol

CrashFu
Consultant

Zenbane said:

Average game development time for a big title with longevity is 3-5 years. We barely passed the 1 year mark. We're gonna keep seeing more instant-gratification type games in the meantime. Unless someone invents a time machine soon lol

Although, Oculus does have the advantage of having approached game developers about these projects and giving them the funding to start work on them LONG before the first CV1 pre-orders were even shipped. Heck, there could be major projects we still don't know about that have been in development since the DK1 days!   In fact, I'd bet on it.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Great point @CrashFu

There are certainly a handful of development studios who may have begun work as early as 2014 or 2015. Which means that we could be 1-2 years away from finally seeing something huge.

Although the big multi-million dollar contributions to this effort didn't really start until Around 2016 when Zuckerberg made this monetary commitment.

Hopefully by Christmas 2018 or Summer 2019 we can finally start to see the massive VR titles taking the world by storm.

MowTin
Expert Trustee
Are you limited to those three characters? Hulk is anA-lister but the other two  not so much.

I think Cyclopes would be a cool character in VR. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

Zoomie
Expert Trustee
I noticed two things while showing this trailer to friends.  The scene where the hulk roars and they cut to the player doing the same thing (and looking a bit foolish) is pretty key.  It showed me that my friends were imagining themselves doing EXACTLY THAT, and they also looked embarrassed because it showed them what they'd actually look like in real-life to everyone else while doing it.

We need to get to the point where the fun of VR overrules the self-consciousness that comes along with looking dorky putting on VR gear.  If VR becomes a social pariah like LARP, it's going to take FOREVER for mass adoption.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C Clarke

nalex66
MVP
MVP

MowTin said:

Are you limited to those three characters? Hulk is anA-lister but the other two  not so much.

I think Cyclopes would be a cool character in VR. 

There will apparently be four characters to start (the fourth hasn't been revealed yet) with more added over time.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo