cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The problem with multiplayer

cybernettr
Superstar
 I was an echo arena last night and I noticed an interesting phenomenon going on: major segregation according to age.  There were a lot of kids in the game, which was obvious from their voices, and they were giggling and laughing and playing around and obviously having a lot of fun, but they were mainly staying in the reception area (or whatever it's called).  

They were huddling around, forming trains by grabbing each other's legs, and generally goofing off, but they weren't playing any of the actual competitive games, as far as I could tell.  I heard one of the older players even say "Wow, kids!" as he scurried off to another area.  I even heard one of the kids saying that he enjoys waiting for newbies to coming to the game so he could pester and confuse them. 

I thought this was just the general frivolous nature of being a young kid, but after thinking about it, it occurred to me that a possible reason for this is quite different: a young kid simply cannot compete with the greater hand-eye coordination of an older player.  I can understand why. I'm far from a kid, and yet I went into the gaming arena and simply could not begin to keep up with some of the more skilled players there.  

I enjoy the ambience and atmosphere of VR, but I'm not a natural born gamer and I never will be, no matter how much I practice.  I actually prefer playing against an AI, which can be tuned to your specific skill level, rather than a random player whose skill level probably does not come close your own.  

And this, I think, is the problem with multiplayer.  Unless you arrange a meet up with people you know, you are not likely to get much satisfaction from playing against a random stranger. 
53 REPLIES 53

cybernettr
Superstar

Zenbane said:

I'm not one to try to earn a living playing video games... but there are people making quite a bit of money doing it. So again, you aren't really referring to anything factual:
https://www.esportsearnings.com/games

Over $100 million for DoTa 2; 41 million for Leage of Legends; 35 million for Counter-Strike; 23 million for StarCraft II.

Yeah, a lot of that game playing is being outsourced to places like India. It's a lot easier to earn a living gaming when your living expenses are $12 a day, counting electricity. 

cybernettr
Superstar

Zenbane said:

Every human starts off a turd. A slimy, screaming, helpless little mammal. Then we go to school and learn stuff. Which means... turds are getting polished. 

No, each baby is a bundle of genetic potential. Each one is born with the potential to be good at certain things (and not so good at other things).

Actually, it works out pretty well that way, as each child, discovering his or her inborn talents, can find their niche in life and contribute in their own unique way to society.  That is, if they are encouraged to find out what those talents are rather than being bamboozled with dippy slogans like "you can be anything you want to be, if you just set your mind to it."

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

No, each baby is a bundle of genetic potential. Each one is born with the potential to be good at certain things (and not so good at other things). 

If your argument is that each person is born predestined to only excel at certain things, then that is the exact opposite of potential. Anyone can achieve anything through hard work. Everything else you're saying is something people convince themselves of in order to justify laziness.

cybernettr said:
That is, if they are encouraged to find out what those talents are rather than being bamboozled with dippy slogans like "you can be anything you want to be, if you just set your mind to it."

These are not mutually exclusive things. It is possible to believe you can be anything you want while also discovering your own talents. Once you decide what you want to be you can then figure out how to best use your talents to achieve your goals.

Also, you already expressed your belief in the slogan, "you can't polish a turd." So you are no longer qualified to label anything else a "dippy slogan" lol

Here's a spoiler for you: the slogan regarding a person being able to "be anything they want" has nothing to do with doing everything themselves. Sometimes if you want to be something that you have zero Talent nor Skill in achieving, then the best thing to do is to surround yourself with those who can help you achieve your goals. In fact, some people are born with a special ability to attract  others. And that is how they achieve their goals. So it seems you don't really understand the slogan, you're just more concerned with making excuses for people who do not strive to actually work hard.

cybernettr
Superstar

Zenbane said:

If your argument is that each person is born predestined to only excel at certain things, then that is the exact opposite of potential. Anyone can achieve anything through hard work. 

So how are you enjoying your billionaire's lifestyle LOL? 

Seriously, I do believe in "predestination." That is, I believe in "genetic predestination." Your genetic potential for certain things, such as your gender, propensity to certain diseases, etc., is determined at conception.  It's folly and delusion to believe that certain things can be changed after the fact.  Accepting your genetic potential is one key to avoiding frustration in life, as well in channeling your energies towards those areas in which you have the most potential for success.  Accepting and recognizing your inborn potential is actually empowering rather than disempowering, as it frees you to focus on your strengths instead of berating yourself for your weaknesses. 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

cybernettr said:
 So how are you enjoying your billionaire's lifestyle LOL? 

Why stop at billions and not trillions?  😛

If any one of us here truly strived to be a billionaire and work hard at it, then we could very much achieve it. That goes for both me and you. 

Genetic predisposition is only one tool in a very large tool box. It is "hard work" that makes the difference and shapes the outcome.

Turning your weaknesses into strengths is far more empowering than settling for whatever you believe your natural-born talent is. And realizing that your potential extends beyond genetics is also more empowering than pigeon holding yourself.

cybernettr
Superstar
Oh, come on! Surely you don't believe that! Anyone can become a billionaire if only they try hard enough? So why aren't there more billionaires out there? Why aren't YOU a billionaire? And don't tell me that you simply haven't tried hard enough!

Genetic predisposition isn't one tool in the toolbox. It's the tool box itself. Hell, its the whole effing workshop!  😄

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
dp

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Oh, come on! Surely you don't believe that! Anyone can become a
billionaire if only they try hard enough? So why aren't there more
billionaires out there? Why aren't YOU a billionaire? And don't tell me
that you simply haven't tried hard enough!

I have definitely not tried hard enough to become a billionaire. That's
not even a goal on my To Do list. Have you tried? What exactly have you
tried to do to become a billionaire?

Although I'm not sure why
you are so obsessed with the idea of becoming a "billionaire," that's
just a red herring to this discussion.

And again, why not trillionaires? There are trillionares in the world:
https://www.google.com/#q=trillionaires+list

While
you're avoiding answering the trillionare question, I'll pose another
question that you can pretend you can't see: are you saying that
hard work can't overcome genetic limitations?

Genetic predisposition isn't one tool in the toolbox. It's the tool box itself. Hell, its the whole effing workshop!  😄

The person is the tool box, and the tools inside are what the person uses
to accomplish goals. You are getting lost in the analogy 😄

We had the words from Michael Jordan which contradict your stance in this discussion. Here's another great quote from a high achiever that also contradicts your entire position:

kzintzi
Trustee
I don't think I have the energy or drive for ANYTHING that much that I could become a billionaire.. 
Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.

cybernettr
Superstar
Geez Zenbane, sometimes you argue just for the sake of it. Okay, let me try this: what about those people in the inner cities? Would you say they are simply not trying hard enough? Or are there forces blocking them beyond their control? Be careful with your answer!