cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How small an area do you need and can it be used from a swivel chair

philipkuffner
Explorer
I have a very small area in my home office with not more than four feet to the rear and the width of six feet  I was hoping this system will work if I stayed in my office chair. I have bad knees and cant stand for long. but can take chair out if that is the only way toi use the system
growing older is mandatory growing up is optional
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

dirrtygmoney
Honored Guest
I'm in a similar situation with a swivel chair and a small room.  The Rift has worked just fine with most games.  Every now and then, you might move outside the sensor coverage but it isn't a deal-breaker.  360 degree coverage is kinda hit or miss -- at least for me but again, not a major deal.

Keep an eye on player modes in the Oculus Rift store.  The "Standing" games will probably have issues in a tight space and "room scale" games are probably a no-go for our tight spaces.

(I'm about a week into my Rift...so I could be entirely wrong too.)

View solution in original post

cybernettr
Superstar
Point your sensors a little lower than normal. You might want an armless swivel chair. They can get in the way of free motion of your hands. 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

dirrtygmoney
Honored Guest
I'm in a similar situation with a swivel chair and a small room.  The Rift has worked just fine with most games.  Every now and then, you might move outside the sensor coverage but it isn't a deal-breaker.  360 degree coverage is kinda hit or miss -- at least for me but again, not a major deal.

Keep an eye on player modes in the Oculus Rift store.  The "Standing" games will probably have issues in a tight space and "room scale" games are probably a no-go for our tight spaces.

(I'm about a week into my Rift...so I could be entirely wrong too.)

cybernettr
Superstar
Point your sensors a little lower than normal. You might want an armless swivel chair. They can get in the way of free motion of your hands. 

cleanupdisc
Adventurer
You can still enjoy seated controller experiences like project cars or elite dangerous. But you may not be able to enjoy oculus  touch games like robo recall while seated.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Most games on the Oculus store work fine as "standing room only", so your amount of space shouldn't be a problem. I've been playing with a similar size space for the past year. The ideal play space is considered to be 7' wide x 5' deep, but yours will be considered "Moderate" by the setup program.

Some games use your height as a reference, but if you want to always play seated without being 4' tall in games, you can cheat the setup program: tell it your real height, but let it scan you in a seated position; this will put the virtual floor at a distance below your eye level as if you were standing. The only drawback to that is if a game demands that you pick up a virtual item from the floor--you may not be able to reach it if the virtual floor is a couple feet below the real floor.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
I am using a similar small space at the moment with a swivel chair and have no issues with most games including Robo Recall etc. Sure, there's not as much movement like being able to duck next to cover and the like, but you can still take advantage of free or teleportation movement to counter it - especially if you warp to an area with your back to a wall or solid object.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

philipkuffner
Explorer
Thanks folks for all the help need to set it up before grandson shows next month to let him know that 65 is the new 30:)
growing older is mandatory growing up is optional

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Awesome! Have fun!

HiThere_
Superstar
The CV1 main menu could do with a sit/stand toggle so you can switch between standing and sitting on a swivel chair, or the ability to type in a number to offset your height as needed... but it just isn't there yet.

In the meantime one solution might be to buy selfie stick extensions for each sensor stand, so you can raise and lower the sensors as needed.

nalex66
MVP
MVP

Cyril said:

The CV1 main menu could do with a sit/stand toggle so you can switch between standing and sitting on a swivel chair, or the ability to type in a number to offset your height as needed... but it just isn't there yet.

In the meantime one solution might be to buy selfie stick extensions for each sensor stand, so you can raise and lower the sensors as needed.

Moving the sensors isn't recommended without re-doing sensor setup. Height set-up is quick and easy to do, though--in the Oculus app, go to Settings/Devices/Configure Rift/Floor Position. Type in a new height, let the sensors scan you, and you're all set.