cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you clean Dirty Sweaty Rift lenses?

nerdVRBuddy
Protege
it' snot just dust anymore. it's mixed with like dry sweat and wiping with the microfiber doesn't work. Any tips?
Can i use a moisten towel?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cpt_Custard
Adventurer
safest way, wait till your rift is cold then huff on the lenses and use the cloth provided. Thats how ive cleaned my glasses for the last 40 years, no need for anything else, and yes I hate any spec of dust on my lenses it drives me crazy  😄

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm interested in this too... would glasses cleaning spray be ok? Would it be best spray onto a cloth then wipe lenses?

flexy123
Superstar
I cannot give you a general answer since there are zillions of glass cleaners or multi-purpose cleaners out there and not all of them may be "harmless". I am using one (multi-purpose/glass cleaner) which I use for a long time already so I was quite confident that it is mild and likely won't damage the lenses. (Even then, it was a risky thing to do...but fortunately it works). But I only use this when there are really bad oily patches on the lenses, otherwise I use that cloth.) Tissues are also very bad, because they flake. (Maybe Kimwipes would work, I remember those from the US 🙂

ALWAYS put the (mild!) cleaner on some cloth/rag first, don't ever spray directly on lenses or a monitor. (This stuff will otherwise flow everywhere and can destroy electronics and displays!). Be on the safe side, and get lens/glasses/LCD cleaner wipes. Much better.

Moist towel with mild soap solution...could work for getting rid of the most oily stuff...before you use the cloth.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I just use my breath to fog up the lenses and wipe with a microfibre cloth - the sort you can get from opticians to clean glasses. The cloth you're using is probably gunked up with the dust and oils that you've previously cleaned off the lenses before, just get some of those cloths from your nearest optician and use those instead, changing them when they themselves get gunked up.

falken76
Expert Consultant
Can you not just dampen the cloth and clean it?  I clean all my monitors with a damp cloth, I never use any chemicles, is it not safe to clean these lenses the same way?

Syrellaris
Rising Star
Why not just use those wet alcohol clothes for glasses...

Cpt_Custard
Adventurer
safest way, wait till your rift is cold then huff on the lenses and use the cloth provided. Thats how ive cleaned my glasses for the last 40 years, no need for anything else, and yes I hate any spec of dust on my lenses it drives me crazy  😄

nerdVRBuddy
Protege
I use the cloth like it says and i finally cleaned the gunk. thanks all

Litespeed
Heroic Explorer

Why not just use those wet alcohol clothes for glasses...

Alcohol is ok for actual (silicate) glass, but acrylic glass or other plastics may suffer damage from alcohol. An then there usually is a coating that might be sensitive as well.

nalex66
MVP
MVP

snowdog said:

I just use my breath to fog up the lenses and wipe with a microfibre cloth - the sort you can get from opticians to clean glasses. 

This is what I do as well, and it has worked for me for over a year. I wouldn't recommend putting any sort of cleaning solution on your lenses. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo