cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I "chatted" with Gear VR regarding a problem I was having with "overheating".

rchriscollierjr
Honored Guest
They told me that it would overheat every 30 to 45 minutes and that I would have to stop using it until it cooled down.  This is totally unacceptable.  Anyone have feedback?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Phaserlight
Heroic Explorer

They told me that it would overheat every 30 to 45 minutes and that I would have to stop using it until it cooled down.  This is totally unacceptable.  Anyone have feedback?

Wow, 45 minutes!  My S6 would overheat in under 5 minutes when playing "Annie Amber".

My solution is this:

http://m.imgur.com/a/qSyBg

Problem is gone, now.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
Play with a fan blowing on your face?
WAAAGH!

rchriscollierjr
Honored Guest
Morgrum, your response was about as helpful as the one from Oculus.  Does anyone have any feedback regarding the overheating issue when used with a Samsung S6?

Techy111
MVP
MVP
No I believe he is serious, there has been many mods to the gear vr including fans. This is a long time issue with no real resolution. 
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
I was actually being serious I have several ceiling fans around my playspace but not over it.
WAAAGH!

rchriscollierjr
Honored Guest
In my opinion, the product is not ready for distribution.  I returned it and will want for something new.  Thanks for your response.  

jayhawk
Superstar
Gear VR isn't the problem. Using phones for something they really aren't intended to be used for is. Someone else I know that has a Gear VR told me the same thing. I told him I thought people were crazy to use them since heat is the silent killer of electronics. It's not just Gear VR. Using them to play games on will overheat them quickly too. Nothing like prematurely killing your $700 device.

Plain and simple phones can't handle full gpu/cpu loads, especially not long term. The power is there. The cooling isn't. All my opinion of course.

DanielLim79
Explorer
There is a fan being sold on Amazon for 35 and it seems to be perfect solution.  Just search Gear VR cooling fan.  I bought phone cooling fan from a korean site called Gmarket for 12 dollars and it fits perfectly.  I don't know if I can't post a link but here it is

http://mg.gmarket.co.kr/ItemDetail?GoodsCode=837201520&GdscCode=300021772

Just clip it on the back of the phone and insert it into the Gear VR.  Works on 1 AAA battery and pasts 8 hours.  You can get rechargeable AAAs of course and you can use the Gear for hours without overheating.

Phaserlight
Heroic Explorer

Wow, 45 minutes!  My S6 would overheat in under 5 minutes when playing "Annie Amber".

My solution is this:

http://m.imgur.com/a/qSyBg

Problem is gone, now.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was told that if you plug it into the charger while using it it will keep it from over heating. I've tried it and it seems to work.