cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Steam VR?

xavier4or
Explorer
Newbie question here - I see several discussion wrt Steam VR games - but trying to figure out what are the advantages?  Are there unique VR games available via Steam that you can't get via Oculus store?

I checked a few of the popular ones and they seemed to be listed both in Oculus store and Steam.

Thanks!
59 REPLIES 59

BeastyBaiter
Superstar
No, he is a fanboy. Dismissing all other whatever's without even considering them does make one a fanboy. In any case, OH has precious little stuff on it worth playing. I've enjoyed Robo Recall and might get Echo, Dirt or Project Cars, but the rest seems like nothing but tech demo's or amateur stuff thrown together over a weekend in Unity. Steam has plenty of that junk too, no question about it but it also has some very good VR exclusive and VR optional games such as DCS, IL2:BoS, X-Plane 11, Redout, WarThunder, Onward and tons of others. In fact, pretty much all of OH's games are also on steam, so there's those too. In that case I'd go for cheaper price obviously.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

No, he is a fanboy. Dismissing all other whatever's without even considering them does make one a fanboy.

But Steam is being considered... and the conclusion presented is that Steam can easily be avoided for a better option. If you are blind to that argument then that makes you a White Knight who is misusing the label "fanboy."

Other than Onward and the Lab, most of the Steam games referenced in this discussion are trash compared to experiences like Echo Arena, Robo Recall, and Landfall. To name a few.

Besides, the title of this thread poses the question: "Why Steam VR?"

That question is being answered; if you think the answer makes someone a "fanboy" then either you don't understand how questions work, or you're just highly biased towards Steam.

snowdog said:
Valve have been doing VR a lot of harm by letting any old crap on Steam as long as it has VR in the title and things haven't improved since they started this Steam Direct thing in June either.

Exactly! Not even the new VR Skins was enough to keep me going back.

Anonymous
Not applicable
You have to be trolling. Lucky's Tale, Robo Recall, The Unspoken, Dead & Buried, The Climb, SuperHOT VR (now also on Steam but the game wouldn't exist if Oculus hadn't funded it), Damaged Core, Edge Of Nowhere, Chronos, The Mage's Tale, Lone Echo, Echo Arena, Wilson's Heart, EVE Valkyrie, Technolust, Dreadhalls and Feral Rites are all full games that are of high quality with decent budgets behind them and high production values.

Some of those I've listed have also now appeared on Steam but without Oculus and Facebook investing in these developers none of those games I've listed that are now listed on Steam would exist.

And there's a major release coming every month for the rest of the year. The difference between the quality of the average game on Steam and the average game on the Oculus Store is about as night and day as you can get because Valve let so much shite be on there. Like I've said, it's one reason why I won't let my game anywhere near Steam.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
The one game I liked the most that started off on Steam and came over to Oculus Home is Fated.

But I did prefer to wait until I could get it in Oculus Home. Even still... I only played it once, as the experience wasn't as memorable compared to what I previously enjoyed with Albino Lullaby and Technolust (at that particular moment in time). I've played both those games multiples times; the difference in quality is apparent.

BeastyBaiter
Superstar

CrashFu said:

So if you're really eager to play some half-assed college-kid projects that were rushed to completion to rip-off better games, then sure, check out Steam VR.  But anything on there that's actually worth playing is either already on Oculus, or soon will be.

That statement right there is what makes him a fanboy.

Other than Onward and the Lab, most of the Steam games referenced in this discussion are trash compared to experiences like Echo Arena, Robo Recall, and Landfall. To name a few.

You may not like the flight sim genre or racing games, but calling them trash is a bit harsh. I don't call Lucky's Tale, The Unspoken, Dead & Buried, The Climb, Damaged Core, Edge Of Nowhere, Chronos, The Mage's Tale, Lone Echo, Echo Arena, Wilson's Heart,Technolust, Dreadhalls, Albino Lullaby and Feral Rites trash just cause I either don't like or have zero interest in them.

Incidentally, if it weren't for Robo Recall, I'd have blocked OH from even launching when I use my Rift (I haven't found a way to do this without also blocking manual starting). It just doesn't have any games that interest me. If that changes, I'll buy stuff here (assuming fair price). But they have to offer it. Right now they don't and steam does. I don't think that makes me a white knight or a steam fanboy. Incidentally, half the games I play are directly from the dev's webstore, not steam.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

That statement right there is what makes him a fanboy.

And this statement is what makes you sound childish.

You are taking someone's opinion, and due to your inability to offer an intellectual retort, you resort to name-calling, And now you're just repeating yourself as if monotonous repetition is somehow a valid thing 😄

BeastyBaiter said:
You may not like the flight sim genre or racing games

I never said I disliked Flight Sims. Re-read what is being said and try again.

I have a Thrustmaster HOTAS and thoroughly enjoy both Elite Dangerous and Eve Valkyrie. Spoiler: those are flight sims. The stuff you listed isn't worth investing in based on ED and EV, in my opinion. You're welcome to disagree. The point is that we can discuss disagreements about products and services, even using colorful language to express our true feelings. But if the best you can do is name-calling then it seems that you have a very misplaced personal attachment (e.g. White Knighting).

BeastyBaiter said:
Incidentally, if it weren't for Robo Recall, I'd have blocked OH from even launching when I use my Rift

In other words, you're a hardcore Steam fanboy; dear sweet irony.

I hate Steam but I wouldn't go as far as to block or uninstall it. I have a few games and will suffer through its annoying client and interface.

Besides, there are die-hard Vive lovers who end up using Revive to play Oculus Exclusives. So whatever you think you are trying to prove with your "I would block OH" doesn't really add up with the overall consensus.

Robo Recall is fun, but there are so many other titles that are far better. I find it odd that Robo Recall, a Teleportation Game, is the only thing keeping OH running on your PC.

KenSniper
Adventurer
Might not be relevant for you, but thanks to regional pricing, I buy on Steamvr rather than OH, unless there are exclusives which I wait a really long time for a sale then I would actually purchase it on OH

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

KenSniper said:

Might not be relevant for you, but thanks to regional pricing, I buy on Steamvr rather than OH, unless there are exclusives which I wait a really long time for a sale then I would actually purchase it on OH

That is understandable. If someone doesn't mind Steam VR, or even prefers it, then it makes sense to purchase games there instead of OH. Especially if it's the same game only at a lower price.

Since last year I have stated that I have no problem intentionally paying a higher price just to get my game in OH; because I truly prefer OH instead of Steam VR.

Although those Oculus sales are awesome. I purchased Defense Grid VR for $10 discounted from $30.

Everyone has their own preferences; luckily we have enough software floating around to (hopefully) keep us all happy.

kojack
MVP
MVP
I'm a big fan of DCS, X Plane and Elite Dangerous.
Which is why I wouldn't buy them from Steam. All have their own stores where all of the money goes to the developer, rather than giving a 30% cut to Valve.

I like Oculus Home more than SteamVR. But pricing can be quite different (Oculus tends to charge australians way more than Steam does for the same game. I got Dirt Rally $23au cheaper from Steam). Plus there are some games like Euro Truck Sim 2 that aren't on the oculus store.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Javelin396
Adventurer
Steam VR does have some decent games to be sure (as other has mentioned onward, pavlov, dead effect 2, Karnage Cronicles to name a few) so i wouldnt jump to say that theres nothing worth playing over there that isnt on the oculus store. Perhaps you could lump the Doom 3 BFG mod in that category but that might be a bit generous (still totally worth while tho). Not sure if any of those are coming to oculus store that i've heard of. both OHS and Steam have alot of low quality apps floating around, but steam definitely takes the cake for having the most.