cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMD FX8230, not good enough for you

Spillmypint
Explorer
Just brought a new motherboard, MSI970, cpu FX8230 and 16gb of ram to go with my Geforce GTX790.  Thinking, i'll be whizzing about the VR world even better than my old maxed out to full xeon-5460 8GB work horse.  And guess what happens.   Oculus fix it so i can't install on my new machine, C'MON.... i'm just above the minimum specs, but not quite at the optimum ones.  I can overclock this cpu apparently, so its well above whats needed.  but NOOOOOOooooo.   the wrong chip, even though it does the SSE 4.2.   This man isn't a happy bunny.  NOT AT ALL
6 REPLIES 6

BeastyBaiter
Superstar
I'm sorry to say that those specs are no where near the recommended spec and I'm not entirely sure they even meet the listed minimum. The FX series of processors are absolutely ancient. They were bad 6 years ago and definitely have not improved with age. Additionally, that's far enough back that I'm not sure the motherboards for them even have USB 3.0. If not, you'd have to get a PCI-E expansion card for USB 3.0/3.1. Finally, I'm assuming you're using a GTX 970, in which case that part might actually be ok.

For an extreme budget build, I recommend:
CPU: R3 1200 (you will have to overclock)
GPU: GTX 970 might be passable but RX 480 8GB recommended
Motherboard: Any B350 with at least 3 USB 3.0 slots should be fine
RAM: 8GB+ DDR4 2666 MHz or better

ogflatlander
Protege
I didn't have money to upgrade my MB and CPU when I got my Rift and I am running a FX8350 and a 970 and so far haven't ran into any issues.  Granted once I finish my new build I will take that back but you can't miss what you never had.  

nangu
Expert Protege
Used my FX8350 when I bought the rift, and it worked like a charm paired with my GTX 1070. Also, the Asmedia USB 3 on that motherboard (Asus 970 chipset) worked from the go with the rift.

Try to overclock the CPU to 4.0 and test the rift on it. After all you have nothing to loose. If it doesn't work, you will need to upgrade 😞 

Spillmypint
Explorer
Hello all,
The USB3.s on thes MSI970 threw up a problem, so have a pci-e doobrey on the way.  Incidently, if i disabled those "VIA"? ports through the device manager, it passed? 

I've tried overclocking to 4.4ghz, and still says problem with the processor.  All of the other things, memory, operating system and Graphics card are fine.

I've since installed the Oculus runtime, developers version 0.8.0.0.  And having some success with running it with the Steam VR.  The hmd is being a little bit jittery, its like the two screens are a little bit out.  That might improve when the proper USB3 card arrives.

I realise this FX8320 is an old system, but positively new compared to my old Gigabyte P35 motherboard!!.  

Is there a cpu which i can buy that will definetly just pop in and get me past that oculus machine check (August 2018).  I've tried looking for an official list of CPUs, but all lists are dated 2016?  I think Oculus keep moving the goalposts as time goes on.

Many thanks for your inputs !

MowTin
Expert Trustee
Why don't you buy a used i7 and mobo on ebay? They must be giving those away by now. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

BeastyBaiter
Superstar
You'd think so but they aren't. I recently checked Haswell I7's on ebay for someone and all of them wanted about the same price as a brand new I7-7700k.