cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPU update advice: GeForce GTX 1050Ti-4GB or GeForce GTX 1060-3GB?

Blissing
Honored Guest
I need to update the GPU on my secondary computer to be able to run the Rift. (Currently there is a GTX 760 card, which refuses to create a DX11 context).

I don't want to spend too much since this is my secondary computer. I found two cards which both are within the desired price range. The options are either a GeForce GTX 1050Ti with 4GB of onboard memory or a GeForce GTX 1060 with 3GB of onboard memory. I have checked the specs and the 1060 is faster, BUT I am wondering if having more onboard memory is a more desirable feature for the Rift?
8 REPLIES 8

HiCZoK
Protege
1060 3gb is better. Or try and look for rx480.

Blissing
Honored Guest

HiCZoK said:

1060 3gb is better. Or try and look for rx480.

Well, I already know that the GTX1060 is faster. BUT the question was if 3GB memory is sufficent. Or if I should get the 4GB GTX1050Ti version instead.

The RX480 is more than twice the price compared to the 1050 and 1060, so that card is no option for me.

TehJumpingJawa
Expert Protege
The high resolution and framerate make compute performance and memory bandwidth more important to the rift than capacity, so the 1060 3GB is the better choice.

That said, right now is a poor time to be buying a GPU due to inflated prices. Moreover if I were buying a GPU intended for rift usage, I'd get a 1070.

BeastyBaiter
Superstar
The obvious solution is the RX 570, unfortunately it's currently selling for about double MSRP thanks to miners (RX 480/580 has same issue). I think you're going to have to bite the bullet and get a 6GB GTX 1060. I really don't think the 1050 TI is going to have the speed and the 3GB model won't have the VRAM. You really do need at least 4GB of it from what I've seen.

Blissing
Honored Guest

I really don't think the 1050 TI is going to have the speed and the 3GB model won't have the VRAM. You really do need at least 4GB of it from what I've seen.

Well, the GTX1050Ti is listed under the minimum requirements on the Oculus Support page. But that page says nothing about available VRAM requirements.

My intention for this secondary computer is to have something to run simpler Rift demos on when the main computer is tied up by other family members. I would love to have the economy to get a higher spec GPU and CPU for this secondary computer, but right now I really cannot afford it. I just want to update it so I can show something. (With the current GTX760 the Rift won't even start, as OVRServer_x64.exe crashes during startup. Due to failure of creating a DX11 Context, which I guess is caused by the low spec GPU. Although the same computer have previously run the DK2 successfully).

BeastyBaiter
Superstar
In that case a 1050 TI should work fine. I thought you actually intended to play games with it as opposed to showing off some of the little demo's. And I wouldn't pay much attention to Oculus's minimum spec. They are trying to sell hardware. Putting a GTX 1080 TI in there as the recommended spec and an RX 480 8GB or GTX 1060 6GB as the minimum would scare a lot of people away even though I think that's what is really required for a good experience.

Blissing
Honored Guest
I got a pretty good price on a GTX 1060 6GB, so thats what I got.

And...

FilmgeekTimmy
Explorer
Sweet Blissing I'm glad it all worked out for you!