cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allergic to my Rift

madamluck
Heroic Explorer
so l have a plastic allergy.. if plastic is touching my skin or is in extremely close proximity of my skin for several hours I have a reaction . I've had this issue since I was younger and it's become like second nature to avoid all things plastic that could cause me to breakout without even a thought.
so I bought a rift a few months ago because I had to have it! . I'm a casual player, a couple/ few hours every other day.I have had no problems with pain or swelling!  But in the past couple of days I've been using medium, time flys by when drawing so 3 hrs only feels like an hour. Without realizing that in the past couple of days I've spend over many hours wearing the headset . Last night my face started hurting some while playing but I brushed it off as a blocked pore causing pressure pain. Kept on drawing. I eventually took off the headset and notice straight away my line of sight was off due swelling under my eye.. looked in a mirror and I was swollen pretty good under my left eye while I only had some mild swelling under my right. I ice packed my eyes which brought the swelling down . I still have it today just not as bad. Another day or 2 and it should clear up, as long as I don't rift lol.
it actually never dawned on me to check out what materials where in the rift  , I wanted one so much! Lol. I honestly don't care, still don't really... I love my rift... swollen eyes and blurred vision won't stop me from playing !! . But now that I know I will breakout if on it for to long in one sitting without taking necessary breaks. I can easily avoid this from happening again! ... this isnt oculus's fault... it's completely mine and my stupid allergies! I'm actually more upset I have to take a break from my rift over the swelling lol.

im wondering if there's other face plates that could help me avoid this or some sort of cover so material that contains plastic is unable to cause my skin to react:
31 REPLIES 31

madamluck
Heroic Explorer
I received my new facial plate from vrcover. It's the basic set with the pu leather and fabric cover. I'm very much loving the feel of it on my face! And while I haven't played my rift long with the new plate I have noticed that I don't have that awful foam imprint around my face- I think I remember that being called a rift rash awhile back lol. 
Its definitely an improvement and I'm very happy with it. With the fabric cover all possible plastic material isn't touching my face so I should be able to play for hours on end without having a reaction. 
The only thing I'm not crazy about is how the fabric cover applies. I wish you could secure the ends onto the frame better. it's just a very minor observation ,it's not something to loss sleep over lol.

Wish I had bought this sooner! 

ekv5o3dlch2k.jpgq3bpcqhnx2vx.jpg

vannagirl
Consultant
Awesome news!!
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

madamluck
Heroic Explorer
@vannagirl I was pretty excited about the cloth too . I saw it and was like omg how cool it that with the vr headsets on it lol

vannagirl
Consultant
you know i have wondered buying these myself for ages and ages, i may just take the plunge now
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

madamluck
Heroic Explorer
@vannagirl I just got it so I haven't put them to the test yet with long play time. But first impression and with how they feel definitely makes me recommend them. The pu leather velcros to the plate so they are very easy to remove and clean. The fabric doesn't feel cheap either . I'd say you would like these a whole lot more than the stock plate 

CrashFu
Consultant
Let us know how those VR covers are regarding sweat management;   I'm wondering if it might be a good investment for me to get one, for when I'm using VirZoom or Touch games/apps.

Otherwise, if I sweat up my Rift I have to let it sit in front of a fan for a couple hours before it dries out completely.  Once it dries its fine, but if I get too impatient and try to wear it while it's still a little wet, it feels so gross. :tongue:

It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

madamluck
Heroic Explorer
@CrashFu the fabric feels thick and absorbent . It's machine washable but I'll probably hand wash it to cut down on time and let it air dry. The pu leather under it is a wipeable surface so even if you don't have the cover on , every now and then you could take off the headset, wipe it clean and dry and then put the headset back on. I haven't done that yet but I'll be sweating up a storm later and will see how it goes. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Glad you got it sorted. I can't imagine life without being able to wear my Rift for long periods!

madamluck
Heroic Explorer
@CrashFu after a few long sessions (3/4 hrs) - that's long for me lol, for the past few days of daily wear I'm happy to report that it absorbs great! And my face isn't nasty and sweaty. I can definitely get a few more days out of it before washing it. Also it's pretty comfortable too and I don't have marks on my face like the stock plate leaves.

madamluck
Heroic Explorer
@snowdog I absolutely love the new faceplate and cover. Definitely recommend it over the stock plate that comes with the rift.