cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Green "galaxy" like noise in both displays, noticeably worse on the right.

Shaboubalah
Explorer
Title, in dark areas there is what looks like a galaxy of green noise in both displays, with a meandering section of black near the top (so, like a night sky with a dark band, but green). It's like thousands of tiny green spots.

Now, I know the SDE and god rays, and this issue is neither. It is also not present on my bf's Rift, and was not present in the demo Rift I used. To say, not present in ANY degree.

I'm already in contact with support, but I'm assuming because my phone just cannot take a good representative photo of the issue, my complaint has been all but dismissed at this time. I find this unacceptable, this issue is making certain games and experiences nearly unplayable. This is the photo I sent: https://imgur.com/a/cb74H

It's admittedly a horrible representation of the issue since it just looks like green blurring (again, phone camera issue), but you would think the obvious difference between the two displays would give some cause for RMA.

I'm hoping someone who had a similar issue could give me their experience on how the issue was resolved. I'm currently sitting with this response from support:

"Thanks for sending us the picture.

The occurrence you're describing appears to be normal behavior, and exists to some degree in all headsets.

While it can vary between headsets, it more typically varies between users. This does not affect the functionality of the Rift, and should still allow for great experiences.

I realize that this is not the answer that you were hoping for; however, we do appreciate your understanding in this matter."

I really hope this is a misunderstanding due to the photo because there is no way I'm putting up with defective hardware (which this clearly is).

60 REPLIES 60

flexy123
Superstar
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/6xwbfa/is_the_red_tint_issue_back_but_this_time_its_green/

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/6xcgr1/need_to_talk_to_an_actual_oculus_developer_about/

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/6ulsha/very_bad_mura_correction_noise_on_my_new_oculus/

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/6tca7t/why_you_may_need_to_disable_spud_oled_mura/

I could likely spend an hour here on the forum and collecting these and then on reddit and fill two pages with it.

THIS IS NOT, BY ANY MEANS "normal behaviour". There is a number of people on reddit right now having the problem. it is VERY distracting and makes the Rift in dark/black scenes more or less un-usable. People are returning their Rifts for this reason just to get units back with the same issue or the issue even worse. As to my knowledge, "older" units with lower serial number are not affected.

People had been at Oculus Connect and had been bringing this issue to the attention of Oculus reps. They had been told to PUSH.CUSTOMER SUPPORT.ABOUT.THIS because "this is definitely not normal". (Original citation Oculus reps)

Distracting greenish/white/reddish bands/"galaxies" etc. all across the display? You must be kidding me caliing this "normal".

OP, right now there is no "solution" to this, except that you can "deactivate Spud" (search the forum or google about this) which gets rid of the artifacts but might (or might not) introduce other issues, your mileage may vary.

Shaboubalah
Explorer

flexy123 said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/6xwbfa/is_the_red_tint_issue_back_but_this_time_its_green/

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/6xcgr1/need_to_talk_to_an_actual_oculus_developer_about/

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/6ulsha/very_bad_mura_correction_noise_on_my_new_oculus/

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/6tca7t/why_you_may_need_to_disable_spud_oled_mura/

I could likely spend an hour here on the forum and collecting these and then on reddit and fill two pages with it.

THIS IS NOT, BY ANY MEANS "normal behaviour". There is a number of people on reddit right now having the problem. it is VERY distracting and makes the Rift in dark/black scenes more or less un-usable. People are returning their Rifts for this reason just to get units back with the same issue or the issue even worse. As to my knowledge, "older" units with lower serial number are not affected.

People had been at Oculus Connect and had been bringing this issue to the attention of Oculus reps. They had been told to PUSH.CUSTOMER SUPPORT.ABOUT.THIS because "this is definitely not normal". (Original citation Oculus reps)

Distracting greenish/white/reddish bands/"galaxies" etc. all across the display? You must be kidding me caliing this "normal".

OP, right now there is no "solution" to this, except that you can "deactivate Spud" (search the forum or google about this) which gets rid of the artifacts but might (or might not) introduce other issues, your mileage may vary.

Thank you, I thought I was going crazy. I started a thread on Reddit and just now someone told me it's normal and present on all displays, which is "funny" considering neither my bf's Rift nor the demo Rift I tried had ANY degree of this issue. I just really wish I could get a better photo to show what I'm seeing. I also do indeed have the new Rift bundle, while demo/bf/friend's versions are the two box sets. Smh.

flexy123
Superstar
Lol, people should not assume that Oculus users are stupid. Lots of folks can compare to the old units, there was not such an issue, ever. Slight "linen effect", yes, this is normal, but not obvious bands across the screen. The fact that the artifacts are not easy to catch on camera doesn't make the issue go away.

We know exactly what you're seeing, and so do many more users.

There are two scenarios here:

1.) Oculus (& CSRs) are unaware of the problem: Then they  need to get up-to-date on this.

2.) They know about the issue but try to convince people it's "normal".

Shaboubalah
Explorer

flexy123 said:

Lol, people should not assume that Oculus users are stupid. Lots of folks can compare to the old units, there was not such an issue, ever. Slight "linen effect", yes, this is normal, but not obvious bands across the screen. The fact that the artifacts are not easy to catch on camera doesn't make the issue go away.

We know exactly what you're seeing, and so do many more users.

There are two scenarios here:

1.) Oculus (& CSRs) are unaware of the problem: Then they  need to get up-to-date on this.

2.) They know about the issue but try to convince people it's "normal".

So, going into the registry completely got rid of the problem, but now I have some strange lag. Sigh. Well the Rift is going back either way, at least to the retailer since I also got a dead sensor in my package (so lucky). Then maybe someone can try it on and see it for themselves what the photo doesn't show.

flexy123
Superstar
Lag shouldn't be because of disabling Spud, maybe reboot the PC.

Shaboubalah
Explorer

flexy123 said:

Lag shouldn't be because of disabling Spud, maybe reboot the PC.

All good now.

So now I'm wondering, is this a viable "fix", will this become an issue down the road, does it affect the display long term, why didn't support tell me about this, etc etc. 450€ and I had the crap luck to get the new SKU bundle. 

*EDIT* While searching around the forums I actually found you also bought from Caseking and returned for the same issue. How is Caseking about returns? What's the turn around rate?

flexy123
Superstar
Caseking is great...and returns from within Germany should not be an issue. I had a "slight" delay because I live in Spain, and all returns from other countries end up in some different section in their receiving center so they basically "forgot" about my package. After 12 days I pushed a CSR via Hardwareluxx forum...and they *immediately* searched for the package and found the "lost" package and sent the new exchange unit next day in the morning. (It cannot hurt if you remind them after some days about your return so this won't happen to you). Otherwise no problem with return and also with reimbursement of shipping costs.

YET..here's the issue, but this will likely apply to any other retailer at least in Europe. I am pretty much believing your replacement unit will have the same issue, like happened to me and many others. As it looks to me, the only way to increase chances for an ok unit is if you happen to get an "old" unit. I BELIEVE that Oculus also re-packaged some older units for the new SKUs, at least according to someone who got an exchange from BestBuy (US), the guy said he got a new Bundle (with Touch) for replacement but the unit itself, the "perfect unit" had an "old" serial number. (Go figure....) Whether such old units can be found in new bundles...and what retailer has them and how to know that you get them....no idea. It's really a lottery game. Of course I can be wrong and your next unit be ok, but I'd be surprised. (If I were convinced this being the case, I had long started exchanging THIS unit as well, of course)

*** Needless to say the idiocy that the OLD BUNDLE (although still available in some places, incl. CK) costs much more. Alternatively, should your replacement have the issue again...what would be an option is simply returning unit, get money back and then buy an "old" unit, say from ebay or classifieds.

*** Edit: realizing we're talking about the impossibility/difficulty to purchase an Oculus Rift without a flaw. That we even need to do this is ridiculous on its own...

Edit2: No, disabling Spud does not in any way affect reliability etc. BUT it can be that it can cause issues like poorer "not so black" blacks and some report ghosting, more apparent god rays or whatever. Might depend on your particular displays.

Shaboubalah
Explorer

flexy123 said:

Caseking is great...and returns from within Germany should not be an issue. I had a "slight" delay because I live in Spain, and all returns from other countries end up in some different section in their receiving center so they basically "forgot" about my package. After 12 days I pushed a CSR via Hardwareluxx forum...and they *immediately* searched for the package and found the "lost" package and sent the new exchange unit next day in the morning. (It cannot hurt if you remind them after some days about your return so this won't happen to you). Otherwise no problem with return and also with reimbursement of shipping costs.

YET..here's the issue, but this will likely apply to any other retailer at least in Europe. I am pretty much believing your replacement unit will have the same issue, like happened to me and many others. As it looks to me, the only way to increase chances for an ok unit is if you happen to get an "old" unit. I BELIEVE that Oculus also re-packaged some older units for the new SKUs, at least according to someone who got an exchange from BestBuy (US), the guy said he got a new Bundle (with Touch) for replacement but the unit itself, the "perfect unit" had an "old" serial number. (Go figure....) Whether such old units can be found in new bundles...and what retailer has them and how to know that you get them....no idea. It's really a lottery game. Of course I can be wrong and your next unit be ok, but I'd be surprised. (If I were convinced this being the case, I had long started exchanging THIS unit as well, of course)

*** Needless to say the idiocy that the OLD BUNDLE (although still available in some places, incl. CK) costs much more. Alternatively, should your replacement have the issue again...what would be an option is simply returning unit, get money back and then buy an "old" unit, say from ebay or classifieds.

*** Edit: realizing we're talking about the impossibility/difficulty to purchase an Oculus Rift without a flaw. That we even need to do this is ridiculous on its own...

Edit2: No, disabling Spud does not in any way affect reliability etc. BUT it can be that it can cause issues like poorer "not so black" blacks and some report ghosting, more apparent god rays or whatever. Might depend on your particular displays.

I think the worst part of all of this is that it's only other people with the same issues who are even acknowledging this. I still can't believe that last reply I got from support. I even mentioned how none of the other Rift headsets I've tried had this issue in any capacity yet they try and say it's normal. Unbelievable. The only good thing about support atm is that they are getting back to me very quickly (three times in one day), though I suspect some of that may be because my ticket was never escalated...

I'm within Germany so hopefully my return will be quick and painless. Maybe I'll win the Rift lottery...I'll report back.

flexy123
Superstar
I mentioned on reddit the possibility that the displays are "bad", but thinking about it, if this was the case turning Spud off should show all kinds of horrors but it doesn't. (With the exception of somewhat poorer blacks and possibly a not so optimal gamma curve). But there is no indication that the displays are "bad". This makes me believe it may be a problem with Spud (aka: Oculus software) which means it should be solvable.

Anyway, much luck with your return 🙂
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?