cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Green "galaxy" like noise in both displays, noticeably worse on the right.

Shaboubalah
Explorer
Title, in dark areas there is what looks like a galaxy of green noise in both displays, with a meandering section of black near the top (so, like a night sky with a dark band, but green). It's like thousands of tiny green spots.

Now, I know the SDE and god rays, and this issue is neither. It is also not present on my bf's Rift, and was not present in the demo Rift I used. To say, not present in ANY degree.

I'm already in contact with support, but I'm assuming because my phone just cannot take a good representative photo of the issue, my complaint has been all but dismissed at this time. I find this unacceptable, this issue is making certain games and experiences nearly unplayable. This is the photo I sent: https://imgur.com/a/cb74H

It's admittedly a horrible representation of the issue since it just looks like green blurring (again, phone camera issue), but you would think the obvious difference between the two displays would give some cause for RMA.

I'm hoping someone who had a similar issue could give me their experience on how the issue was resolved. I'm currently sitting with this response from support:

"Thanks for sending us the picture.

The occurrence you're describing appears to be normal behavior, and exists to some degree in all headsets.

While it can vary between headsets, it more typically varies between users. This does not affect the functionality of the Rift, and should still allow for great experiences.

I realize that this is not the answer that you were hoping for; however, we do appreciate your understanding in this matter."

I really hope this is a misunderstanding due to the photo because there is no way I'm putting up with defective hardware (which this clearly is).

60 REPLIES 60

Neme2017
Explorer
I understand perfectly the problem you have, in fact my cv1 and my girlfriend also have it, mine is very serious on the left screen, although I got many more problems, in the end I opened an RMA and I am waiting of a replacement, but without any hope that the next one is better.
I also wondered if I was going crazy, since I did not find any current post on the subject and almost no one seemed to understand that ruling.
I also tried SPUD but to start the screens turned gray and never black ...

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
I get the green galaxy if I have my Rift plugged through the adapter to the mini display port.
But in the back with my roomscale where the hdmi connection works I dont get it.
WAAAGH!

Shaboubalah
Explorer

Neme2017 said:

I understand perfectly the problem you have, in fact my cv1 and my girlfriend also have it, mine is very serious on the left screen, although I got many more problems, in the end I opened an RMA and I am waiting of a replacement, but without any hope that the next one is better.
I also wondered if I was going crazy, since I did not find any current post on the subject and almost no one seemed to understand that ruling.
I also tried SPUD but to start the screens turned gray and never black ...

I'll need to compare the black again with my bf's, I wouldn't even know what the black is supposed to look like at this point anymore. After weeks of using this one, all I know is green speckles, what is black? :pensive:

Morgrum said:

I get the green galaxy if I have my Rift plugged through the adapter to the mini display port.
But in the back with my roomscale where the hdmi connection works I dont get it.

That's actually really interesting. I kind of want to start a spreadsheet with all this info...

flexy123
Superstar

Morgrum said:

Could you please double check this, say in BigScreen when you're in "The Void" room?

There is only one logical explanation for this, this would be a different output dynamic range (blacks) you get on the HDMI, so that the Rift doesn't display the black levels which would show the bands. It definitely hasn't to do with DVI/HDMI *per se*. (HDMI when it's set at limited range would only send brightness levels of 16-235, which would mean it's possibly excluding the "critical" range)

Unfortunately, with the latest Nvidia drivers I cannot "simply" switch the output dynamic range any more. Whether there is a relationship deserves to be investigated...although optimally you don't want to be at limited range anyway.

Nij
Heroic Explorer
I've also got a very similar issue and started a thread too and am also in contact with oculus

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/57146/is-this-another-known-rift-defect#latest

I had my original rift since launch and only ever had the red tint issue which went after the updates but my original recently had the issue with no audio on the right hand side and they sent me a replacement rift which now has the above issue and looks like it has a white smear or smudge in both lenses and is very much noticeable in darker areas of games and completely ruins affected

@flexy123
I've tried it in bigscreen too after your suggestion and it is visible there too but not as much as in affected

Having just had a new rift sent out, the process took around just over 2 weeks and I'm in the UK which was painful enough and I can't face another 2 weeks for only to get another rift with the same issue

I haven't tried disabling SPUD yet but will maybe try that tomorrow, just wanted to see what oculus have to say next and didn't want it to start causing further issues

Here's the pic I managed to take with my s8+ which does make it look a tad green

c91n3p18ccfi.jpg

Headsets: DK1 Kickstarter edition, DK2, Rift CV!, Oculus Go, Rift S, HP Reverb G2 System: i7-8086K, Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming, 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz, 11GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2, Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

flexy123
Superstar
Yup, looks almost identical to mine and the previous unit.

https://imgur.com/a/I4kZ2

Anyway I am in contact with them as well now and I am happy to help with what I found out so far. They are looking into this now and I understand this takes some time. (IMO, this is a problem with Spud).
By the way, try disabling Spud. It works "alright" without Spud. Yet, the issue here of course is that Spud is not doing what it's supposed to do. Spud should actually get rid of (natural) imperfections in the screens, not cause them 🙂

Why I think it is a problem with Spud, and *possibly* solvable in software: If the displays would be "bad", I think it should be noticeable without Spud. But without Spud, I "merely" have somewhat poor blacks and possibly a not so optimal gamma curve..but I don't notice any flaws with the display itself.

1nk5gevv9iu5.png
(This is what I think we're seeing here. Left is a calibration image of the display. Every Rift has them, actually many for various brightness levels. Spud uses them to correct for display imperfections. Right is the same img, negative,contrast incr. and slightly rotated.)

Shaboubalah
Explorer
dupe removed

Shaboubalah
Explorer

Nij said:

I've also got a very similar issue and started a thread too and am also in contact with oculus

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/57146/is-this-another-known-rift-defect#latest

I had my original rift since launch and only ever had the red tint issue which went after the updates but my original recently had the issue with no audio on the right hand side and they sent me a replacement rift which now has the above issue and looks like it has a white smear or smudge in both lenses and is very much noticeable in darker areas of games and completely ruins affected

@flexy123
I've tried it in bigscreen too after your suggestion and it is visible there too but not as much as in affected

Having just had a new rift sent out, the process took around just over 2 weeks and I'm in the UK which was painful enough and I can't face another 2 weeks for only to get another rift with the same issue

I haven't tried disabling SPUD yet but will maybe try that tomorrow, just wanted to see what oculus have to say next and didn't want it to start causing further issues

Here's the pic I managed to take with my s8+ which does make it look a tad green

c91n3p18ccfi.jpg

This is actually the best photo I've seen of the exact issue I'm having. 

Shaboubalah
Explorer

flexy123 said:

Yup, looks almost identical to mine and the previous unit.

https://imgur.com/a/I4kZ2

Anyway I am in contact with them as well now and I am happy to help with what I found out so far. They are looking into this now and I understand this takes some time. (IMO, this is a problem with Spud).
By the way, try disabling Spud. It works "alright" without Spud. Yet, the issue here of course is that Spud is not doing what it's supposed to do. Spud should actually get rid of (natural) imperfections in the screens, not cause them 🙂

Why I think it is a problem with Spud, and *possibly* solvable in software: If the displays would be "bad", I think it should be noticeable without Spud. But without Spud, I "merely" have somewhat poor blacks and possibly a not so optimal gamma curve..but I don't notice any flaws with the display itself.

1nk5gevv9iu5.png
(This is what I think we're seeing here. Left is a calibration image of the display. Every Rift has them, actually many for various brightness levels. Spud uses them to correct for display imperfections. Right is the same img, negative,contrast incr. and slightly rotated.)

This is better than any Oculus tech has given me so far. It's completely accurate to the issue. Any word from support so far? Clearly this is coming down to a mostly calibration issue, mixed with some possible hardware. Why on earth would Oclulus not address this instead of letting us exchange headsets out constantly? Vive has serious issues, but Oculus is rapidly losing their cred with this, especially at the equal price in Europe (its actually cheaper for us to have a three point sensor setup with vive, and considerably after the sale was over)

I very much appreciate your sleuthing. Oclulus itself should appreciate you right now as well, you're the only reason a lot of us here and on Reddit are holding on for a software/firmware update until an official statement is given (ahem, my limit is two weeks, my EU consumer laws and personal impatience)

flexy123
Superstar
Yes I believe they are investigating this and wouldn't mind an "official statement" either. Not "insider engineer information" (we won't get this 🙂 but a hint that the issue is acknowledged and whether a software update MIGHT possibly solve this and could be expected.
I don't know when the issue came to their attention (whether this happened when we started tickets or whether the issue is known for longer)...so I have no information there on progress either.
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?