cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I feel abandoned about AAA games support on Steam, please help

Dan1018
Adventurer
Yesterday I have read about the Htc Vive exclusive for the AAA game L.A.Noire. I bought Oculus this summers's sale to buy games also on Steam as many
people did. It's just a peripheral, a complex monitor 2.0 basically,
it's a pain to see developers giving exclusives to some monitors instead
than others. To be honest I'm angry with this really narrow minded.
People like me just committed sacrifices to buy Oculus Rift and give
trust to the new VR market in general, and now the first AAA games such
L.A. Noire, Fallout 4, Doom VFR, are just off the official Rift suppot
on Steam. As a customer I wish to run in the opposite direction. Maybe I
had to wait before jumping into the vr market. I couldn't afford a vive
and I wouldn't because they are going to replace their controllers
design, so I bought the Rift for a better price and it is awesome, it
could make run/display those AAA games very very well.
I see/feel
like if I'm in a situation of being abandoned. Is it like this? I hope
someone can do something. Maybe just letting our voices reach the right
people could count.
54 REPLIES 54

Dan1018
Adventurer
Thanks to OpenVR (developed by Valve) all the VR games that are published on Steam that have not the oculus magic label like this....

....will works anyway by with a major very very bad difference (that is one of the reasons why I'm here to speech): OpenVR does convert automatically (without developers intervent) the control scheme of the Vive to the one of the Oculus Touch, the issue will be the controller compatibility. Vive pad doesn't always convert well to Touch sticks.
A quote from a famous blog explain: "control schemes do not
always translate well between a zero-order controller (Vive touchpads)
and a first-order controller (Touch analog sticks). With many using the
Vive touch-pads as extra buttons due to the lack of physical buttons,
which can make use with a stick awkward or impossible (to way to move a
stick to the top before 'clicking; if the 'click' has been defined as a
capacitive contact event, for example)."

This mean that if L.A. Noire, Fallout 4, Doom VFR will have not that magic label but will have only the Vive label....

....the Oculus customers will probably be unable to play the game.

The problem is so huge that I can't relax when I think about the value for money of my buy (Oculus Bundle), I had to take literally -all- the money in my wardrobe to buy Oculus Rift. I'm sorry for my "outburst" but I wanted to tell all the truth. I just wish to play the coolest games that will comes from Steam.

I wish to gently ask Facebook/Oculus developers to try active help Steam developers to make custom control scheme mapping for individual game relase on Steam, and not letting anymore do the job to the automatic (broke) conversion applied by OpenVR, please. Wikipedia say that OpenVR is a cooperation (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenVR), I hope to see this shine, please help.

BeastyBaiter
Superstar
It can result in strange button bindings though. Of course there is a very old solution to that problem, allow users to edit button assignments. I can't remember the first time I saw such a feature, possibly the first computer I ever used when I plugged in a joystick for the first time. But that's just a wild guess.

As I've said plenty of times here and elsewhere, the sooner all this stuff gets standardized in some way, the better. It has to get standardized before VR becomes truly mainstream.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Atmos73 said:

Oculus have been buying Devs and releasing exclusives from day one. Oculus are very proud of their exclusives like Lone Echo and Robo Recall they spend millions for them.

So now Steam has some great AAA titles coming from Bethesda and now Rockstar not to mention what Valve has up its sleeve.

Good times.

I do agree that having "Vive Exclusives" is Good Times (although since they are Steam games available for everyone it doesn't make much sense). However, you are the person who heatedly argued that exclusives are bad for VR:

"I feel Oculus's business model is fatally flawed. Even Steam has the sense to support the Rift because business is business."
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/36877/oculus-should-build-their-own-console-xbone-sup...

You have blatantly accused the "exclusive business model" as being responsible for fragmenting the PC VR Market.

How quickly you change your tune.

But the biggest disappointment is the fact
Oculus split from Valve and fragmented the PC VR market. It's not only
damaged the VR market by locking people out of certain HMD's but it's
damaged the PC market as a whole because more people will look at PC and
say why buy or upgrade an expensive PC and run two £800 headsets when I
can get a PSVR for £400 and don't have to worry about exclusives.

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/comment/451377/#Comment_451377

Looking on Steam last night and I see Adrift is on there which is a RIFT EXCLUSIVE. Nothing for Vive.

I guess its confirmation Steam supports the GAMER and not one HMD over the other.

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/comment/342537/#Comment_342537

you don't care about the other 90% of PC user's who actually don't want
20 different HDM's floating around
its just a logistical nightmare.

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/comment/392042/#Comment_392042

All it took was an old remastered VR Game to be marketed as the first real "AAA Vive Exclusive" for Atmos to perform an instant 180 on his year-long ideals. lol

I'm glad Vive has exclusives coming - even though their reliance on the very public Steam platform makes that very much an oxymoron. But all this over a Remastered Port? I mean really... just when I think that HTC can't set the bar any lower...

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

dan108 said:
I see/feel
people could count.

It's not an abandonment, it's simply HTC's attempt to have their users feel as special as Oculus makes Rift owners feel; to be perfectly honest. We have many exclusives: Chronos, The Climb, Dead & Buried, Robo Recall, The Unspoken, Lucky's Tale. And at least we have original exclusives that have a AAA feel. Vivarians are stuck with a Remastered Port as their first attempt with glory 😄

Vive users are forced to use a 3rd party app to play Oculus Exclusives (e.g. Revive). Thus, we can reasonably expect Rift owners to have to use similar 3rd party app's to play exclusives from other platforms.

No harm done. And in the end, it's good for competition. The market with respond with a game that can compete directly with L.A. Noire.

Dan1018
Adventurer

Zenbane said:

dan108 said:
I see/feel
people could count.

It's not an abandonment, it's simply HTC's attempt to have their users feel as special as Oculus makes Rift owners feel; to be perfectly honest. We have many exclusives: Chronos, The Climb, Dead & Buried, Robo Recall, The Unspoken, Lucky's Tale. And at least we have original exclusives that have a AAA feel. Vivarians are stuck with a Remastered Port as their first attempt with glory 😄

Vive users are forced to use a 3rd party app to play Oculus Exclusives (e.g. Revive). Thus, we can reasonably expect Rift owners to have to use similar 3rd party app's to play exclusives from other platforms.

No harm done. And in the end, it's good for competition. The market with respond with a game that can compete directly with L.A. Noire.

it's not because I repeat Vive owners can play Oculus exclusives with revive. so it's a problem that exist only here, for facebook/oculus customers. this problem doesn't even exist for vive customers.

Dan1018
Adventurer
the only way I see to exit from this situation are:

1) more cooperation from Oculus devs and OpenVR (Valve) developers to help having better control mapping scheme for each games. helping for example adding a feature such as the one suggested by @BeastyBaiter to "allow users to edit button assignments".

2) Help Revive to support Oculus Rift to work with Vive exclusives. You can read something here: https://www.roadtovr.com/revive-creator-joins-openxr-initiative-help-create-truly-open-vr-standard/

3) buy another device could help sleeping better.

OpticKing
Expert Trustee

dan108 said:

it's not because I repeat Vive owners can play Oculus exclusives with revive. so it's a problem that exist only here, for facebook/oculus customers. this problem doesn't even exist for vive customers.  
Alas, there is no problem, as others have previously stated, we can play anything/everything on steamvr with the rift. The only thing I'm aware of that even purposefully blocked the rift was Google Earth VR, BEFORE we had the touch controllers, as that was the only decent way coded to navigate. (it felt VERY wonky using keyboard for it) 

But that lasted less than 24 hours as someone uploaded a single file to drop in Google Earth VR directory and it allowed rift users to "look" like a vive so we could play it as well.

So really there is no issue here, when these games come to steam, we can play them as well on the rift, even if we need a mod to fix the controls for touch (as the touch thumbsticks have input different than the crappy wand pads) or a file to bypass an intentional block which probably wont even happen.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

dan108 said:

You might just have to be a little patient. Afteral, Revive wasn't available right at Launch. Vive users had to wait awhile before they could use Revive to play the Rift Exclusives. Plus, not all Oculus Exclusives were instantly available. It takes awhile.

Patience is the key to happiness.

Anonymous
Not applicable
And Bethesda a while back gave HTC grief for saying that Doom VFR and Fallout 4 were 'Vive exclusive' too. It's in a developer's or publisher's best interests to publish a game for as many platforms as possible, especially when publishing for VR. Unless they've had a moneyhat then Rockstar will bring LA Noire to both stores, or failing that will have two separate control schemes for the Rift and the Vive.

It's all about making money at the end of the day.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

snowdog said:

And Bethesda a while back gave HTC grief for saying that Doom VFR and Fallout 4 were 'Vive exclusive' too. It's in a developer's or publisher's best interests to publish a game for as many platforms as possible, especially when publishing for VR. Unless they've had a moneyhat then Rockstar will bring LA Noire to both stores, or failing that will have two separate control schemes for the Rift and the Vive.

It's all about making money at the end of the day.

Agreed. And the scenario seems to be the same. Rockstar is announcing that the HTC Vive is its current target. But they are not explicitly calling it an exclusive. They are also avoiding responding to the larger number of Sony's PSVR userbase who are asking for this game to have VR support for PlayStation. That crowd is screaming way more than the Rift crowd, some 10:1 ratio.

If Rockstar updates this Remastered Port to function on multiple platforms without the need for 3rd party tools, we will have the Sony PSVR userbase to thank.

But just as with Fallout 4, people are taking the "absence of information" as proof that L.A. Noire is an exclusive. Until we get something official that confirms exclusivity, then all that's happening is a repeat of the Fallout 4 debacle 😄