cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

game wise,is the VIVE the cool hip kid and the oculus the old guy?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I go onto YouTube or the steam store every now and then, and they always seem to have a plethora of cool interesting edgy indie type games and ideas I had no idea even existed and aren't in the oculus store and they seem to much cooler than the middle of the road mass audience fair we seem to be stuck with forever. I wonder if on the one hand if they are somehow getting exclusives faster for trying out before release or something.

I also think game makers need to stop focusing on creating full games where its clear they are trying to fly before the platform has learned to walk.....and work more on games that are more simple VR set ups
for instance....take that incredible T-rex demo where it walks up to you...well....why not have a simple game where its in a warehouse trying to get you? no full game just a simple set up and go run and hide as that thing is actively looking for you. or a hide and seek game in a large building with robots looking for you. no need for multiple levels, just give me a warehouse with a T-rex that's walking around looking to eat you.  in any case, I feel like the Hive is getting an edge because they are wilkling to pump out more experimental looking games.

24 REPLIES 24

Richooal
Consultant
I'm not a steam shopper, but from what I hear the main difference is that Oculus filter out most of the rubbish. This means Steam has it instead.
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

BeastyBaiter
Superstar
Steam lets anyone who can pay a $100 fee sell their games. That's why they get basically every game or game like thing ever made offered there regardless of how good or terrible it is. The advantage is they have everything, the disadvantage is they have EVERYTHING. 

As for smaller, more experimental titles, you just described the vast majority of VR only games currently out. Due to financial risk for large professional developers, we mostly get small indie titles. Indie titles tend to be more experimental but given that they are indie, they also tend to lack quality, content and depth due to limited budgets and often questionable technical skill of the developers.

bigmike20vt
Visionary

I also think game makers need to stop focusing on creating full games where its clear they are trying to fly before the platform has learned to walk...

well i think you just summed up most of the crud on steam full stop (not just VR).

now dont get me wrong, in principle i agree with you, and it is EXACTLY what devs were doing with the DK1 and DK2 in 2013 - 2015.

the thing is, all this stuff was FREE..... and then once the devs had a handle on it, much of it was then made into a proper game and released for a fee.... for instance dreadhalls or crystal rift.

The issue with steam, and this is in general and not just a VR problem, now what you get is that "experiemental inexperienced  stuff" which is cool when fan made and free,  but i must say, once i pay cash, even if its only 3 or 4 quid, there is a base line expectation of quality. In steam this level is often not there.... oculus home on the other hand had much less of the crap.

sure some of the stuff is short, but that is ok if only paying a few quid, but its a complete game or experience and works properly

This is one of the things which oculus have done which they get little credit for imo. because the DK1 and DK2 was released to everyone, even the budding bedroom devs, it meant they all got to get coding VR stuff really early doors, showcasing their stuff for free (there was heaps of stuff on oculus share back in the day), which meant that when the consumer version came out many were able to launch fairly high quality titles very quickly.
OTOH early vive dev kits were more like hens teeth (but sure afaik they were free if you were deemed one of the special few), where as the rifts were sold at, or close to cost price.

TLDR..... short unfinished experiences are fine if its a free demo, but i cant disagree with you more if you are talking about paid content.... If a dev is learning about VR and the stuff they are making is unfinished, or doesn’t work properly then it should not be charged for. This is the main reason why oculus home trumps steam for VR imo.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

flexy123
Superstar
Not sure if satire or not.

The "plethora of cool interesting edgy indie type games" you mention BY AT LARGE are low-quality titles or asset flips. I am not saying you can find the one or the other innovative VR title on Steam, but 75% on there is all about quantity and very little quality.

>>
I also think game makers need to stop focusing on creating full games
>>

Uhm..absolutely not. As said, you can go on Steam and choose from 100s of your " edgy indy style" titles if this is your thing. What VR needs is not another 100s of low quality asset flips churned out in China, but actual AA titles. Not unfinished "early tech demos" where people even have the audacity to charge money for beta-testing them. (This is how this often looks to me on Steam)

The Oculus store in one year I think has managed to set itself apart as the DE FACTO place for actual high quality VR titles, unlike Steam. And this is actually a good thing, not a bad thing! And Indy devs *can* actually put their titles on Oculus store as well. There is a section for these titles also on Oculus store.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Not sure if serious lol

falken76
Expert Consultant

I go onto YouTube or the steam store every now and then, and they always seem to have a plethora of cool interesting edgy indie type games and ideas I had no idea even existed and aren't in the oculus store and they seem to much cooler than the middle of the road mass audience fair we seem to be stuck with forever. I wonder if on the one hand if they are somehow getting exclusives faster for trying out before release or something.

I also think game makers need to stop focusing on creating full games where its clear they are trying to fly before the platform has learned to walk.....and work more on games that are more simple VR set ups
for instance....take that incredible T-rex demo where it walks up to you...well....why not have a simple game where its in a warehouse trying to get you? no full game just a simple set up and go run and hide as that thing is actively looking for you. or a hide and seek game in a large building with robots looking for you. no need for multiple levels, just give me a warehouse with a T-rex that's walking around looking to eat you.  in any case, I feel like the Hive is getting an edge because they are wilkling to pump out more experimental looking games.

I like Steam, I've used them for years.  But the reason they have so much more is because they have no standards.  Anyone can post a game there.

How much would you be willing to pay for a tech demo where you run and hide from a T-rex in a warehouse?  Devs want to make money also, that "experience" doesn't sound like anyone would "pay" for it so why waste the time making it?

Anonymous
Not applicable
This has to be a troll thread, either that or the OP needs serious psychological help lmfao  😄

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Game wise, Vive is the cool hip kid hipster doofus, and the Oculus Rift is the old refined, sophisticated guy.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959