cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Official list of CPU's, please?????

Spillmypint
Explorer
Hi there,

I've scoured the internet and only found listings dated about 2016 of CPU that will run Oculus Rift.
Any posts since then are people complaining about their CPU is up to the mark or even surpass very comfortably - yet still won't install the software.

Surely a copy and paste from the inner workings of the Oculus software, the list which it checks against to which CPU will do the deed  can be done?????

It seems that the specifications are hinted at, but not clearly defined.  Surely this day and age, it can be clearly defined?

Regards
Mark
19 REPLIES 19

Spillmypint
Explorer
Just struck incredibly lucky, just travelled 7 hours round trip, £50 in fuel and picked up a HTC Vive for £200, with the two controllers and the two sensors, included in the mega-deal of the century was a pair or stands for the sensors and a super long HDMI cable.  

So, i guess that's it Oculus.  So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Richooal
Consultant

Just struck incredibly lucky, just travelled 7 hours round trip, £50 in fuel and picked up a HTC Vive for £200, with the two controllers and the two sensors, included in the mega-deal of the century was a pair or stands for the sensors and a super long HDMI cable.  

So, i guess that's it Oculus.  So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Oh well, 2nd is better than last. 😛
Enjoy your Vive.
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

Rob_In_Phoenix
Rising Star
Can someone clarify if Oculus won't actually install onto a system if a cpu isn't on the list?  I have a 6 core I7-3960X which wasn't on the original supported CPU list but needless to say VR runs easily on it.  Oculus software installed straight away with no issue.

BeastyBaiter
Superstar
From what I have heard, if your hardware isn't officially supported, everything will still work but you will get a warning message every time you start OH. You have the option of ignoring that message and continuing.

Rob_In_Phoenix
Rising Star
@BeastyBaiter The OP is claiming people can't install the Oculus software because of their CPU.  I find this hard to believe as I didn't have any issue at all and my CPU wasn't on the accepted list at the time of install.

I did see that stupid banner in Oculus Home about my system not meeting requirements because of my CPU, I've always ignored it.

falken76
Expert Consultant

Can someone clarify if Oculus won't actually install onto a system if a cpu isn't on the list?  I have a 6 core I7-3960X which wasn't on the original supported CPU list but needless to say VR runs easily on it.  Oculus software installed straight away with no issue.

I have an I7 2600k, it was not on the list and everything works on it.  The nag message saying the CPU isn't supported is no longer on the screen either.

Boneboys
Protege
i5 2500k (3.3ghz) oc'd and running at 4.2
Oculus software installed without problem (April).
Performance warning no longer shows, since 1.17 (or there abouts).

Get a Grasp, get a Grip, get Rifting.

Spillmypint
Explorer
I think the option to install the software has been removed if your machine doesn't meet the specs .....  Here is a picture of my results.  I couldnt see a part where it says, install software. rpnnbi8aa3bw.png

cybereality
Grand Champion
You can always download the software here:
https://www.oculus.com/setup/
The only times it won't install is if your CPU or other components are so old to not be even compatible at all (for example if certain CPU instruction sets are not available on your chip or a really old video card that can't use the latest drivers, etc.) 
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Spillmypint
Explorer

You can always download the software here:
https://www.oculus.com/setup/
The only times it won't install is if your CPU or other components are so old to not be even compatible at all (for example if certain CPU instruction sets are not available on your chip or a really old video card that can't use the latest drivers, etc.) 

Cheers for the response.  I couldn't for the life of me find where this was.  It was insisting i do the compatibility check.  If i had seen this before i had gotten the Vive i would of been happy to save up for the rift.  Maybe in the future, when the next generation comes out, i can sell the vive and spend the money upgrading.  I did get a real good deal on the Vive, so shouldn't lose as much as most when the time comes.