cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Reason I haven't played in a while...too much equipment and cables

nerdVRBuddy
Protege
Yup That's the reason i haven't played my oculus in a while. There's too much equipment and stuff to  connect. How do you guys do it?
35 REPLIES 35

nangu
Expert Protege
I don't have spiders and/or cockroaches but I have some strange bugs, known as "kids", roaring, moaning and crashing things in my home so every time I want to use my rift I have to unpack everything and repack again when finished 😞

So yes, I undertand OP, it's a pain in the f.... a.....

Marlark
Honored Guest
I also have those "kids" with way to long fingers. My solution was to put a gate on the door into the room where i have my emm "toys". However it created a dif type of problem. Now i have a kid standing there humming constantly to get attention 😉

Siilk
Adventurer
Well, you can get an external PCI-E port(something like this), plug a USB controller into it, connect all the oculus & sensor cables into it. Then it will be a one-plug thing, i.e. connecting the PCI-E holder to PC. Not sure if this setup is viable but theoretically it can work. Bandwidth should not be a problem as there are PCI-E adapters which can be used to house a GPU externally(to use with laptops for instance) but the whole system will be quite fiddly so I'm not sure rift itself would like being plugged in like that.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
My car has lots of parts and cables as well, but I still drive it. Invest in some Pest Control.

Siilk
Adventurer

Zenbane said:

My car has lots of parts and cables as well, but I still drive it. Invest in some Pest Control.

To be fair, you don't disassemble your car every time you're done driving. A horse-driven cart would've been a better example: you have to harness the horse each time you ride somewhere and unharness it when you're back. But yeah, people were doing that for ages and it certainly seems like much more work than plugging in 4 USB connectors.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Siilk said:

Zenbane said:

To be fair, you don't disassemble your car every time you're done driving.

I don't disassemble my Rift every time I'm done Rifting either. I get that there's a pest control issue, hence my second statement.

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
Careful you might just find more then you expect.

omd05nxnlhsg.jpg
And on that Note F those things F them with FIRE!
Camel Spiders are on my top five reasons why I hate the Middle East.
WAAAGH!

cybereality
Grand Champion
That's straight out of Alien.

Who needs Alien Isolation in VR when you can just get one those and let it loose in your house?
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

cybernettr
Superstar

Well i would leave the headset outside but since we have cockroaches and stuff, i run the risk of putting on a headset full of critters, even spiderwebs. So i always have to roll the cable and put the rift back in the box or in a backpack i have

I hear this stuff works wonders:

xvliyxa1ycqz.jpg

MowTin
Expert Trustee

Well i would leave the headset outside but since we have cockroaches and stuff, i run the risk of putting on a headset full of critters, even spiderwebs. So i always have to roll the cable and put the rift back in the box or in a backpack i have

Just kill the roaches. Use this and you'll never see another roach again. I'm serious. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQkZVmu8sdM

i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2