cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poll: Did you had the bad "Mura effect" with the new Summer's Sales Oculus Bundle or D1 Edition?

Dan1018
Adventurer
Someone say that compared to the firsts units of Oculus Rift CV1 the newest (the ones we have found in the new summer bundle, with the new padding foam) can have more chances to find the ugly Mura effect. This effect can be seen only in very dark scenes, and for someone is green, for others is white.
Please tell in this poll if you had this problem (or if you hadn't the Mura, it's important to say it anyway for balanced results).

Poll: https://strawpoll.com/ww8xgc7b

I add some pictures, I try to show it.
Those pictures has been drawn (so it's not the real thing it's just a ""simulation"")

This one is real, found searching from google image, it's not easy to capture (image credits @flexy123 on the Oculus forum).
jq8d1we0ria9.jpg

41 REPLIES 41

Sharpfish
Heroic Explorer
I bought in summer sale but had the OLD SKU (with old facial interface/box/gamepad/remote). Have had no noticeable issues with mura or colour banding (or red tint). The summer sales bundle may confuse some, as there were mixed skus in it. So probably better to say new "all in one" SKU with new face gasket or something.

I'm still trying to find out how much better the new face padding is and why? can you say?

EX DK2/VIVE/PSVR/CV1/Q2/PSVR2 | Currently Quest Pro (PCVR) | VR developer
RTX 3080 FE / 12900k / Windows 11 Pro

Dan1018
Adventurer

People please note that not all the summer's sale unit had the new SKU (the new bundle): some units
sold during this summer had the OLD SKU (the bundle that include xbox gamepad, remote...), if you are in
that case at the poll vote "Oculus Rift Day One Edition" please.

@Sharpfish thanks for your advice.
Reguarding your question in my humble opinion the new padding foam is not confortable if the strap is tight (I like it tight). I feel a pain on the top of the eyebrown when I wear the Oculus Rift (only if tight). The pain starts to appear after 30/40 minutes of gameplay. At that point I start to have the feeling that the padding foam is too light, and I can distingue and feel clearly the hard plasting behind the foam (that's the origin the pain). If I feel pain I can continue to play only if I loosen the strap, then the pain calm down. In my opinion between the hard plastic and the light padding foam they should a middle layer (a densest material).

Dan1018
Adventurer
please vote! :smile:
https://strawpoll.com/ww8xgc7b

actually we had 61 votes (click "View Results" on that link to see the percentage), the results speak for themselves.... what do you think? I wrote on twitter to some Oculus CEO to fix this production defect before the next big units shipping. I hope they will act to resolve it. Thank you so much for watching.

Scyto
Explorer
please add a +1 to the vote as i have the issue - way worse than the simulated screens at top, i sent my unit back to amazon today, i am no longer a customer - which is a shame because everything else was awesome.  MURA and the lack of seriousness when i emailed support led me to return it.  I am going to wait and see what happens in next 12 mo of market changes. 

Scyto
Explorer
Oh and based on the reddit threads this is NOT a production issue it is purely a software issue - thats why using the usespud=0 makes the issue go away.

Dan1018
Adventurer

Scyto said:

please add a +1 to the vote as i have the issue - way worse than the simulated screens at top, i sent my unit back to amazon today, i am no longer a customer - which is a shame because everything else was awesome.  MURA and the lack of seriousness when i emailed support led me to return it.  I am going to wait and see what happens in next 12 mo of market changes. 

I did the same, I sent it back to amazon for a refound. I wish to buy it again without mura.
The hack that you decribe seems to partially solve the problem, it hide the mura effect but (tell me if I'm wrong please) it should generate other problems such introduced black smearas. But I didn't tried the hack, I sent it back to amazon directly.
I wish to buy it again....... but the poll say that the major part of the new SKU are defective. If anyone can suggest to me anything I would be really grateful.

edit.

or if Oculus could provide us a calibration tool to fix (or partially fix) the Mura DIY.

edit.

I bought again it, hope.
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/57630/can-you-help-me-to-decide-please#latest

OriginalSnake
Explorer

Scyto said:

Oh and based on the reddit threads this is NOT a production issue it is purely a software issue - thats why using the usespud=0 makes the issue go away.
I ordered the Rift in the summer sale and had the Green Mura effect pretty bad on both lenses it was really distracting especially in dark scenes as the it would be all you could see being the closest thing to focus on. This was the new SKU with the softer padding The Mura was quite uniform on both lenses and worse at the bottom as it was like banding across from left to right.

I finally got support to agree to RMA it and they sent me out a new unit... Looks like an older SKU as it had the thicker foam.. But alas this unit was also defective and felt even worse as the Mura was mainly in the right lens which produced a horrible feeling of the right eye being out of focus. The new unit also has a red line across the top of the display when using a DVI to HDMI adapter this did not happen on the first one.

I have submitted another ticket and now back in the process of trying to get another RMA sorted.. I'm new to VR and so far my experience has been awful and I'm wishing I didn't bother.

I tried the SPUD Tool to which does take it away but instead I have messed up colours and black levels. Resulting in red' ish grey and washed out blacks God rays are worse on this unit too.

ommr26uwbbn5.jpgfy96wuqzkege.jpgxhr78zlf8cvg.jpg51od10w0nw5x.jpg9za0ayuonbo6.jpgd22naqq07gi1.jpg

flexy123
Superstar
I think a number of people would appreciate an official statement by Oculus in regards to this issue.
In particular, whether those who submitted a ticket in regards to this can expect a possible software fix...or whether the fix would be getting an "ok" unit in exchange.

As for me, I am doing "quite well" with Spud off, although I don't have a reference how things are supposed to look with Spud, in particular black levels.

Agent_34
Explorer
I bought my rift during the summer sale, I did not get a game pad,
and I have had no problems with Mura effect.