cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compositor Frame Drops Every Second (Stuttering in Headset)

OwynC
Sightseer
Hey Oculus Forums, I recently started getting stuttering in my rift. It happens every second like clockwork and is displayed as dropped compositor frames in the debugger. 

Here's a link to a similar issue.

l7wpebe7d267.jpg

c3xm0fbomq5w.jpg

I have a i5-4460 8GB of ram, a GTX 1070 and Windows 10 64bit. Although the CPU is not up to minimum system spec I haven't had any issues so far and have had my rift since this May. I'm currently running Oculus Home 1.9 and Nvidia Driver 375.70

Any help would be appreciated, I believe the issue may be related to either the recent Oculus 1.9 update or the latest Nvidia driver update.

Edit: I rolled back my drivers to 368.81 and nothing changed. 

Edit2: I completely reset Windows, formatting the drive and removing all software. I reinstalled Oculus Home and a couple VR of games to test. I still got compositor frame drops from the default automatic Windows installed drivers. I then downloaded Geforce Experience and updated all my drivers to the latest. I still get the compositor frame drops. This is probably an issue with oculus home 1.9.

Edit3: I enabled ASW and still get the compositor frame drops.
28 REPLIES 28

cybereality
Grand Champion
Can you upload the LogGatherer zip file?
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/33792/how-to-get-logs-for-bug-reports-for-consumer-ri...
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

GATOxVoS
Heroic Explorer
So... just to be sure. You guys don't have anything polling your hardware do you? Things like:

MSI Afterburner (or any information-type software that would update graphs once per second)
Specialty Mouse Software (I had previously run into problems with my mouse software and 3d games stuttering. It was due to the fact that the software was trying to improve mouse accuracy by polling the mouse much more frequently than normal)

Just something that came to mind, that could fix some people's issues, but probably isn't the main culprit.

PC Specs:
Intel i7-6700k @ 4.5 Ghz
Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3 Motherboard
RTX 2080 Ti - MSI VENTUS
16 GB CAS-10 RAM @ 2400 MHz
Startech 4-port/4-USB controller add-on card
850W Corsair HX850 PSU
4-Sensor, Roomscale Setup

PayneSculptures
Explorer
Cyberreality! Yes I can. Here is the log: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5JRSXt_gW5tM2I5Z3k2MDNWaVU

PayneSculptures
Explorer

Nasilous said:

I managed to fix this by changing my primary monitor from dvi to displayport. I can't explain it, but I dropped out of college.

"Nasilous" - OH. MY. GOD.... YOU SOLVED MY PROBLEM. Your comment is literally the only one that I found that suggested it could be the DVI - HDMI adapter. It honestly didn't feel like that was the issue and your deadpan delivery caused me to avoid trying it out. Then I bit the bullet and bought the adapter and low and behold! It WORKS. No more need to USB balance either. I can use my touch sensors on my USB 3.0 ports. EUREKA!!! Does anyone know why a DVI  to HDMI adapter (vs a Displayport to HDMI adapter) seems to cause frame drops on the GTX970??? This totally vindicates my original theory that this was an Nvidia problem btw. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

cybereality
Grand Champion
Strange. I was not aware of this but that's an interesting thing to consider for troubleshooting.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

lizdo
Honored Guest
I got a similar problem where compositor was dropping 1 frame per second. After trial and error I found the culprit to be f.lux.

rdalcroft
Honored Guest
just a thought are you using the oculus tray utility, and do u have it set to super sampling e.g. 1.5.  and if you also have SS set in game then this doubles up. so make sure you either use one or the other.

No.41
Honored Guest
Just to let you know: as soon as I stopped Afterburner the dropping of frames stopped. In oculus debug tool "compositor render timing" you can clearly see spikes that are directly correlated to the intervall configured in Afterbuner via Settings | Monitoring | Hardware Polling period (normally 1s).

Geforce GTX 1070 |Nvidia Driver 388.13 |Afterburner 4.4.0 Beta 18

Captain_HooBa
Honored Guest
I've been struggling with micro-stutter and dropped frames. Finally found the cause to be the DVI display connection ion my GTX 1070Ti. It used to work just fine and some update along the way introduced this.