cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xbox One Controller Disconnects when in game / Elite Dangerous Rift version

Karmazyn
Honored Guest
Hello Oculus Friends,

After last update, every time I launch Elite Dangerous Commanders Editions (Rift version), from Oculus Home with my Xbox One Controller connected it disconnects after 15, 20 sometimes 40 minutes of gaming. I did not have this problem before the update. 
Restarting application or PC is not helping. I did this 4 times yesterday (restart application) and failed mission because of it and almost crashed my ship. So frustrating and immersion breaking bug? Controller is wireless and is working as usual outside Rift environment.

Any ideas how to fix this issue, is someone working on the fix? Please help !
14 REPLIES 14

FrontierSupport
Adventurer
Hi Karmazyn,

Please send us a ticket as we'll need to work with you in order to figure out what's going on here - and what the solution is. 🙂

CMDR Tronador
Frontier Customer Support Team

svantegr
Explorer
I have the same problem. As soon as I close the Oculus app controller returns to normal behaviour. Tried "everyting else". Now installing Elite through Steam instead hoping that at least I can play desktop version with my controller instead of VR. 😞

FrontierSupport
Adventurer
Hey Svantegr,

I'm unsure if we ever discovered what was causing this but have you tried changing which USB ports you use, or unplugging unnecessary USB devices? It sounds like there may be a power issue causing the controller to detach when too many other devices start. If you have a powered USB hub it would be good to test using that instead.

Consider also sending us a ticket as well, if you do still need further assistance 🙂 

-CMDR Vanguard

svantegr
Explorer
As said...I've tried "everything else"...also your suggestions. 🙂 Found threads about this going back to 2016...with a lot of good suggestions. None really work. A bit sceptical to the power issue....in order to try to fix the problem I have recently moved the wireless dongle to a powered USB hub...with it's own power supply. That didn't help either. The only thing that really works is to close the oculus app and start it again (but then you have to restart the game as well...quite annoying). Also I have now tried it with the VR-version on steam (but of course...the oculus app starts up there as well)....that worked until I left the game running for a while so that the xbox controller powered off by itself. Trying to turn it on again the same thing happened as before. Interestingly enough none of this happens if I run the steam version of Elite in desktop mode (only desktop mode through Oculus Home needs to have the oculus app running). So it really seems that this is an Oculus Home issue...not windows, not elite, not steam....but Oculus Home. Sorry. 🙂 Hoping you can fix it...I LOVE Elite Dangerous on the Oculus Rift...but obviously not so much without a controller. 😉

FrontierSupport
Adventurer
Ah that's a shame, I do apologise that we weren't able to help here. Over to Oculus for further assistance then! Good luck 🙂

-CMDR Vanguard

svantegr
Explorer
Will be interesting to see if Oculus reads their own forum then. 🙂 

FrontierSupport
Adventurer
I wonder if this works (sorry cyber) @cybereality

cybereality
Grand Champion
Yes, that does work.  😉

I'm not sure about this issue. There were some problems initially (especially around the Win 10 Anniversary Update) but it appeared that either later Windows updates or updating firmware on the Xbox controller (via Xbox Accessories app) mostly resolved the issue. If this is still happening, please contact us:
https://support.oculus.com/
You can also upload you LogGatherer zip file here and I can take a look. Thanks.
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/33792/how-to-get-logs-for-bug-reports-for-consumer-ri...
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

svantegr
Explorer
Ok. Thanks for replying @cybereality.

Since last time I have done a bit more research and figured out that this only happens to my controller if Oculus Home is running (Elite Dangerous really has nothing to do with it).

I can reproduce this every time now by doing the following:

Turn on xbox controller with oculus home running or before starting oculus home. Then: While running Oculus Home I either turn the controller off manually (hold center button for 5 secs) or let it go to sleep by itself. When I try to turn it on again it comes on for a second and then turns off by itself (as described above). If I CLOSE Oculus Home before turning it back on....then it turns on just as it should. So it really sounds "very" Oculus Home related this bug. I added this entry for completeness. I will do as you ask and report it on support.oculus.com and try to get you that log as well.