cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Go - Little more than a Mobile phone VR Enclosure

Anonymous
Not applicable
So Facebook Announces Oculus Go at $199...

But without positional tracking and hand pressence this is a huge step backwards in my opinion. I mean sure we all know that the future of VR will be stand alone decives no larger than a pair of glasses or contacts... 

But thats 10 year out and this is much like the CV1 trying to do too much and not excelling in any specific area. 

Don't get me wrong the CV1 is good... but its a first generation consumer piece of kit... we will all look back at it and wonder how we put up with it much in the way we did when we went from dk2 to CV1... 

But why do we need Oculus Go??  I am struggling to see who this is aimed at?

What are your thoughts on it? 

41 REPLIES 41

anthonsh
Protege

anthonsh said:

CrashFu said:

*cough*  Well, the Samsung Gear VR is already the highest-selling VR device on the market by a very wide margin, and yet even that device's market has been limited to people who are willing and able to shell out $600 or more for a phone (and possibly another $100 if they didn't get Gear VR as a free promotion with said phone)

This is a device that costs only $200 total, a tiny fraction of what ANY other decent VR system costs, and is also a better and more refined product in every way.  Also it won't eat up your phone's batteries and (presumably) won't cook your face while you're using it.

So I'd say it's aimed at a whole heck of a lot of people. :tongue:

****, I'm probably going to get one, myself.

If I can keep my paid Gear VR apps (Minecraft... etc) then a new daydream and phone isnt a consideration. 

Oh damn i'd forgotten about my Gear VR apps - i've had 2 Gear VRs but sold them to pay for the Rift.

Yep, we need to know this, but i'm pretty sure all your Gear VR content will transfer over.

Yeah, Im sure they will try to make this work because it also floods their content library. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Didn't they confirm that it will run GearVR software..? Or was that the Santa Cruz..?

snowdog said:

Didn't they confirm that it will run GearVR software..? Or was that the Santa Cruz..?

Yeah, just watching the presentation now.  "We're bringing the best of our library from Gear VR across on day one."  

Does he just mean some of it?  Is the library not fully compatible?
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

anthonsh
Protege

snowdog said:

Yeah, just watching the presentation now.  "We're bringing the best of our library from Gear VR across on day one."  

Does he just mean some of it?  Is the library not fully compatible?

And will my purchses carry over?

Maybe no "samsung" apps. 

Maybe they need to be resubmitted or tweaked a little bit. Maybe they want to weed out the crap with a higher standard. 

I want Minecraft, Amaze, cross platform compatibility with Oculus Rooms...  Etc. (Rush, Vendetta Online, Augmented Empire, The Well...  Haha)

kzintzi
Trustee

CrashFu said:

*cough*  Well, the Samsung Gear VR is already the highest-selling VR device on the market by a very wide margin, and yet even that device's market has been limited to people who are willing and able to shell out $600 or more for a phone (and possibly another $100 if they didn't get Gear VR as a free promotion with said phone)

This is a device that costs only $200 total, a tiny fraction of what ANY other decent VR system costs, and is also a better and more refined product in every way.  Also it won't eat up your phone's batteries and (presumably) won't cook your face while you're using it.

So I'd say it's aimed at a whole heck of a lot of people. :tongue:

****, I'm probably going to get one, myself.

I know I'll be getting one - maybe even two since my boys are Rift nuts and keep wanting to use mine.
Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.

Sax-a-boom
Rising Star
With the higher resolution panels, this could be a great solution for a quick pull on access to multi screen desktop working.

cybereality
Grand Champion
I'm just excited to finally buy my whole family VR headsets. The price helps, but mostly I could never see my dad, for instance, being able to handle a gaming desktop computer, and he's an iPhone user. So this is absolutely perfect for him and probably lots of other people with similar situations.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

KenSniper
Adventurer
So Oculus Go uses the gear vr apps, I already have a rift set and maybe want to get a ocu go for my wife, is there any cross platform games between gear vr and oculus store apps?

anthonsh
Protege

KenSniper said:

So Oculus Go uses the gear vr apps, I already have a rift set and maybe want to get a ocu go for my wife, is there any cross platform games between gear vr and oculus store apps?

AltSpace..  Maybe a couple others?

kojack
MVP
MVP
The apps that work could be dependent on what the actual specs are, how does it compare to a Galaxy phone?

At least now upgrading your phone won't affect things now. I have a Note 8, it doesn't fit in my GearVR so it's now a paperweight (the GearVR, not the Note 8).
Letting others try it will be less stressful when it's a $199 device rather than a $1500au device strapped to a plastic shell.

I don't like 3DOF Mobile VR, but so far I like the look of this more than GearVR.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2