cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift Wire Tangling Solution

aparsons671
Honored Guest
Using the Rift while standing and spinning around results in getting tangled in the 3ft USB, the power cord and the HDMI/DVI cable. That is the one drawback to it that I had to find a solution with. After a bit of thinking, I figured out that if the Rift included a slip-ring in the data cable from one end to the other, my solution would be fool proof, but it works well enough as it is.

Basically, I thought about VR arcades when I want to Disney and tried their Aladdin Carpet Ride VR experience, we were given a HEAVY headset that is slightly suspended from above. I figured that might be worth trying, so, my wife working at Wal-Mart brought home 2 Screw Eyes and 2 Spring-Loaded D-Rings. I put the Screw Eyes in the ceiling about the length that would suspend the Rift at head-height if I were 4'5' and I can use it at my height with some slack in the suspended wire which was about 2.5' apart. I took the D-Rings and clipped them through the screw eyes with the narrow part at the ceiling-side. I then clip the Rift cable into the D-Rings and tried it out. IT FRIGGIN WORKS LIKE A CHARM!!! The one thing I will improve upon is to make a clamp of some sort to hold the box to the ceiling and hold the cables up and relieve the stress from the cables that wants to pull them out of the sockets (velcro tie should work well).

Oh, and an extension cord to bring the power adapter closer to the box as well as a USB extension cable and a 9' HDMI cable was needed to get the various signals up to the box, but there are extension pieces you can buy for the power, HDMI and USB cables to ensure you have enough no matter what you need. I suppose you could also create a Hangman-type arm that would support the cabling as well instead of using your ceiling, but I have low ceilings and I'm somewhat tall, so height was a consideration.

As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words, here you go.

Aaron Parsons Developer of the FPS Revolution Site Under Development
19 REPLIES 19

morenosuba
Explorer
"aparsons671" wrote:
Using the Rift while standing and spinning around results in getting tangled

...dude you are the kind of guy i want at my parties :D.

i don't think i've even gotten out of my chair yet. and that you have is a pretty insane set up....that would be a riot explaining to people what those hooks in the ceiling are for...:D

TWhite
Explorer
Oh lord, seeing your poor Rift dangle there by the wire... feeling so many cringes from that.

I have thought of this exact setup in my head months ago, and one thing always bothered me: wouldn't the wires get taught from twisting over and over? Eventually causing damage?
CPU: i7 3770k 4.6Ghz GPU: EVGA GTX 780

drash
Heroic Explorer
Those are the things I'd be worried about too, TWhite. I've heard of that cable coming apart where it meets the Rift! Maybe if there were a way to strengthen it....
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

360FOV
Honored Guest
If this thing gets twisted around your neck and you trip it could be game over but in real life instead of the game. :lol:
“My ally is the Force. Life creates it, makes it grow. It’s energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we…not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you. Here, between you, me, the tree, the rock…everywhere!"

Anonymous
Not applicable
Nice work, another solution is get a solid microphone stand thats got a bit of weight to it 🙂 works a treat

aparsons671
Honored Guest
Well, yeah...As you spin around and around, the cable will twist and untwist with your spinning, but, as long as you take breaks once in a while and take the Rift off and untwist the wires, that shouldn't be a problem. Also, I was thinking of getting like a wire/string to attach to the Rift, run it through the hooks and put a weight on the other end that was a bit more than the Rift itself. That weight would essentially suspend the Rift without hanging on its own cord with it pulling on the cords at the side of the Rift headset.

aparsons671
Honored Guest
"360FOV" wrote:
If this thing gets twisted around your neck and you trip it could be game over but in real life instead of the game. :lol:

Those hooks are screwed into drywall with nothing else (no studs) holding them up, so if you put too much weight on the Rift, you'll either pull the cords out of the control box or Rift, but probably before that, you'll pull the hooks out of the ceiling, so hanging yourself wouldn't be possible. The hangman arch, though, if you weren't putting the hooks into the ceiling, would definately be a worry. At that point, you'd want to look into breakaway hooks that with a certain amount of force, they snap open releasing their payload. Magnetic things would NOT be a good idea as MAGNETS + ELECTRONIC DISPLAYS = PROBLEM.

PVS1
Explorer
i find your solution a bit extreme.

to each their own, of course.

aparsons671
Honored Guest
"PVS1" wrote:
i find your solution a bit extreme.

to each their own, of course.

When you see my project in time and how it acts with the Rift, you'll see why the tangling is a major problem with the Rift cables for me. I'm not sitting in a chair looking 45 degrees either side while using a mouse/keyboard to move. I'm using a wireless controller that I built and doing multiple 360s in both directions as I'm gaming.