/ Forums
New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Geforce or Quadro graphics?

reidbakerreidbaker Posts: 7
Virtual Boy (or Girl)
edited October 2015 in PC Development
I'm running a Quadro card at work with UE4 and wondering if the card is not the best choice for using with the Oculus Rift DK2 - it's a Quadro K4000.

Is there any line of thought on this? What if I switched to a GTX 770?

Comments

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 20,932 Oculus Staff
    From what I've heard, Geforce cards are better for gaming purposes.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    PowerColor RX 480 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • CgpnzCgpnz Posts: 455
    Is Quadro just another means for NVidia to milk the 'professional'?
    Usual play: a 20% performance increase for a 60% whack.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 20,932 Oculus Staff
    Quadros do have some benefits for professional work, but I've heard the drivers aren't optimized for gaming so you may even get worse performance playing games. However, you will pay a LOT more.

For example, the Quadro K6000 ($5,000) is not even as good as a GTX 970 ($300).

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    PowerColor RX 480 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • owenwpowenwp Posts: 641
    Art3mis
    Buying a Quadro for gaming is like buying a pickup truck for racing. The pickup probably has more horsepower but that doesn't make it faster. It is designed to do lots of number crunching and to draw high density CAD models, heavy lifting not speed, and definitely not optimal latency.
    Sanzaru - Programmer
  • Reidbaker, were you able to get your DK2 to work with the K4000 card? I am running a K5000 and haven't been able to get it to run with DK2 without crashing.
  • TestdroidTestdroid Posts: 2
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    edited March 20

Dear forum , a system I have available for the Oculus is  an Xeon Z800 work station with 2 quadro 6000 cards

My question is , will this be enough ore should I buy a GTX 1080?

• DuncanDuncan Posts: 10
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    Buying a Quadro for gaming is like buying a pickup truck for racing. The pickup probably has more horsepower but that doesn't make it faster. It is designed to do lots of number crunching and to draw high density CAD models, heavy lifting not speed, and definitely not optimal latency.
    I cannot speak for the drivers, but the Quadro hardware is actually faster than a matching GeForce. There are a number of memory bandwidth and DMA features that make the Quadros better.

Dear forum , a system I have available for the Oculus is  an Xeon Z800 work station with 2 quadro 6000 cards. My question is , will this be enough ore should I buy a GTX 1080?

In this case I would look into a GTX 1080. Quadro 6000s are nice but they are 2+ generations behind a GeForce 1080.

• TestdroidTestdroid Posts: 2
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    Duncan thank for your info