cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D audio status update ?

OlivierJT
Explorer
I am using Unreal Engine 4, and I've been waiting for 3D audio for years.
Audio is 50% of the experience and is crucial to SU. (it's a musical Universe)

I am happy that the new CB demo are on UE4 and with 3d audio, I look forward to test that (at CES ?)

Any update on the release of 3d audio for UE4 ?
Will it be for 4.7 ?
Will we need to license third party software like FMOD or Wwise to get 3D audio working ?
Any chance to have that before GDC ?

Thank you ! I know you are all working hard, hang in there !

Cheers,

Ol
6 REPLIES 6

Fredz
Explorer
Brian Hook of Oculus Announces the Licensing of RealSpace 3D Audio.

In the meantime you can download the RealSpace 3D plugin for Unity : http://realspace3daudio.com/developers/#plugindownload

Or try an open source alternative : https://github.com/Jawbone/OpenAL-MOB

Welby
Adventurer
I can't reply to all your questions but that's what i think:

- I think there aren't any update about the 3D audio on the UE4 (because there aren't any news about the 3D audio SDK at all)

- Don't know

- I don't think so. I think they're going to give to us for free the 3D audio SDK because they want it as "default" for the next Oculus rift experiences.

- Well..it's possible! We know that we're going to have it soon as Iribe stated some weeks ago,but we're really close to the GDC so probably they're going to announce it in there.

Hope that helps

OlivierJT
Explorer
Fredz.. come on... of course I know about the licensing of 3D realspace...

Unity plug in... don't you read post, I am not on Unity... nor I want to use an open source thingy... and waste time on that... ^_^
I am not asking for alternative I know what is coming, I just want a status update.
So in the meantime, well no ^_^
No thank you.

Thank you Welby ^O^
That doesn't help 😛

cybereality
Grand Champion
I've heard the audio SDK is coming soon, but I don't have a specific release date to announce.

I can try to find out about the other questions (UE4, licensing, etc.) next week.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

ajocular
Honored Guest
If you happen to use FMOD or Wwise, I think AstoundSound is wrapped into both of them last I checked. It's much more high res than most other 3D audio options, super easy to integrate, and it's the only one that works okay through speakers (still better through headphones though).

Fredz
Explorer
"OlivierJT" wrote:
Unity plug in... don't you read post, I am not on Unity...

I posted that since RealSpace 3D is only available as a Unity plugin.

As for integration with UE4, an Unreal Engine developer has posted this on their forum :

"The architecture of the UE4 audio system at current creates some significant challenges for integrating a plugin such as this, however, we have plans to begin resolving those issues in the New Year, so hopefully at some point plugins of this type will become available."

"OlivierJT" wrote:
nor I want to use an open source thingy... and waste time on that... ^_^

You said you've been waiting for 3D audio for years and that audio is 50% of the experience, that's why I mentioned OpenAL. It's open source but the project has been created by a gamedev company (Loki Software), was supported by Creative and Apple and has been implemented in several AAA games.

"OlivierJT" wrote:
I am not asking for alternative I know what is coming, I just want a status update.

Noted. I'll refrain from trying to answer your questions in the future.