/ Forums
New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

[WIP] GATE-D VR, a Japanese cyberpunk multi-stream narrative

msaijomsaijo Posts: 50
edited May 2015 in VR Jam
The GATE-D software being developed is a first person choose-your-own-adventure interactive narrative “Application/Experience” based classic cyberpunk novels and films from Japan and US. This collaboration is a “Team” effort between producers/programmers from Japan and visual artist/filmmakers from the US.

The concept is an abstract homage to film-noir cyberpunk history, a “mash-up” of pop cultural references with characters based on Ryu Murakami’s novel Coin Locker Babies, classic sci-fi anime AKIRA, Tetsuo the Ironman, underscored with quotes and themes from influential writers like William Burroughs, Jean Baudrillard, Philip K Dick, and other sci-fi writers.

The process is to film the narrative using live action 360-degree video with Japanese actors (dubbed in English) within the backdrop of surrealistic modern Japan. “Unity Engine” will be used to develop the software for interactive capabilities, to "choose your own adventure" and compositing visual effects using Adobe After Effects. Some of the characters are played by professional cosplay actors.

Comments

• This looks AWESOME! I am hyped! Can't wait to try! :DD
    Check out my 2013 VRJam finalist game: http://shinyvr.com/
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 21,389 Oculus Staff
    The name Datura was used by a PS3 game and is trademarked. Just FYI.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/datura-ps3/
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    PowerColor RX 480 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • JoyhypeJoyhype Posts: 40
    This is a very interesting concept! I'm really digging it because of the old school movie sci-fi vibe /appeal (Fifth Element, Mad Max, Dune, Total Recall).
    SaaS and Fullstack developer. Hobby Game developer.
    I do love the style and the concept. More cyberpunk is always a good thing.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    PowerColor RX 480 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • RyuMasterRyuMaster Posts: 24
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    HELL YEAH! I just love this genre so much, can't wait!
  • msaijomsaijo Posts: 50
    The name Datura was used by a PS3 game and is trademarked. Just FYI.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/datura-ps3/

Thanks Oculus Manager for letting us know about the trademark. We will come up with another solution.
    Can anyone see the photos on this post? If not, does anyone know how I can fix it so you can see the pics?
  • TwitchmonkeyTwitchmonkey Posts: 1,121
    Only members can view attachments if I recall correctly, if you want anyone to be able to see them you'll have to include them using the img tags, which can be found just above the main body of the post during post creation or editing. Just put the URL between the brackets and it should show up for everyone. Note that this does require you to upload the pictures to a file host first like tinypic or imageshack, and you'll need the direct link to the picture itself.
    Only members can view attachments if I recall correctly, if you want anyone to be able to see them you'll have to include them using the img tags, which can be found just above the main body of the post during post creation or editing. Just put the URL between the brackets and it should show up for everyone. Note that this does require you to upload the pictures to a file host first like tinypic or imageshack, and you'll need the direct link to the picture itself.

Thanks Twitch Monkey for the info.
  • TwitchmonkeyTwitchmonkey Posts: 1,121
    Very nice, I love practical effects and the gorier the better. Feels a lot like Tetsuo.
    Very nice, I love practical effects and the gorier the better. Feels a lot like Tetsuo.

Twitchmonkey, Actually, you're right on point! this character is Tetsuo, loosely based on the original character. thanks!
    msaijo wrote:
    Here are few more pics from behind the scenes...more to come!

Dang thats some rad makeup!!
    Here are few more pics from the production.
    The title DATURA is a working title and will be replaced shortly due to trade am issues.

Wow!
  • spinaljackspinaljack Posts: 347 Oculus Partner
    This looks amazing, regardless of what else happens in the Jam I hope this gets a full release!
    Thanks for your interest, support, and encouragement.

We've changed the title from DATURA to GATE-D due to trademark issues. Hope to stick with this one. Please let me know if there maybe be issues with GATE-D title.

Attached are couple of pics from yesterdays shoot. More to come...

Dang this is so cool! Looks like a labour of love. Awesome images btw. I'm super stoked on seeing what the outcome of this project is going to be like. I've never experienced a VR film / or interactive experience, so I can't wait to see how this turns out. :3
  • ThisisdanzoThisisdanzo Posts: 37
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    Yeah, this looks really cool, guys. Are you shooting in stereoscopic 360? Mono 360? How are you achieving the technical aspects? Stuff like this would really bring people to VR.
    Galaxy Grapple - GearVR, no gamepad
    Yeah, this looks really cool, guys. Are you shooting in stereoscopic 360? Mono 360? How are you achieving the technical aspects? Stuff like this would really bring people to VR.

Thanks thisisdanzo. we aren't shooting stereoscopic, using go-pro cluster, few different mounts, after-effects, unity, and practical effects as much as we can. basically whatever we can get our hands on, including existing locations, professional and non professional talent resources since we are completely independent.

I'm from LA, found a lot of great talent in Japan, built an awesome team, weird locations, and lots of enthusiasm which makes the perfect recipe for creativity, and achieve beyond anything I could have ever imagined. I just hope that some of this energy and magic thats taking place in reality can be transferred through the virtual experience.
    Have you tried this camera?

https://theta360.com/uk/

It does 360 video and doesn't have all the stitching anomalies that you get from some camera clusters. Also has built in wifi so no fiddling around with memory cards.

£244 I think which is not bad.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_nos ... lectronics

John Carmack mentioned it on his Mobile VR talk and said it created very good results.
    edited April 2015
    I went to train station in Tokyo to research Salary Men lifestyle and environments, took some pics, and was amazed at how efficient and automated this society is and how close we are to becoming spiritual machines, if not already.

• HomerS66HomerS66 Posts: 1,365
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    spinaljack wrote:
    Have you tried this camera?

https://theta360.com/uk/

It does 360 video and doesn't have all the stitching anomalies that you get from some camera clusters. Also has built in wifi so no fiddling around with memory cards.

£244 I think which is not bad.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_nos ... lectronics

John Carmack mentioned it on his Mobile VR talk and said it created very good results.

360 photos are ok, not great but ok and easy to make, but video is a bit to lowres tho.
    how do you storyboard 360 video? I thought that the best solution maybe to do draw a panoramic image, break it up into three parts, with 1/3, 2/3 golden rule. with main focus in the center and peripheral content on the side, like environment. It ended up nothing like the storyboard drawings, but was a good enough departure point to start with to organize visual story content.

Cool storyboards, I imagine 3D audio will play a big part in this film to draw the viewer's attention to things happening.
  • KominAaaKominAaa Posts: 135
    I'm amazed at the level of detail you put into this :)
    Hi! Check our VRJam2015 entry SteamCrew VR, Our VR Game
    Shufflepuck Cantina Deluxe VR and our VRJam2013 entry EpicDragon VR!
    Follow us on Facebook!

“The conceptualization involved in cyberpunk is more of forging ahead, looking at the new global culture. It is a culture that does not exist right now, so the Japanese concept of a cyberpunk future, seems just as valid as a Western one, especially as Western cyberpunk often incorporates many Japanese elements.”[38] William Gibson is now a frequent visitor to Japan, and he came to see that many of his visions of Japan have become a reality:

Modern Japan simply was cyberpunk. The Japanese themselves knew it and delighted in it. I remember my first glimpse of Shibuya, when one of the young Tokyo journalists who had taken me there, his face drenched with the light of a thousand media-suns—all that towering, animated crawl of commercial information—said, "You see? You see? It is Blade Runner town." And it was. It so evidently was.[39]
  • riftopiariftopia Posts: 7
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    This looks totally awesome and could be the start of something great! I hope it will appeal to both international and Japanese audiences. One thing I didn't get was the cables in the first pic with the lady and the gear vr, but I guess that will become clear once the demo is available. ^_^
  • LhunLhun Posts: 187
    this... is so incredibly good.

I can't wait.

Since you're using unity in part are you also going to release for the dk2?
    Lhun wrote:
    this... is so incredibly good.

I can't wait.

Since you're using unity in part are you also going to release for the dk2?

Thanks for the support Lhun! Yes, we do plan on releasing this for the dk2.