cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing IPD for scaling the OVRCamera

ezRocket
Explorer
Scaling the OVRPlayerController and OVRCameraRig don't seem to actually scale your view of the world.

As an example, I'm trying to scale the player down to the size of about a tennis ball but it just makes your head seem like it's on the floor instead of actually giving you the feeling of being shrunk.

Would changing the IPD a tiny bit after being shrunk help with the size perception?

If so, where do you change the IPD? I've tried changing the ipd in OVRProfile and OVRPlugin but that didn't work.

Using Unity 5.2.0f3 and 0.1.0-beta utilities.
13 REPLIES 13

wheatgrinder
Explorer
try placing your un-scaled camera and player objects inside an empty game object. Then scale the empty object.

I scale the game object containing my camera\player by 50x! The rest of the game is 1:1 scale. It feels like your a normal sized person and the world is tiny.

ezRocket
Explorer
I've tried that, it doesn't work for me.

It causes the player to move infinitely and with insane speed in the direction you press.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Don't use an empty. Just change the scale on the OVRPlayerController. You may need to also lower Step Offset on the Character Controller if you're not able to move. I believe that should scale the IPD as well.

agamer
Honored Guest
Does this work with OVRCameraRig still while using utilities?

Changing it in the inspector seems to have no effect on perspective in build; changing localscale value in script applies the correct values to the XYZ of the scale correctly, but still seems to have no effect on the perspective.

Unity 5.2.1f1 + OculusUtilities_0_1_2_beta building to Android/GearVR.

ezRocket
Explorer
"agamer" wrote:
Does this work with OVRCameraRig still while using utilities?

Changing it in the inspector seems to have no effect on perspective in build; changing localscale value in script applies the correct values to the XYZ of the scale correctly, but still seems to have no effect on the perspective.

Unity 5.2.1f1 + OculusUtilities_0_1_2_beta building to Android/GearVR.

That's how I was using it, with utilities.

You're right that it doesn't change the perspective, I find that interesting. I tried a scene out and set the CenterEyeAnchor (of the OVRPlayerController) scale to 40 in the Inspector. It didn't really seem like the surrounding had gotten smaller or closer.

Have to change the OVRCameraRig to see any changes. Naturally, it's super buggy if you do it to the OVRCameraRig within OVRPlayerController.

At this point I think it would probably be easier to make my own Player Controller as changing the scale of the OVRCameraRig component also changes the scale of your head movements.

cybereality
Grand Champion
I just tried it, and it seems to work fine with the OVRPlayerController.

I scaled the Transform to 0.1 and also set Step Offset on Character Controller to 0.03. Seems fine.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Nevermind. I was wrong. The IPD is not actually being changed, as you have suggested.

Let me see what I can find out.

agamer
Honored Guest
Thanks cybereality for looking at it, but may be moot. To answer my earlier question, it seems to work as expected if I follow your recommendation of versions. Will try that first next time around.

Tested Unity 5.2.1p2 with OculusUtilities_0_1_2_beta and OVRCameraRig scales IPD correctly (tested a few different builds to Note4).

I just hadn't updated unity yet when I was testing scale and checking the forums. I guess this is a moot point if future updates are fixed as well. Loving how much easier it is to work with these kits these days and can't wait for CV1!

wheatgrinder
Explorer
Hey I thought the Best Known Method was to parent the player into an empty game object and scale the empty game object.. has this changed? Its been working for me..

Thanks