cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finally upgraded to Unity 5.2

wallawocko
Honored Guest
...And the new Mobile Utilities. However now whenever even the simplest application tries to lunch into the gear, i get the "please insert into gear", and then it launches the standard samsung gear VR storefront.

Any help?
Blank project, imported the Utililities.unityAsset, enabled Vr in the build settings, and copied my deviceId file into the Assets/Plugins/Android/Assets folder.

Any help would be much appreciated...

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4

cybereality
Grand Champion
5.2 is not currently working. See here:

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=25882
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

wallawocko
Honored Guest
So to downgrade I have to download the whole big shebang yet again?
Will try and report back...

wallawocko
Honored Guest
Working with 5.1.x

happycheesemast
Honored Guest
Upgrading to 5 in general has been a nightmare for me.
Disregarding the Oculus SDK, it seems like Unity 5 has been broken every element of Unity 4 projects in some way.
animations/scripts/shaders/lightmaps/ (okay meshes appear okay)

I know that things must advance; but I do wish tool/SDK developers would be more cautious about changes. It is the most frustrating thing about a digital career. There is always a better way to do something. No problem. But does it have to be implemented? Unity's Mecanim, though powerful, for example is a nightmare to deal with. The legacy animation system was effective and simple. (Yes I know it's still in there, but now old code gets new errors.)

Imagine going to your garage and finding that your hammer now has two handles side by side-- like a V with the hammer at the vertex. Why? Because you can swing it harder by using two arms to swing the hammer. Six months later, it has three handles so a friend can help. Users hate it? Find it too difficult? Let's just get rid of the hammer, and now users can use a new tool that is also a wrench. It's called a hamench. Frustrating. The hammer was fine. Focus on something else.

Oculus has been great on its technical front in my opinion. Wonderful SDK. Oculus, please continue to keep tools/SDK stable for a while and make sure change fits more than it frustrates.