cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D photo viewer?

tedfordteddy
Honored Guest
I've got a new lightfield camera that shoots 3D photos (Lytro Illum). I'd like to be able to view them in the Rift, so does anyone have recommendation on software that I can do that with?

I wonder how it works with head movement? I'm hoping moving your head around will be able to show the 3D movement to/from the photo....
5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
What formats does it output? Does it output a 3D model of the view or a depth map?

Anonymous
Not applicable
What formats does it output? Does it output a 3D model of the view or a depth map? Does it output left/right images?

cybereality
Grand Champion
@scottsquires: You realize you can edit your post (or delete it too), right?

rfosner
Honored Guest
You'll need to get it to export the image into a stereo-pair image - i.e. a single image with Left/Right or Top/Bottom stereo pair. This is for the many Oculus compatible viewers out there. There's currently no software I know of that can render variable depth images in an HMD.

joan
Protege
I wonder why Lytro did not develop a Light field viewer for the DK2 in house. Now that they have announced their spherical rig, it's clear that they have been thinking about VR for a while. Surely they must have made some experiments…

Yes the viewing volume is tiny and not at all sufficient for stereo, even on the Illum. But I would expect that by scaling everything up by 100x or so, it should enable some interesting experiences. Especially with macro photo of insects or small life.

And even if the camera doesn't capture video, it might still be possible to create timelapse macro photo and get pleasing results and never seen before experiences…