cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Run without Oculus home for use at exhibitions

Decagon
Explorer
Hi, we've bought an Oculus CV1 for use for developing and displaying artworks at exhibitions. Everything works fine with 3rd party VR apps enabled, however whenever the VR art software isn't running the headset displays Oculus home with a big ugly "please log in" message.

Ideally we'd like a way to not have this screen come up if for some reason the VR software isn't running, is there any way to just have the blank grid, or nothing at all?

Also we're a bit concerned that we need to log in to Oculus home to access the enable 3rd party VR apps option, we don't really want to have to use our login all over the place to get the headset set up and enable 3rd party apps, is there any way to enable 3rd party apps without logging in?

Is there a developer / kiosk edition of the runtime that doesn't include Home? That would be very useful for use cases like this.
10 REPLIES 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
You are not the only one requesting this future ... I am afraid it is in conflict with Oculus Rift marketing strategy ...

kojack
MVP
MVP
Sadly the only way at the moment is to stick to SDK 0.8 or below with a DK2.

There REALLY needs to be a bare version of the runtime with no Home / logins for use in these situations where we just want to run one thing we developed ourselves.

Decagon
Explorer
A kiosk runtime seems like an obvious thing to put out, as if people get to try Rifts at galleries / events they're more likely to buy one!

Cykyria
Explorer
I want to add my vote for kiosk mode. We need to display a VR experience on a trade show without Oculus Home, too

Nokhal
Protege
Hey. Same situation here. What I did is use a powershell script to check every second if any of the VR app is running (by checking the name of the process). if not, I launch a nearly empty projects which will display a blackscreen in VR.  

For overriding oculus home prompts, see this thread :    
 https://forums.oculus.com/fr/discussion/35302/using-rift-cv1-without-the-sensor

Expt626
Protege
Same problem here. I need an offline solution to setup Oculus Rift in a lab environment. No solution from Oculus. They did answered "we are looking into it" then no updates since then.

I missed the dk2 days... feels like developers like us that don't fit Oculus Business Model are been forsaken. Is Steam Vive any better?

Cykyria
Explorer
Don't want to start a Vive discussion here. But they have command line parameters to disable the Steam menu. They don't have a health warning at all. However, Oculus Rift IS pretty nice hardware and especially for seated experience much more comfortable.

Expt626
Protege
Personally I feel like Vive is a rushed job. Rift is more polished and I'm more comfortable working with Rift.

L4Z3RC47
Protege
I need a way to disable "home" via the 'xbox' button on PC. Any updates along these lines since the last post?