/ Forums
Applications are now open to attend this year's Oculus Connect. Join us October 11–12 and be first in line for an inside look at what’s new and next for VR.

Oculus Connect 4: Speaker Preview

We've revealed some of the Oculus speakers who'll present at Oculus Connect 4 this year! Click here to learn more.
New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

[Gear VR] Vulkan API support soon ?

motorsepmotorsep Posts: 1,083
Nexus 6
Just wondering if Oculus already working toward Vulkan API implementation in Mobile SDK (that's what UE4 Vulkan dev told me) for UE4. I know it's kinda early since Android N isn't out yet, but nevertheless it's good to know we'll have (or have not) power of Vulkan with us in Gear VR soon (or not) :)

Thanks

Comments

• vrdavebvrdaveb Posts: 1,557 Oculus Staff
    The current version of Vulkan is not suitable for Gear VR rendering due to a few key missing features (multiple queues, front buffer access, and more). We are working with Khronos to resolve this and I would expect UE4's existing Vulkan support to map reasonably well to the next version of Vulkan. Sorry but we can't give a timeframe for any of this, but it is something we are working on with Epic.
  • motorsepmotorsep Posts: 1,083
    Nexus 6
    vrdaveb said:
    The current version of Vulkan is not suitable for Gear VR rendering due to a few key missing features (multiple queues, front buffer access, and more). We are working with Khronos to resolve this and I would expect UE4's existing Vulkan support to map reasonably well to the next version of Vulkan. Sorry but we can't give a timeframe for any of this, but it is something we are working on with Epic.
    Oh, I see. Didn't think this iteration of Vulkan was not aimed at VR. Cool stuff, thanks!
  • AGlueckAGlueck Posts: 33 High Voltage Software
    It's been a about 3 months since this was posted. Is there an update about Vulkan and Gear?
    Nexus 6
    AGlueck said:
    It's been a about 3 months since this was posted. Is there an update about Vulkan and Gear?
    No, Vulkan for VR isn't even ready. That's something to ask Khronos Group about.
    Unfortunately, Vulkan on mobile still doesn't support front buffer or multiple queue rendering. We are working with Khronos to wire these up, but there isn't an ETA yet. My hope is that they will land in the next 3-6 months, but we can't promise that with any certainty.
    Nexus 6
    @vrdaveb

Someone from UE4 community said they use Vulkan for VR on Google Daydream with Pixel phone. If API isn't ready for mobile VR, how is it even possible?
    Google's compositor works differently from Gear VR's and they don't necessarily have to wait for front buffer access and multiple queues to arrive.
    Nexus 6
    Got it, thanks.
  • aussieburgerVRaussieburgerVR Posts: 84
    Hiro Protagonist
    motorsep said:
    @vrdaveb

Someone from UE4 community said they use Vulkan for VR on Google Daydream with Pixel phone. If API isn't ready for mobile VR, how is it even possible?
    Where did you see someone getting Vulkan working for daydream btw? I had thought it was also not supported there yet.
    Nexus 6
    motorsep said:
    @vrdaveb

Where did you see someone getting Vulkan working for daydream btw? I had thought it was also not supported there yet.
    Was talking to one dev on Discord chat. He said he uses Vulkan for his Daydream apps (he didn't specify whether it's UE4, Unity or custom engine).
    Nexus 6
    Wondering if there are any news about Vulkan API updates for Gear VR (I am guessing it's no use for S6 until it's updated with Android 7.x).
  • imperativityimperativity Posts: 1,180 Oculus Staff
    None at this time. Will advise if this changes any time in the near future.
    Nexus 6
    Just saw this: 

Not really sure what to make of it :)
    Hi,

Work is being done on Vulkan support. It is currently not ready for UE4 on Gear VR at this time. We'll make an announcement when we have a clear ETA.
  • TheSpacebarRiderTheSpacebarRider Posts: 3
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    Hi ! Any news about Gear VR Vulkan Support ?
    Nexus 6
    Do you really think it's going to happen 2 weeks after Oculus already said they are still working on it? (especially that GDC is around the corner)
  • TheSpacebarRiderTheSpacebarRider Posts: 3
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    Take it easy ! I'm just asking !  I don't know how many people working on it so I can't really evaluate the time to adapt the Gear to the new API. And I'm not asking if they have finished but just some news ! Maybe the state, maybe an estimation date on when Vulkan will be supported as an alpha state and released to the "public" !
  • luckyroyluckyroy Posts: 5
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    edited May 8

So in this video the speaker Cass Everett gives a hint at a shortcut by using vr support on android to take a regular vulkan app running on a single screen and use the buffer que hooking mechanism that android compositor uses to get the frames and display them, this is only useful in the case for having a single layer displayed. 
  • luckyroyluckyroy Posts: 5
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)

The speaker Cass Everett says that you can hook the android api using buffer ques to a vulkan app running a single screen that will render in VR a single layer scene.
    Nexus 6
    Yeah, but, no (official) word about it from Oculus. On top of that Epic would still have to implement it into UE4 (or Unity into Unity)
  • dreaterndreatern Posts: 11
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    Just bumping this to know about official news.  
    Any estimation of when we will have official vulkan support?
  • juanmilanesejuanmilanese Posts: 1
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)

@dreatern @juanmilanese

There will be a public announcement made when this is officially supported. This thread will also be updated with news and links. Please be patient.
    Nexus 6
    My guess is that until all S6 phones get N support, Vulkan support isn't coming. In USA, T-Mobile is still lacking N support for S6 (still listed as "under development").

On top of that Android 7 is a performance hog, so S6 + Android 7 + Vulkan might run similarly to S6 + Android 6 without Vulkan. Plus on top of that Android 7 is plagued with issues on Gear VR (vertical tearing, etc.)
    Nexus 6
    I just saw in the news that T-Mobile Galaxy S6 is finally getting Android 7. My guess is that it will complete the line up of Gear VR devices running Android 7.
    Nexus 6
    Well, now I have a choice to either update to Android 7 or keep postponing the update. I'd really like to know whether Vulkan support is coming soon to Gear VR. I don't want to update to Android 7 just to end up in the world of pain (VR performance wise).
  • firagabirdfiragabird Posts: 26
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    vrdaveb said:
    Google's compositor works differently from Gear VR's and they don't necessarily have to wait for front buffer access and multiple queues to arrive.
    Just curious, but what does Gear VR's compositor do differently vs. Google's that FB access and multiple queues are required? Is it related to a feature exclusive to Gear VR?
    S7 Exynos Nougat. 2015 & 2017 Gear VR.