cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unreal Engine 4 Integration 1.8.0 Released

cybereality
Grand Champion

Unreal Engine 4 Integration

These release notes describe changes to the Unreal Engine versions 4.12 and 4.13 available from the Oculus GitHub repository.

The Oculus UE4 integration ships with various versions of Unreal, and there is no external SDK per se. Clicking on the “Download” link above will redirect you to our Unreal Introduction, which walks through various options for working with the Oculus Unreal integration.

Unreal provides built-in support for Oculus Rift and Gear VR development on Windows, and Unreal apps run on the Oculus platform automatically apply stereoscopic rendering to the main camera as well as positional and orientation tracking for the Rift, or orientation tracking for Gear VR.

New Features

• Added support for the Oculus Guardian System, which visualizes the bounds of a user-defined Play Area. Note that it is currently unsupported by public versions of the Oculus runtime. See Guardian System Boundary Componenet for more information.
  • Added depth ordering support to VR compositor layers.
  • Added cubemap support for VR compositor overlays to 4.13 (mobile only).
  • Added Online Subsystem support for Regular Leaderboards and Cloudsaves.
  • Added a Blueprint for retrieving Oculus ID/Username.
  • Added Blueprints for UOculusRiftBoundaryComponent public methods.

API Changes

• Added OculusRiftBoundaryComponent API for the Oculus Guardian System.

Known Issues

• UE4.12 and 4.13 in Oculus GitHub repository: A significant drop in frame rate occurs when UE4 is not in focus in VR preview mode. To avoid this issue, uncheck the Use Less CPU when in Background inEdit > Editor Preferences > General (left sidebar) > Miscellaneous (left sidebar) > Performance.
  • Stereo Layer Position TypeWorld Locked is not currently supported for cylinder TimeWarp overlays.
https://developer3.oculus.com/downloads/game-engines/1.8.0/Unreal_Engine_4_Integration/
13 REPLIES 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Any luck we got some more Online Subsystem features exposed to blueprints? Or is it still just entitlement and OculusId ? Is there any ETA on getting the rest of the Online Subsystem features exposed to blueprints?

pekayatt
Expert Protege
Amazing job guys! I would like to know if there are any plans for Multi-View for GearVR integration. Last time I checked it was only available for PS4.

Kind regards,

vrdaveb
Oculus Staff
Multiview is currently in development and tentatively targeting 4.14. That could change if we run into any roadblocks.

brian_jew
Expert Protege
>Any luck we got some more Online Subsystem features exposed to blueprints?

Is there any specific set of blueprint features that you need that isn't covered by UE4's blueprints?
https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/BlueprintAPI/Online/index.html

pekayatt
Expert Protege

vrdaveb said:

Multiview is currently in development and tentatively targeting 4.14. That could change if we run into any roadblocks.

Thanks for the info! I am anxious to try it our!

Apart that, we had some problems that sometimes the Oculus review fail in a S7 device. I read on the forums that it was because there are two versions of S7 and one of it gives out problems with Unreal games. Is that fixed in this version? How can we make this work?

Kind regards,

vrdaveb
Oculus Staff
there are two versions of S7 and one of it gives out problems with Unreal games.

Which forum post was that? Both the Snapdragon and Exynos S7 versions should work with UE4. If you are seeing a crash or other issue, can you share details and logcat?

pekayatt
Expert Protege

vrdaveb said:

> there are two versions of S7 and one of it gives out problems with Unreal games.

Which forum post was that? Both the Snapdragon and Exynos S7 versions should work with UE4. If you are seeing a crash or other issue, can you share details and logcat?

@motorsep has posted here https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/comment/425455/#Comment_425455

Unfortunately we do not have access to the Snapdragon version, they only sell the Exynos in my country. The only feedback I got is the random fail on tests from the store (random, since the same package was approved).

Anonymous
Not applicable

brian_jew said:

>Any luck we got some more Online Subsystem features exposed to blueprints?

Is there any specific set of blueprint features that you need that isn't covered by UE4's blueprints?
https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/BlueprintAPI/Online/index.html

Actually if all of those were supported it would be awesome! but last time I asked specifically about the multiplayer session stuff for gearvr I was told it was not blueprint ready yet. Can I already use those "session" nodes for my co-op game? Many thanks in advance for the info!
Is there any documentation for specifically setting up a gearvr multiplayer game with blueprints? Would eliminate a lot of trial and error time...

We'd also like to use the achievement and leaderboard stuff which I have experience doing with google play via blueprints - so using the Oculus Online Subsystem it's implemented the same way blueprint side?

vrdaveb
Oculus Staff
@pekayatt, it sounds like you resolved your crash by disabling masked materials, correct? That is a known issue we have pointed out to Epic, but they (and we) haven't been able to reproduce it. If you have a prokect that we could use for testing, could you share it with us?