/ Forums
New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Announcing Gallery Apps for Oculus Store

VirtuaJulianVirtuaJulian Posts: 146 Oculus Staff

Hello VR devs,

Today we've unveiled a new section of our store — Gallery Apps. Gallery Apps will make a broader array of experiences available for Samsung Gear VR powered by Oculus and Rift, by relaxing our usual approaches to comfort, value, and polish.

With Gallery Apps, more developers can find their audience, gain feedback from people, and charge money for their work. For the best of Gallery Apps developers, this will be an opportunity to begin building a following for their future titles. All Gallery Apps are eligible for our Top Sellers and Recommended lists. We expect that the best of the Gallery Apps may also find their way into the wider Store as developers refine them and people use them.

Our Concepts section has been folded into this new section —apps that were previously in Concepts have converted into Gallery Apps.

For all those excited to explore the vanguard of VR, Gallery Apps will be its forefront. Enjoy!

Do I have to do anything different when I submit my app to the store?
No, but if you think your app is most appropriate for the Gallery Apps section, you can select the category as a recommendation when you submit.

Can developers make money with their Gallery Apps?
Absolutely. In fact, that’s one of the main reasons we wanted to add this section to the store – it gives developers a place to charge money for more experimental or less polished content that we normally curate. To that end, Gallery Apps will sometimes appear in our Top Sellers chart.

Are Gallery Apps rated for comfort?
No. Because we will be accepting and merchandising content in a less involved manner and it may not necessarily meet all of our guidelines for polish, all Gallery Apps will be listed as “Unrated” for comfort. You should still suggest a comfort rating when you submit your app, because we’d like to know what you think.

What is the main difference between this and Early Access?
Early Access gives people an inside look at ambitious VR projects in the making, and provides a chance to support the project with money and gain access to updates as the title evolves toward completion. Gallery Apps are not necessarily going to continue to evolve toward a “finished product” – most of them are submitted “as is.”

Comments

• stevenwirelessstevenwireless Posts: 8
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    So our Gala360 launched today in the Gallery section, but it can't be downloaded. We have 6 Galaxy devices, neither could download. 

It just showed: " Could not download "Gala360 - See the world " as showed in the screenshot.

Help please?

• jumblijumbli Posts: 74
    Hiro Protagonist
    Thank you for adding this section and allowing my game, Dimensional to be included. I'm a solo-dev and only started learning about game development after getting excited about the Oculus Kickstarter. I'm sure there are many like myself who are new to all this but keen to share their ideas. The new section feels like a good fit and the exposure from being included in Oculus Home is much appreciated. 
  • delphinius81delphinius81 Posts: 236
    Nexus 6
    edited October 2016
    @VirtuaJulian
    Our app, Fearless, has the same issue with not being downloadable on GearVR. We've tried pushing new builds, but that doesn't fix it. Sounds like some kind of CDN issue? Tried contacting our submissions team contact (and another store person directly) but have not had a response back yet.
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    I doubt it's not caused by builds, you can see all new launched Gallery Apps fail to download. 
    Nexus 6
    Also, we can no longer get new release channel builds to download (e.g. alpha channel). App flashes 0% like it's going to download and then just stops with no error at all.
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    Wish I could hide our app from store for a while until it's fixed. Negative user reviews piling up...
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    Gala360 can be downloaded now!  Seems problem solved!
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    @delphinius81 I can download Fearless now!
  • pjennesspjenness Posts: 652
    Neo
    edited October 2016
    Hi

Im thinking to release my Drifting in VR which is in alpha stage to Gallery (free) to get some feedback and exposure, instead of manually adding users to the alpha channel

Is that a valid use of Gallery?

Although alpha stage, it is usable and works fine. Just needs more work "Spit n polish"
    Where do we submit it...do we select the "Store" channel and beyond hat choose gallery as a category? Or is Gallery a new channel on the dashboard along with Store, Alpha,Beta,RC

Cheers

-P
  • fave1123fave1123 Posts: 1
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    Fn
    Neo

fave1123 said:
    Fn

Oooooooooo  K?

Anyways.   We've submitted our app as "Concept" as there is no Gallery option that I can see but mentioned Gallery in the submission notes.

Being that it is much less scrutinized is the approval process faster?
    2-3 weeks as per the email seems a long time for a gallery app?

Will be a great way to get feedback from a wider user group.

Thanks heaps for this. Hopefully this will be what was needed to replace the old "Share" system.

-P

Nexus 6
    The technical review should happen pretty quickly (it was a few days for us), but content review and overall decision could take longer.
  • sotoabrahamsotoabraham Posts: 46
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)

Hello VR devs,

Today we've unveiled a new section of our store — Gallery Apps. Gallery Apps will make a broader array of experiences available for Samsung Gear VR powered by Oculus and Rift, by relaxing our usual approaches to comfort, value, and polish.

With Gallery Apps, more developers can find their audience, gain feedback from people, and charge money for their work. For the best of Gallery Apps developers, this will be an opportunity to begin building a following for their future titles. All Gallery Apps are eligible for our Top Sellers and Recommended lists. We expect that the best of the Gallery Apps may also find their way into the wider Store as developers refine them and people use them.

Our Concepts section has been folded into this new section —apps that were previously in Concepts have converted into Gallery Apps.

For all those excited to explore the vanguard of VR, Gallery Apps will be its forefront. Enjoy!

Do I have to do anything different when I submit my app to the store?
    No, but if you think your app is most appropriate for the Gallery Apps section, you can select the category as a recommendation when you submit.

Can developers make money with their Gallery Apps?
    Absolutely. In fact, that’s one of the main reasons we wanted to add this section to the store – it gives developers a place to charge money for more experimental or less polished content that we normally curate. To that end, Gallery Apps will sometimes appear in our Top Sellers chart.

Are Gallery Apps rated for comfort?
    No. Because we will be accepting and merchandising content in a less involved manner and it may not necessarily meet all of our guidelines for polish, all Gallery Apps will be listed as “Unrated” for comfort. You should still suggest a comfort rating when you submit your app, because we’d like to know what you think.

What is the main difference between this and Early Access?
    Early Access gives people an inside look at ambitious VR projects in the making, and provides a chance to support the project with money and gain access to updates as the title evolves toward completion. Gallery Apps are not necessarily going to continue to evolve toward a “finished product” – most of them are submitted “as is.”

How can I get my already approved for keys app moved into the new Gallery?  I am unable to switch the price of the app or its category since its been approved for keys.

I've reached out to submissions@oculus.com and created a ticket at tickets.oculus.com with no luck. 

Can you have someone move my app into the Gallery? 

Account name: SotoAbraham
    Organization: 1 Man Team Studios
    Application: Arcade Basketball VR
    Application Id: 1149962291709986
  • SsosumSsosum Posts: 18
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    I do not have an APP yet to put in gallery.  but I do need advice. My art lends itself to viewing in the VR world. How can I get it to the people who are in to virtual reality?
    Neo
    Ssosum said:
    I do not have an APP yet to put in gallery.  but I do need advice. My art lends itself to viewing in the VR world. How can I get it to the people who are in to virtual reality?
    This might actually be worth a separate thread.

"Gallery" is actully Oculus's term for less moderated/quality controlled apps from devs, than the official regulated Oculus Store Apps.  If you a familiar with Oculus history, this is similar to the previous "Share" or "Concepts" areas that devs could use for WIP apps.

In this case "Gallery" doesnt mean the same as what you'd consider an "Art Gallery" in real life, its just a less regulated area of the store.

Im not sure what "My art lends itself to viewing in the VR" means as you refer above. Perhaps it IS an art gallery, or 3d models display?? Its probably worth starting a separate thread for your project so we can lend continual advice, as this is an announcement thread of the store area, so might not get as many views.

Good luck

-P

Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    I appreciate all of the VR communities help. I am not sure how to explain myself because I am an artist with great love of the new technology  but so virgin n in my knowledge compared to those who devote their lives to it. I apologize. But love the thread idea. Basically I tell stories through
    panoramic art on Chinese scrolls and in folding albums. But they are ,as throughout the history of scrolls, delicate and difficult to exhibit. some of mine are 70-100 feet in length. I have pages at a time listed in online galleries but the best way to view the albums as a continuous story is viewing my printed magazines and books on issuu.com with a VR headset my work  on issuue.com allows viewers  to see it in 360  or 180 degree mode.  I also am now shooting the images in 180  degrees but those I have not figured out how to get to the public.  I bought the oculus APP on Van Gogh'S cafe. But I have painted van Gogh in my style ialbums over 70' so instead of being in his bollard painting I have 70' of Van Gogh to immerse oneself in.  I just want people to be able to view because it is  so awesome to see in VR world. An idea. Go on to issuu.com I have 69  printed books and magazines. They are under my name debbi chan and can be downloaded for free. I welcome you to go play and I think some if you with an interest in storytelling,  graphic  novels, or panoramic art will enjoy. I have a diversity of subjects ranging from landscape,  circuses, hunting, to dogs, birds, gardens, falconry, horse racing, jousting,  and  much  more. If you have ideas or thoughts let me know so I can perfect this old form of storytelling and bring it to the  new world of virtual reality.
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    And the sharing part would be a fine idea. I just don't  know how else to bring the painted stories to the viewing public...
    Neo
    Ssosum said:
    ....But love the thread idea..

Did you make a new Forum post for your idea?  As posting on this announcement is prob the wrong place.

I took a look at your stuff, and can give ideas once you have a post up and running.

Cheers

-P
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    I hate to ask this but how or where do I do this new post?

Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    Pjenness...I think I got the new forum posted.. I am anxious to hear your ideas. 
  • Finger-OculusFinger-Oculus Posts: 9
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    Anyone know where the option for selecting 'gallery apps' is in the submission process? I may be being a dumbass but I couldn't see it in the category tabs!
  • moonbearmoonbear Posts: 35
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    @Finger-Oculus Select the concept category, that is gallery apps I think.
  • Finger-OculusFinger-Oculus Posts: 9
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    Okay resubmitting.. the only category available from the drop down menu are

Apps
    Early Access
    Entertainment
    Games

no gallery or concepts.... what am I missing here? :|
    Nexus 6
    You always submit to go into the full store, but if Oculus thinks Gallery section is better, they'll assign you there instead.
  • moonbearmoonbear Posts: 35
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    Hmm.. This makes sense. Thanks, @delphinius81