cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(Tip) Adjusting color saturation, brightness etc. and more on your Rift

flexy123
Superstar
You may know that the Rift doesn't have a control panel like a monitor.
But you can STILL adjust things like saturation, (Nvidia) digital vibrance and probably the other stuff (gamma, contrast) as well.
(Plus an important other setting, output dynamic range on Nvidia, should you have the problem that your blacks are not black enough).

Unplug your Rift and then use a HDMI cable and connect a monitor to the same HDMI output. (USUALLY, my normal monitor is connected via DVI -> HDMI).

Now, with your monitor connected to the same output where you normally plug in your Rift, bring up Nvidia control panel. You will see that you can make your Rift even black / white etc. when you click "desktop color settings" and play with the "digital vibrance setting". (Although I prefer it at 45% or so). You can also play with the other sliders possibly.

Important: Now, still with your monitor connected (instead of the Rift), in Nvidia control panel go to "Change Resolution" and then you will see further below a setting for "Output Dynamic Range". This has to be at "FULL". If this is at "limited" which can sometimes happen in older drivers etc. you will get washed out colors and gray instead of black. Short: Your view in the rift will look like total SHIATE and you won't even know why since you cannot access Nvidia control panel for the Rift normally.

Now, after you set everything, unplug the HDMI monitor cable again and re-connect your Rift. It will now have and keep those settings. You can use this trick to adjust color saturation and especially if you have the problem with your blacks not black enough.

Related Question: Does an app exist to be able to adjust these (and other?) settings without the "trick" of having to use a HDMI cable and a monitor?
15 REPLIES 15

drkaii
Explorer
This keeps coming up so I'll comment here - the contrast, brightness and gamma settings don't apply. Only the digital vibrance and hue.

flexy123
Superstar
Make note that "proper" colors (hue, vibrance etc.) is essential for the Rift and goes BEYOND of simply being cosmetic. (As would be the case with a normal monitor where you can simply adjust colour vibrancy like you like it best).

The reason here is that the Rift uses deliberately "distorted" coloured "rainbows" to compensate for the barrel distortion. (Said differently: The Rift requires colours to make a clear picture. You can test this by turning vibrancy all the way down to b/w, the picture then becomes very blurred).

One could assume that how the settings are "out of the box" is already optimal for the best image, so play with these settings only with caution. (Although I personally turned vibrance 5-10% or so down since the colours in the Rift for my taste are just way too "popping")

Krronoss
Honored Guest
Is this a permanent thing or do you need to do it every time you turn the PC on?

flexy123
Superstar
The settings seem to keep "per port" (HDMI, DVI etc.) and you don't need to do them every time. But you need to do them after a driver update and a major Win update, like the recent one.

Gryzor22x
Explorer
Since 384.76 nvidia driver, this "trick" doesn´t work. Anybody knows how digital color vibrance could be changed again???

Gryzor22x
Explorer
bump

Gryzor22x
Explorer
Hi any support about this? Does is it planned to change colour vibration in core 2.0? I would like to know. Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable
With Core 2.0 you can see the rift in the Nvidia control panel and it appears that all the normal controls are available, I have not tried any tweaking but the ability to do so does appear to be available now.

flexy123
Superstar
WHAT ARE YOUR FOR REAL? This would be awesome. I haven't checked on Core 2.0 yet, but now I am getting curious. I wonder whether they also fixed other stuff as well, eg. Spud.