cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update push notifications in standard to Android format - when and how ?

motorsep
Rising Star
I have never seen any notifications except for Oculus software and some stuff for VR videos ("come and watch <name> in VR")

I was thinking here about getting users back into your games and apps. Current system sucks, because 99% of the time you aren't in the VR. So when we, devs, propagate updates for our games/apps, end-users don't even know that the game/app was updated, unless they put on Gear VR.

Isn't there a way to pop a notification on the phone, outside of Oculus Home and VR, to let users know their apps/games receive updates? (just like any other non-VR apps/games do)

If it's already doable (but then why no one uses it?!), how would I push notification to my users? (using UE4 here)

Thanks
2 REPLIES 2

motorsep
Rising Star

Hi,

Sorry for the late update here. I've been informed that you can use GCM for push notifications. I'm trying to get more information about this currently. I will update you if I get anything else.

Aye, thanks. I wish I knew what GCM is  😮

itsafeature
Explorer
I would love to know more about this too. I am guessing their would be complication with launching the intent due to it being launched from within oculus as apossed to a standalone app.