Oculus Connect 4 will feature more than 30 sessions across four tracks: Develop, Design, Distribute, and Future.

We kick things off with a keynote address on October 11!
New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

[Gear VR] Using StereoLayers to render stereo cubemap a la Oculus 360 photos - how ?

motorsepmotorsep Posts: 1,087
Nexus 6
A question popped up on UE4 forums about rendering cubemaps in UE4 in the same quality as they are in Oculus 360 photo app.

As far as I know, it's not possible to do such thing using standard to UE4 sky sphere method, because not only sky spheres are not timewarped, but also they act as standard world texture when it comes to mipmaps. So in order for sky sphere to look good, it can not have any mipmaps.

Then I read this doc https://developer3.oculus.com/documentation/mobilesdk/latest/concepts/mobile-rendering/#mobile-perf-guides-resolution and I remembered that Stereo Layers support cubemap and are timewarped. So I figured that perhaps using StereoLayers we can render cubemap and Oculus Mobile SDK do the same thing to it as it does to cubemaps in Oculus 360 photos app.

Am I thinking in the right direction ?

Now, the questions is how to render stereo cubemap using StereoLayers in UE4, if it's even possible at all ?

The end goal is to be able to make either a 360 photo gallery a la Oculus 360 app, or to use that for archviz - have several rooms pre-rendered in stereo cubemaps and have clients transition from "room" to "room" by swapping cubemaps in StereoLayers.

Thanks

Comments

• imperativityimperativity Posts: 1,321 Oculus Staff
    In unreal engines 4.13+ there is the ability to use a cubemap overlays to perform this function.

See the documentation here:

https://developer3.oculus.com/documentation/game-engines/latest/concepts/unreal-overlay/

To create an overlay:

1. Create an Actor and add it to the level. If you don’t want the Actor to be visible in the scene, use an Empty Actor.
    2. Select the Actor, select Add Component, and choose Stereo Layer.
    3. Under the Stereo Layer options, set Stereo Layer Type to Quad Layer or Cylinder Layer.
    4. Set Stereo Layer Type to Face LockedTorso Locked, or World Locked.
    5. Set the overlay dimensions in world units in Quad Stereo Layer Properties or Cylinder Stereo Layer Properties.
    6. Select Supports Depth in Stereo Layer to set your compositor layer to not always appear on top of other scene geometry. Note that this may affect performance.
    7. Configure Texture and additional attributes as appropriate.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

• motorsepmotorsep Posts: 1,087
    Nexus 6
    I already know all that, but thanks :)

The question is how to get stereo cubemap image to render in stereo using StereoLayer component.

For once, UE4 doesn't support stereo cubemaps or even cubemap strips, like Oculus does. So the only way to load stereo cubemaps into UE4 is to make separate left/right eye cubemaps compliant with UE4 requirements, or left/right eye equirectangular panoramas, which most likely aren't supported by StereoLayers.

Then the question is how to set stereo pair for StereoLayer. Currently I am not away of any way to do that. There is only one image slot in the StereoLayer component details panel, so only 1 mono cubemap is supported.
    I'll do my best to get you some clarity on the feasibility of these questions in the near future.
    Then the question is how to set stereo pair for StereoLayer. Currently I am not away of any way to do that. There is only one image slot in the StereoLayer component details panel, so only 1 mono cubemap is supported.

It should be called LeftTexture in Cubemap Overlays Properties.

• newtorinewtori Posts: 1
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    I have the same problem with Stereo layer. I've tried using .jpeg, .dds and .HDR textures in LeftTexture and Texture properties but the cubemap layer does not appear. Is there anyone who already managed to make the stereo layer cubemap works at least once?
    edited September 14
    @newtori

Can you tell me which version of Unity you are using? The setting may have changed since this post was made.
  • motorsepmotorsep Posts: 1,087
    Nexus 6
    Do you mean UE4 @imperativity ? My OP was about using it in UE4...
    edited September 14
    @motorsep

My bad! I walked into this thread with a different context. It is unchanged in Unreal for now from what I can tell.