cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mervils now has Oculus Touch support and is 50% off!

VitruviusVR
Protege
Mervils- https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/349692435154738/

A look at the new Touch Controllers!
2qko93c4oqyw.jpg

12 REPLIES 12

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Fun! I paused my gameplay on what appeared to be the last level per the latest release. I need to check it out again!

VitruviusVR
Protege

Zenbane said:

Fun! I paused my gameplay on what appeared to be the last level per the latest release. I need to check it out again!

You should! And actually if you have the Touch controllers the last level/  Boss Fight plays even better with them 🙂

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I beat this game finally, just a few short days ago. There's something special about this little gem. Great work, and I hope to see more from this team.

The Touch support was flawless, although to be honest I was already so comfortable with the Xbox controller that I kept going back to Gamepad instead of Oculus Touch.

Some quick notes...

The colors in the Shark level were great, and probably my favorite environment:

wfx6qawedlgd.jpg

The final stage had a great atmosphere, and it actually reminded me of one of the first VR games I played, Crystal Rift. I like how quickly the scenes can go from happy-go-lucky straight to demonic:

pt0zbzjn5tkq.jpg

The ending sequence was a good closing. I often get worried with an end-game, as not many titles are able to let the player feel a sense of resolution. Even if it's a small title, there is an art to ending the game.

9fabxnfr1t3i.jpg

Lastly:
When I ended up back in the Home World after the ending sequence, I was excited to find the Castle doors open. It was nice inside but it would have been cool to have a mini-game as an option. Something the player can do to collect more coins maybe? Considering that the player spends the entire game wondering what is inside that Castle, it would do well to have something interactive inside!

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Mervils is the first game from the makers of Shadow Legend. Right now I think there's like a 70 % price reduction - from $20 to $6, I just bought the game:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/349692435154738

https://youtu.be/Q0msKrDchD8

“Mervils for the Vive is like an open-ended Lucky's Tale”
UploadVR

“Mervils sits somewhere between a 3D vision of the Legend of Zelda video games and Super Mario 64.”
VRFocus

“VR games are often short...and Mervils: A VR Adventure is not one of those games.”
Tom's Hardware

ABOUT THIS GAME

Mervils is an open world RPG platformer built specifically for third-person VR

Your story begins in the picturesque Mervil countryside with your good friend "Merlyn the Blue". Merlyn is an ancient wizard of the time and foresee's the resurrection of a great enemy. He fears it is the return of the Dark Lord, “Balazar”.

Armed with a few coins and a great Mervil sword, you embark on your journey. Throughout the five vibrant worlds you meet Mervils, Wizards, and ghosts of the past that tell stories of the power found within The Great Mervil Book. 

Only a fool-hardy Mervil would set-out on such a forsaken quest to defeat"Balazar the Evil". Will you be cunning enough to find the pages of the Great Mervil Book and have the power to stop Balazar's imminent attack? The task will not be an easy one! The pages are scattered in the darkest depths of the Mervil Kingdom and "Balazar's" enemies are on the hunt. It's up to you, the bravest hero in all the lands to rebind the pages of The Great Mervil Book and save the Kingdom from "Balazar's" destruction! 

Features

• Upgrade your armor! Your adventurer begins the journey with a simple sword, no armor, and merely a few coins, but the Mervil Armory is filled with helmets, bracers, pauldrons, axes, and swords to help defeat your enemies!

• Learn the stories of old. The Mervil Kingdom has been in existence for thousands of years and the local villagers know the lay of land better than any other. Their stories and quests will light the way through the darkest corners of the Mervil worlds.

• Catapults, Ballistas, and Cannons! Your sword is not the only weapon in the lands, find hidden catapults and ballistas to destroy Balazar's enemies and seek out cannons to fly high through the Mervil skies!

• Travel by Rail, Ice, and Sea! Balazar's attack is imminent and you'll need to find quicker ways to travel across the lands. Along the way you will find a Mine Cart, a Sleigh at the top of an icy tundra, and a Pirate Ship in Crystal Bay. Be wary though, travelling at great speed comes with great consequences!

• Put your mind to the test, literally! Throughout your journey you will find puzzles designed specially for VR, use your mind to unlock hidden treasure, to navigate through complex labyrinths and even to balance on a tight rope thousands of feet in the air!

• Relax in the Mervil Countryside. Your quest is not all battles and puzzles, take your time and talk to the local fishermen, roast marshmallows late at night by the fire, and take in the waves along the coast of Paradise Cove.

• Enjoy a jolly Celtic melody throughout. Mervils love their music and you'll find each village playing their own Celtic tune as you progress through the worlds!

• The game can be played "Roomscale" with Motion controllers or "sitting/standing" with a gamepad on the HTC Vive or Oculus Rift.

• Play comfortably! Choose from a "Blink", smooth follow, or custom camera mode.
Maybe I can go for ss 2.5 in this game!  😄 B)  

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

JeremyC85
Heroic Explorer
Yea I also bought it under this sale... It's not super polished and has HORRIBLE voice acting.. But I'm actually LOVING the game so far!

I think platformers in VR are great.. And this one is a ton of fun! 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I strongly recommend playing through Mervils first, then Shadow Legend. Similar RPG world, including music and familiar voice acting. I'm a fan of this franchise!

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
5txp7elwb0lr.jpg

Mervils might not be taxing on the rig (low poly levels, low texture res), maybe even a candidate for Quest, but I was impressed with the game yesterday. The world feels alive and you get many small quests to solve. Great game for kids, if they understand English. Trailers don't do the game justice - you can't show VR in 2D.

But I swear when I activated "Instant follow" on the camera - and smooth turning too - that the first time I turned 180 degrees my stomach did the same  :# 😄 That's why the devs want you to sit down when playing like that  😉 I you choose to stand, "instant follow" and smooth turning are deactivated - but you can cheat the system by choosing seated and then stand up  >:) - And that's how real VR legs are grown  B)

SS 2.0 worked perfectly (=solid 90 fps), but the bright colors do little to hide SDE. I think this game would be even more awesome on Rift-S, and you don't need any high-precision tracking for this game. I did think that $20 for many will be too much for this game, which also is showing its age - but it's a steal for just $6!

Looking forward to play some more!

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Kinda late to the party but I saw this on the Oculus 2020 summer sale for 67% off = aud$9.99 so I thought I'd give it a go.  Like Rune said it looks very nice with the Rift cv1 @ 2.0x SS.  I played it for about an hour and I gotta say I felt a little motion sickness, mainly because I was jumping and turning around too much.  Looks like it's going to be a lot more fun once I learn to turn a bit more smoothly and improve my VR legs a bit more. 

I understand that this plays well with the Quest wireless with Virtual Desktop so I'll give this a go tomorrow and report back.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
This game is still a favorite. I need to create a "secret gems" thread, since titles like this will definitely be on it.